1.1 Copy Protection Update

• ED Team

Since my last post on this subject, Eagle has been very busy researching alternative copy protection schemes for 1.1. In the end, and after working closely with Starforce, Eagle feels confident that Starforce provides the best protection against theft. Eagle had several concerns (some shared by this community) regarding Starforce, but Starforce has addressed these concerns and Eagle will be using an advanced version of Starforce for 1.1.

As many of you have probably already noticed, the revised Demo does not contain any Starforce drivers however.

For the full version of 1.1, users may install the game as many times as they wish, there is no limit. They may re-register the game up to three times, but it will not be necessary to re-register unless you have changed over 40% of your hardware configuration. When uninstalling the full version of 1.1, all Starforce files will be removed. When installing 1.1, there is also a Starforce notification message.

While, Eagle realizes this will not make everyone happy, they feel that this provides the best protection of their hard work.

From my understanding, this decision has been fianalized.

Bests,

Matt

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOD BLESS ED!!! :D

HOPEFULLY LOCKON : FLAMING CLIFFS WILL BE ONE OF THE UN-CRACKED GAMES FOREVER. :D

ED SHOULD GET EVERY SINGLE PENNY & THEIR PROFIT FOR THEIR HARD WORK. :lol:

now we need a multiplayer CD KEY CHECK TOOO... this will filter out a few too..

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanx for the message wags.

However I WOULD be much happier if I could be able to still play this game 5+ years later even if starforce decides to clean up its website of old games registration.

and I also don't wanna HANG with one antique PC to play Flaming cliffs :roll:

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Wags, I suggest a less drastic route - let people re-register as much as they like, just disallow the same copy from playing together on the net. I think most people have that intent when sharing. Just perhaps see if it is possible to make some sort of concession for server owners (like granting them two keys) which in itself is somewhat dangerous for the time being (gettinginnundanted with requests for extra keys for example) but when the dedicated server comes to be that problem will go away.

My other issue is -I still play JF18 ... what if I want to play lomac 5 eyars from now, for whateevr reason?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Re: 1.1 Copy Protection Update

Thanks for the update,

They may re-register the game up to three times, but it will not be necessary to re-register unless you have changed over 40% of your hardware configuration.

Do we know what ED's intention is here? Is it actually to make us pay if we exceed the three config changes as part of their revenue stream, or do we expect that they will waive this and reset the counter unless they think someone is taking the piss?

Bear in mind that while three new computers last a long time, if you are fiddling around to optimise a new system you can make three major changes in as many hours!

Mike

Given the 'there's no limit' part it sounds like there is no connection between registering and installing the game - in other words: registration does not seem to be a requirement to play. Correct?

what would be the point of all this copy protection if there is no connection between registration and playing.

i.e., the game probably WILL NOT START UNTIL u have registered. I am guessing a hardware ID submit and a tool that online activates the game. That would make it harder to crack...kinda like steam activation of Hl2.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Roger then. I dont have the money to spend on computer upgrades anyway.

So...are we there yet Wags? :D

well said :P

bring it on.......ED...:D :twisted:

Since the copyright protection has been fianalized, any chance on FC being released soon? 8)

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Thanks for the update,

They may re-register the game up to three times, but it will not be necessary to re-register unless you have changed over 40% of your hardware configuration.

Do we know what ED's intention is here? Is it actually to make us pay if we exceed the three config changes as part of their revenue stream, or do we expect that they will waive this and reset the counter unless they think someone is taking the piss?

Bear in mind that while three new computers last a long time, if you are fiddling around to optimise a new system you can make three major changes in as many hours!

Mike

Nobody from ED has EVER said we would have to pay again after three re-registers. AFAIK that was just some paranoid delusion that was picked up and spread amidst the mass hysteria.

From my understanding the hardware check is purely to prevent piracy. So I would assume that if the registering software thinks something funny is going on PROOF of purchase may be needed before a new registration key is supplied (after the initial three registrations....But this would need to be confirmed by ED. I am guessing here).

I must admit though, if ED would actually state clearly how the Starforce protection will work from a consumer's point of view, it could put a lot of minds at rest.

Before I put a cent out on this I expect a full on explaination from the dev team say what happens if I drop a drive and need to reinstall? Does this send info of my system over the net so that they store the config to know what has changed and what has not?

If ED goes under as happens with almost all software companies do we lose our game?

If they don't have a full FAQ that answers everything to my satisfaction, I will wait for this to be cracked before I buy it (what will it be a day?). As long as the cracked version will run with no problems I will get it anyway if not, I guess I will have to not get a game I really want to show my lack of support for this type of system invasion.

*sigh* :roll:

the STARFORCE driver thingy is not system invasion.

man!! that thing has been hyped an spread like wild fire...adding flames by every sceptical member. :(

I agree!! guess ED should clarify all our doubts.

Wags, I suggest a less drastic route - let people re-register as much as they like, just disallow the same copy from playing together on the net.

Vast majority of gamers do not play over the net! This is specialy the case with combat flight simulators!

So I do support ED in implementing as tough as possible copy protection scheme! Remember, there is only a 10 000 to 15 000 (my estimate) people in the world that are playing hard core flight simulators such as Lock On.

I certaly hope that ED do their best to protect their hard work and to sell many more then 15 000 copies of FC!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Do we know what ED's intention is here? Is it actually to make us pay if we exceed the three config changes as part of their revenue stream ...

Ohhh, boy! Don’t be ridicules!!! You are not a programmer and have never written 500 000 lines of code, have you? And then watch a pirate sell a copy of a decade of your work for 2 US dollars (little more then 1 Euro)!

After you write more then half a million lines of code into a project, then return here and we can discuss copy protection with you, all right!!! Also I will be more than happy to talk to you about “revenue stream” issues…

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Do we know what ED's intention is here? Is it actually to make us pay if we exceed the three config changes as part of their revenue stream ...

Ohhh, boy! Don’t be ridicules!!! You are not a programmer and have never written 500 000 lines of code, have you? And then watch a pirate sell a copy of a decade of your work for 2 US dollars (little more then 1 Euro)!

After you write more then half a million lines of code into a project, then return here and we can discuss copy protection with you, all right!!! Also I will be more than happy to talk to you about “revenue stream” issues…

Have you writte 500000 lines of code? Have you written 5? 50? 500?!?!

WHo the heck made YOU the authority all the sudden?

ED can speak for themselves.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yeah ... your estimate is off by about an order of magnitude or so ;)

I certanly hope so! :wink:

i would appreciate a full clarifying statement from ED.

PRECISE Rules Of Engagement, if you like it...

i REALLY, REALLY want to buy FC... but i´d rather be OVER-informed than the alternative...

what is 40% change in hardware?

what will happen is the 3 activations are used? i work in the IT business, so i upgrade a LOT... will i be able to get another 3 upon proof of purchase?

is it really that hard to REALLY clarify people?

:roll: :?

Have you writte 500000 lines of code? Have you written 5? 50? 500?!?!

WHo the heck made YOU the authority all the sudden?

ED can speak for themselves.

Clam down my friend!

The most I’ve written was about a thousand lines in Visual Basic. The company I work for has a software department and we use similar copy protection scheme as what ED is going to do with FC.

And I know that the Main Programmer in our group have written close to a million lines of code. And I do know what his opinion is when it comes to copy protection and protecting his work! And I do agree with him and fully agree with ED’s decision to protect their hard work.

Regards,

BTW, thanks for the info Wags,

i would appreciate a full clarifying statement from ED.

what will happen is the 3 activations are used? i work in the IT business, so i upgrade a LOT... will i be able to get another 3 upon proof of purchase?

I am in the same boat... what happens after 3 are used?

Thanks,

Brett

yes bring it on new mb and cpu wont come until 5 months or more, that should last a year then 2 more changes and another game should be out by them HINT HINT 8)

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

Thanks for the update,

Mike

Thats hilarious if you are going through that many configs over 40 % of hardware you need a TEST COMP , If I had that kind of stability in my life i would rob banks and commit suicide if caught.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/