Operation flashpoint 2, or Arma 2?

deadsmell

Just curious what you guys are going to opt for.

Personally, I have been in the mood for some good fast action adrenaline pumping, thinking on your feet tactics, that put your reflexes to the test, and isnt too overly complicated (control wise/and im talking as far as shooters go).

Im hoping operation flashpoint 2 delivers that kind of experience, but also has that "authentic" feel.

While Arma 2 looks fantastic, I'm still skeptical that it wont be plagued by the shoddy controls, and the over-emphasis on commanding 8 retarded AI soldiers.

No doubt I will be getting both though.:smilewink:

I guess I just want to be able to play it with a 360 controller, and I have been trying to configure Arma to work well with a 360 controller, but it just doesnt seem to fit.

For the record, I have been looking to Arma for a good infantry/tank experience, but im not really a mouse and keyboard kind of guy when it comes to shooters. I like to sit back and relax with the controls in my lap.

Anyway I just wanted to share and see what you guys think, cuz im waiting to go have lunch and now its time.:music_whistling:

Oh yeah, anyone know if operation flashpoint2 will have track ir support? 6DOF?

Edited by deadsmell

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I guess I just want to be able to play it with a 360 controller"

You lost me right there :) Mouse is way better than a pad in my opinion. Also, I use my CH gear for the helis and jets.

ArmA is great because it isn't the typical fast action FPS. I hope they expand on their ideas. ArmA for me.

+1 Deadsmell... I've never used my 360 controller for a pc game yet, might be the one!

Why thank you sir! :thumbup:

heinkeee6, yeah im hoping they get it right too. All in all from what ive seen it looks like they are doing a fantastic job with it though, and I know that they are trying to make it as realistic as possible (supposedly all the ballistics modeling is in there), while also providing faster more intense action. They are aware of what the fans want, but are also trying to change the experience to appeal to a broader audience, which in the case of Operation Flashpoint, I think its the right decision both business wise and gameplay wise, as long as they get it right. Hopefully they will. Of course we never know until we get our hands on it.

Im gonna go ahead and link that short video of the tank firing here for those that have not seen it yet

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37928.html

Tell me that isnt the coolest tank firing youve ever seen in a game. lol. Im really looking forward to this one.

Edited by deadsmell
  • Like 1

Well, after looking into it, OP Flash may not be all that after all. Now this isnt concrete yet, but from what ive gathered over on the forums for it, they arent even sure if the game will support track ir OR even have the free look function.

The very fact that the free look function itself isnt 100% verified in-game, is a big red flag that this project is being mismanaged, and it's most likely being geared solely towards the console market, and we all know what that means.

some serious watering down.

Again, nothings for sure yet, but I been around enough to know when i smell something funny.

What a bummer. It'd be a real shame to do the operation flashpoint name like that.

I guess ill have to keep trying different configurations with arma and see if i cant get it dialed in better.

I really want a shooter that i can play on pc that i actually enjoy, and can sit back and relax with.

ok well i think ive stuck my foot in mouth enough for one day. better stop now.

Commanding 8 retarded AI soldiers? Sorry mate youve got it all wrong. ArmA is meant to be played online with tactical gaming squads, not with AI.

Also if you are looking for "Fast paced", forget arma games, go with some shoot'em'up game that get you straight into the action - Like the new flashpoint for example.

In ArmA it may take an hour before you get anything fast paced, scouting ahead takes time, transportation takes time, briefing the mission and plan based on scouting results to all players.. loading up all the gear.... etc etc.. Often some people in some of the fireteams dont get any kills. It's called realism.

There is no such thing as OFP2 - It is now know as OFP Dragon Rising as they have no right to call it OFP2 anymore, as its not a sequel. It has absolutely nothing to do with original OFP, only the name. Makers of this new flashpoint DID NOT make the original flashpoint.

You should also be aware that some stuff out there for OFP are RENDERS, not actual gameplay.

What comes to that tank video, i don't see anything spectacular in there, big muzzle flash thats all :P

New flashpoint uses some arcade car racing game engine, does not have freelook, has arcadish hud and whatnot - it's basically a COD clone, nothing "sim" about it as far as we know.

Oh, sims and consoles are not going to happen, no way youll get anything even remotely realistic on consoles, just dumbed down versions.

OFP: DR is a console game ported to PC, and we all know those fail, horribly. Arma2 is for PC and likely will be dumbed down to consoles :)

Edited by Grodin

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Commanding 8 retarded AI soldiers? Sorry mate youve got it all wrong. ArmA is meant to be played online with tactical gaming squads, not with AI.

Also if you are looking for "Fast paced", forget arma games, go with some shoot'em'up game that get you straight into the action - Like the new flashpoint for example.

In ArmA it may take an hour before you get anything fast paced, scouting ahead takes time, transportation takes time, briefing the mission and plan based on scouting results to all players.. loading up all the gear.... etc etc.. Often some people in some of the fireteams dont get any kills. It's called realism.

There is no such thing as OFP2 - It is now know as OFP Dragon Rising as they have no right to call it OFP2 anymore, as its not a sequel. It has absolutely nothing to do with original OFP, only the name. Makers of this new flashpoint DID NOT make the original flashpoint.

You should also be aware that some stuff out there for OFP are RENDERS, not actual gameplay.

What comes to that tank video, i don't see anything spectacular in there, big muzzle flash thats all :P

New flashpoint uses some arcade car racing game engine, does not have freelook, has arcadish hud and whatnot - it's basically a COD clone, nothing "sim" about it as far as we know.

Oh, sims and consoles are not going to happen, no way youll get anything even remotely realistic on consoles, just dumbed down versions.

OFP: DR is a console game ported to PC, and we all know those fail, horribly. Arma2 is for PC and likely will be dumbed down to consoles :)

Totally agree with you. Pleas guys don't start the consoles/pc fight because the pc will always win if it's about realism :lol:

Yes, I understand how Arma is "supposed" to be played, but unfortunately, in my experience that is not the "reality" of "how" Arma is actually played.

In my experience, despite all the fan sites, nobody even plays Arma. Theres a ton of servers for it, but day after day those servers are all empty.

Sure there are a handful of exclusive "tactical gaming squads" that may do some co-operative play together, but that's it. Often times these guys are no better than the children on the consoles in regard to their attitudes, and their silly elitist mentality's. I play for fun, I dont want to deal with that. (that being said, I know that is not a problem that is exclusive to Arma, Im just making a point, that this is another problem with making Arma accessible to new players).

I think we all love Arma on paper, but when it comes down to actually playing it, thats a different story. I just think it needs to be more accessible. And while we all enjoy realism, the simple truth of it is, as you yourself stated, how long are people really going to stick around in a game where they can spend hours in game, without any action. While it may be realistic, the vast majority of people lose interest. I think thats why the first one has pretty much failed to keep even its fans interested.

I think the ghost servers are proof positive of that.

I would love to play some Arma, if any of you guys play, I would be thrilled to play with you.

I feel I missed the boat on it, as I have only owned it since last summer, I figured there would still be tons of people playiing it, but theres not. I feel like Arma has the potential to deliver a great experience, and I regret that for the most part, I have been unable to share it.

Arma2 does look awesome, and I am looking forward to its release as well. I noticed that they made a point in that one trailer to show the guy actually "stepping over" that little picket fence (lol) even though the fence itself was only like four feet long (lol), like I said I will no doubt be getting both. And I am looking forward to both.

I was just getting a bit excited for dragon rising as I think it is closer to a release date than Arma 2.

I embrace the realism in Arma, and I just wish I could utilize it. Like I stated earlier, I like Arma for head to head infantry and tank combat, I think thats where it really shines. I guess I just wish people were playing it.

One last thing in regards to the realism in Arma, even in the trailer, it shows some soldier run from being in combat on a road, to jumping into a helo and flying off. Sorry, infantry dont pilot helo's, I just wanted to point that out, as it seems most people get so pre-occupied with the helicopters, thats all they care about. You can make a game as realistic as possible, but it doesnt matter if the players dont play it with the proper mind set. And it is a supreme challenge in itself to get all those players co-ordinated to work together as a real army, especially when half of them just want to fly around screaming "look at me! look at me!"

By that same token, I think our beloved Black Shark is best played in small groups of 2-4, as opposed to 16 player missions, yet the majority of players are more into the large scale, fast, instant action type missions. this in a way, works against all the effort that was put in to create a realistic sim.

Ok hope were all still friends. LOL.

ArmA 2, obviously.

From what Codemasters shown us in the past months, I can say that they're clearly not making a contender for ArmA 2, but rather a semi-realistic game aimed to please BF2 folks(also Project-Reality players).

ArmA 2 on the other hand, is a direct sequel to OFP genre. Yes I find the first ArmA to be soulless, bug ridden for a long time, with clunky controls, capable but still inadequate AI . . . and the list goes on.

But BIS is aware of these problems. The problem with ArmA was, it was a forced "interim" game. More like a tech-demo. They needed money to fund themselves, and they were forced to release ArmA at a relatively early stage. They improved the game with updates as they continued to work on the engine and ArmA 2. I recall reading BIS lead Ivan Buchta stating that they had no "passion" for ArmA because basically they had no time and needed to release it ASAP. He said it's not the same for ArmA 2, they're taking their time and this time they actually want to do it.

So I have higher hopes for ArmA2. BIS is really going to improve the genre this time, while Codemasters will take a "safe step" and release a semi-realistic game which will mainly appeal to masses. ArmA 2 is also playing safe with it's campaign, but it'll still be the sandbox game that ArmA has been, totally scalable.

• Like 1

We play Arma 3 times a week, most days theres 30-50 players on. Well organized, proper comms and chain of command. Nobody leaves formation.

So in my books, its not dead.

Saying arma is "soulless" without playing it with a tactical squad using Ace + Vopsound 1.19 for example is like saying F1 car sucks for shopping, in my opinion.

Arma without mods is totally a different game and i agree it sucks. Ace arma with a good soundmod however changes pretty much everything.

And most public servers dont count, the ones with crosshairs and 3rd person view and crap missions that lack proper squad structures etc are pretty much for this battlefield/cod generation, and thank god they went back to their games, which is why those servers are empty :P

It has flaws, its not perfect.

HOWEVER, name a game that does what arma does, but better.

Thought so, there aint one. If there was, we would play that instead :)

Edited by Grodin

VBS2? :P

naa, theres no ACE for VBS :<

Propably even Arma2 will not have these features we are used to in ACE, until they covert ACE to it.

It has some, like dragging people around and animated tank barrel recoil, but other stuff it likely wont...

For example 100% animated weapons (including the bullets in magazines running lower as you shoot, moving bolts, cocking handles, etc etc), CQB sights ability for scoped weapons, real shrapnel from claymores, ability to tripwire and aim them, WORKING vests (Shooting someone in the vest with a 9mm wont be much use, hes just going to be knocked out unconcicuous at best, which is nicely scripted btw) Working mildot scope adjusting system, AT launcher backblasts, tank shellshock..

etc... etc... etc...i could go on forever... Nothing comes even close really, not even VBS :joystick:

Now lets see how that mainstream OFP: DR does :D

Edited by Grodin

It´s a bit early on to judge on OFP:DR. Just as i wait for Arma 2 hitting the stores and people rushing out to get it. I´m more interested in reading user reviews than some gamemag article, or fall for some nice cutscenes published.

The feature list of Arma 2 doesn't look that impressive, i´ll just wait and see how it compares against a modded Arma.

I will wait for the demo / first reviews.

Both have potential IMHO.

I personally liked OFP a lot and I also like ArmA very much, but no the way it is presented. It's very user-unfriendly, if you don't invest the time to dig through the menus. That has nothing to do with the game and it's unneccessary complicated in most parts. For example: do you really need 3 options to go prone?

On the gameplay side, you spend a lot of time moving from your HQ to the combat area if you have no Mobile HQ and if you do, you can be sure some idiot parks it in the middle of the hornets nest.

Of course you can put it like deadsmell:

"Yes, I understand how Arma is "supposed" to be played, but unfortunately, in my experience that is not the "reality" of "how" ArmA is actually played.", but honestly, if the game does not support teamplay and player-group cohesions, it's a gameflaw.

And from what I've seen in the videos and previews, ArmA2 still has these unnatural movements between Parkinson and MrRoboto, it still has a complicated interface and needs a multitude of inputs to do simple tasks. Even the ArmA-Clan-Guys I chatted with on the server today said, that the major difference between ArmA and ArmA2 are the graphics.

OPF may look like BF2, but it has the potential of offering more accessable controls and interfaces and may therefore attract more players.

The question is: What players - but my experiences with the general ArmA-Players are not that much different from BF2-players anyway...

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

New videos and screenshots released from the pre-release Version:

http://www.simcombat.org/2009/04/arma2-new-previews-screens-and-videos/#more-1570

I'm afraid, I feel my first impressions supported a bit. :cry:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Very interesting news about the campaign. You have to interact with civilians and interrogate them or make deals with them, make decisions if you want to put somebody to jail or get information/support from him. Accordingly there are 4 different ends of the campaign. Total length: If you rush through them: 10-12 hours, normally played 30h plus.

One robovoice: " TWO!! - IN-TERRO-GATE - THAT - CI-VILIAN - WO-MAN - AT - 12 - O - CLOCK "

Two robovoice: "NE-GATIVE"

One robovoice: " TWO!! - IN-TERRO-GATE - THAT - CI-VILIAN - WO-MAN - AT - 12 - O - CLOCK "

Two robovoice: " TWO!! AFFIRMATIVE".

two runs opposite direction, then turns towards 12:00, then runs, then stops, then runs again, then stops, then walks, then runs again.

lol, sorry I had to do it.

the one on the left, you mean the nanny mcphee one with the coat?, or the one in the middle with the skirt? lol.

What do you guys think, i mean just going based on that screenshot that diveplane posted above, is that an artistic decision to make them all look bland, and like they have been conditioned to be indifferent, and emotionless. ( a kind of artistic political statement aimed at communism, and life under an oppressive government ). Or is it a limitation within the games engine? Somebody certainly took their time making sure that the clevage was rendered properly, so I assume its a design decision, with political undertones. (obviously) im just entertaining the notion of a discussion. lol. BTW the one on the right looks like her boyfriend vladimir beat the shiz out of her.

I mean there is obviously some serious sadness, going on there in the faces. Arms straight down at their sides and what not. Of course for all I know i could be seeing the screenshot entirely out of context, it may very well actually be from a cut scene in the game, and they could be discussing something.

Any thoughts?

Cool screenshots and links too everyone. neat stuff.

I will say that just running and moving, looks to be much improved over the previous versions. Looking forward to head to head urban combat for sure.

another question, does anyone have any insight as to why they keep staging Arma in a Russian cold war era type scenario? I know they are using satellite data to accurately recreate the landscape and all that cool stuff, but im curious as to why they keep using Russia as the staging area?

Just Curious.

Edited by deadsmell