Operation flashpoint 2, or Arma 2?

deadsmell

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cockpit in the UH looks cool, see so much 3rd perspective in these video's.

I'm getting mixed feelings about the game with what i've seen so far. It still looks a little clunky to control and some of the sounds voices from the first game are still present which bothers me.

I was hoping for an entire new sound design to be honest...but that's just me.

I will still most likely pick this up when it drops in the next few weeks, but I'd like to see what the reviewers are saying about it?

I know the modding community will take care of whatever pitfalls BI doesn't address.

Interested to see more gameplay video from OFP DR, wonder how the two will compare.

Few things about OFP DR are already bugging me

1) It's being optimized for console play

2) Muzzle flashes visible in daylight

3) Vehicles and players have a shiney texture at night

4) Very little weapon's drift after running a full sprint, stopping, and scoping in while standing

I have a longer list, but all of that can be seen in the gameplay videos if you search enough ;)

ArmA2 has bugs on release. Big deal. Every game I have tried over the past three years has had reported bugs on release. Too many chipsets, too many architectures around those chipsets, too many GPU chipsets, too many manufactures around those chipsets, and too many variables across several OS versions.

All added up = impossible to beta test before launch for smooth running on all machines.

Too many chipsets, too many architectures around those chipsets, too many GPU chipsets, too many manufactures around those chipsets, and too many variables across several OS versions.

indeed

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

2) Muzzle flashes visible in daylight

3) Vehicles and players have a shiney texture at night

4) Very little weapon's drift after running a full sprint, stopping, and scoping in while standing

I have a longer list, but all of that can be seen in the gameplay videos if you search enough ;)

ArmA2 has bugs on release. Big deal. Every game I have tried over the past three years has had reported bugs on release. Too many chipsets, too many architectures around those chipsets, too many GPU chipsets, too many manufactures around those chipsets, and too many variables across several OS versions.

All added up = impossible to beta test before launch for smooth running on all machines.

IRL muzzle flashes are visible in daylight even with blanks.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

They're all nice, bright 4 pointed muzzle flashes visibile from any angle at any time in OFP2 ;)

The only time I ever saw the muzz flash from an AK during the daytime hours, is if they were in a shadowed area like a narrow alley or inside a house. Lighting, what a wonderful thing :D

It was optimized for PC, but being made available for consoles. I don't think that's a problem...PS3 and 360 players should have more options available to them than just COD Halo/killzone shooters.

I'd actually rather play a war simulator on a console. I think a controller feels more dynamic (trigger, movement, scope sight etc)...although tracker IR will be missed. I'll be able to creep VERY slowly or strafe very slowly using the finger sticks of either 360 or PS3 controller.

Plus my sound system's a lot better on my TV ;).

Anyway not trying to flame a war here because I'm just as sick of console vs pc as the next guy (although I can find fun on BOTH platforms and don't see why users of each need to bash the other).

I think it's safe to say for almost ANY game experience...it is just that..a GAME experience. The virtual world is very finite and limited to the programming/scripts it's running. It'll be another 15 years before the real world can be duplicated fully in a "simulation" and it won't matter because once that transition happens skynet will be running things and we'll all be serving under john connor ;) :smilewink:

Eventually we're going to be complaining "well in ARMA 15 the fields in europe after it rains smells more dewy than what the game feature has you to believe..smells more like Russia in the fall to me".

Remember that not everyone playing these games will have served in the armed forces, so pointing out the muzzle flash for example might not register with 95% of the community. Although it is a good point, it's also very difficult to judge anything based on these short alpha phase video's they're releasing in the first place. The latest trailer is still a few months old apparently in terms of development. The FREE demo will eventually be released before the game so that will be the true test as to how the gameplay/realism factor have been balanced out. OFP DR was never in the 100% REALISTIC category in the first place...so it'll be interesting to see where they've made compromises.

Anyone own ARMA II in germany??? I'm curious to know their thoughts so far.

Play...enjoy...have fun and be entertained.

Edited by element1108

From what I have been seeing of ingame footage of OFP, I think it's going to cater to those who want something larger than and less arcade than COD4 and BF2, but not quite an all-out sim like ArmA.

Personally, I plan on getting both and hoping I'll enjoy them equally :)

I have a friend who has ArmAII and, so far, he's really liking the improvements over ArmA.

From what I have been seeing of ingame footage of OFP, I think it's going to cater to those who want something larger than and less arcade than COD4 and BF2, but not quite an all-out sim like ArmA.

Personally, I plan on getting both and hoping I'll enjoy them equally :)

I have a friend who has ArmAII and, so far, he's really liking the improvements over ArmA.

E3 is around the corner (literally) hopefully we'll get some more footage and a better sense of OFP. ARMA II in North American in a few weeks and Rise of Flight just at the end of this week...:)

I will be picking both OFP and ARMA II up most likely as well :)

Glad to hear your friend is liking it so far Total!:pilotfly:

They're all nice, bright 4 pointed muzzle flashes visibile from any angle at any time in OFP2 ;)

The only time I ever saw the muzz flash from an AK during the daytime hours, is if they were in a shadowed area like a narrow alley or inside a house. Lighting, what a wonderful thing :D

I wouldn't be surprised if someone fixed that with a mod BTW seen plenty of muzzle flashes and yeah its a lighting thing. In the dark it can be quite visible from your own weapon as well although even in the dark it isn't that bad. Currently my beef with ACE 1.09 is that they based the players fitness off some fat obesse geek who can't run 50m without getting a heart attack. Seriously Ace cool mod but what the hell.

The_simpsons_homer_simpson_vs_famil.jpg

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Haven't played ACE 1.09. Still have 1.07 on my server simply cuz I've been too lazy to update :huh:

I know in 1.07, I could get a good sprint distance loaded up with an M-21 SMD, an AT-4 launcher w/ 1 round, 1 M67 frag, a satchel, and some mags.

Start carrying the stinger, javeling, dragon, M107, M109, or a ruck sack and that would become an extremely heavy load evenin real life. Not much running with those items.

those shots look great, I really like what they have achieved with the landscape, it really looks good.

Diveplane, can you comment on things like movement, and control interface?

Is there noticeable difference in things like player movement, and what do you think about it?

Dont let the smell get to ya...............