Operation flashpoint 2, or Arma 2?

deadsmell

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope ArmA2 won't need as long to be playable as Arma1 did. :noexpression:

@ deadsmell:

Got to admit I had to laugh about the robotvoices. I know they have to cut the sentences into sniplets to ensure maximum flexibility, but it sounds like sh*t. They should have recorded all parts like orders or all parts like statements.

ONE .. move to ... OFFICER ... grid ... 9 ... 8 ... 4 ... 1

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Yes, voice sampling in OFP and all it's incarnations sounds like this reads

erpresserbrief.gif

What do you guys think, i mean just going based on that screenshot that diveplane posted above, is that an artistic decision to make them all look bland, and like they have been conditioned to be indifferent, and emotionless. ( a kind of artistic political statement aimed at communism, and life under an oppressive government ). Or is it a limitation within the games engine?

My take is war often does this peoples faces. :noexpression: Though skin colour in general looks somewhat weird.

http://www.gamestar.de/preview/actio...85/arma_2.html

German ArmA2 preview :joystick:

I don't get why people find ArmA "complicated" - it's very much simplified. Aircraft are much easier to fly than in flight sims.

Thats like saying DCS Black Shark is too complicated and difficult, why should i have to press some buttons or lock some targets to actually do something - except arma is much more dumbed down than DCS, its nowhere near as complicated.

Some people find just shooting in arma too complicated. DOH, thats the whole point in shooting, you actually need to know how to shoot, not just have your cross on the enemy, you have to count in distance and your sights adjustments, and the type of ammunition you use, here it actually makes a difference if you use subsonic ammo, it only travels half as fast, and you actually need to cover your firesectors because you cant instantly do a 180 spin and bang someone in the head, humans just cant do that.

Just because some games don't promote unrealistic gameplay with reticules and 3rd person views on, does not mean its bad. Its just different type of game.

Compare ArmA to DCS - it is supposed to be played without unrealistic aids, in a realistic, strategic tactical kind of way.

Some people have been too much into to mainstream titles like CoD etc with very straightforward gameplay where you press 1 button and you are in middle of war banging headshots with your machine gun while you bunnyhop thru the scripted level with your friends that give you bonuses when they are close (only reason for "teamplay"), and maps where you can only go in 1 direction, thats not very realistic.

ArmA is not perfect, flight model is horrible, so is CQB, there are flaws, but thats all we got and we try to make most out of it.

And whats the fuzz with different difficult keys? You only need 1 button to go prone. 1 Button to crouch. 1 Button to stand, and you can change from standing to prone with a single button. Nothing difficult here, lets see how many keys black shark needs?

Console ports that dont even support mouse have the worst interfaces.

Game doesnt have to FORCE you into teamplay like it does in those arcade titles where you need to have X amount of people standing at a flag or something. You have all the tools needed for good teamplay, if players just want to play as a team. Here teamplay means using formations and tactics, covering tanks flanks and rear in towns etc. Not standing somewhere just bacause the game forces you to.

What comes to those robot voices, ACE can disable all those for you if you choose to, good feature as the only comm voices needed are from TS or similiar proggy.

You should try something more serious, shack tactical or similiar, more serious games in their server and they dont promote rambos, they have what 60 members playing, or find some team yourself, community is kinda divided to publics and privates - later being the better part, you kinda need private games with admins to keep all those rambos out.

Edited by Grodin
Aight sorry, late night forum posts tend to get out of line a bit sometimes.
  • Like 1

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

the one on the left, you mean the nanny mcphee one with the coat?, or the one in the middle with the skirt? lol.

What do you guys think, i mean just going based on that screenshot that diveplane posted above, is that an artistic decision to make them all look bland, and like they have been conditioned to be indifferent, and emotionless. ( a kind of artistic political statement aimed at communism, and life under an oppressive government ). Or is it a limitation within the games engine? Somebody certainly took their time making sure that the clevage was rendered properly, so I assume its a design decision, with political undertones. (obviously) im just entertaining the notion of a discussion. lol. BTW the one on the right looks like her boyfriend vladimir beat the shiz out of her.

I mean there is obviously some serious sadness, going on there in the faces. Arms straight down at their sides and what not. Of course for all I know i could be seeing the screenshot entirely out of context, it may very well actually be from a cut scene in the game, and they could be discussing something.

Any thoughts?

Cool screenshots and links too everyone. neat stuff.

I will say that just running and moving, looks to be much improved over the previous versions. Looking forward to head to head urban combat for sure.

another question, does anyone have any insight as to why they keep staging Arma in a Russian cold war era type scenario? I know they are using satellite data to accurately recreate the landscape and all that cool stuff, but im curious as to why they keep using Russia as the staging area?

Just Curious.

It may look politically negative towards communism but in fact neither Arma or OFP is. OFPs addons allow for the player to be on either side and Arma plus its addons focus on a fictional island which has a rogue Russian General supporting one side and US the other. The main reason why is because the US has good weapons and Russia has good weapons so of course you want an even fight with the best vs the best. As for the screenshot of the women you would have to wait and play the game to see where that cut scene fits in to the overall scenario as in past versions everything is done for a reason.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

OFP2 worries me in the fact that the gameplay is being optimized to be rather seamless between platforms. Looking at the few scant ingame videos being released, the first thing I noticed is the serious lack of weapon's sway after a full sprint and then scoping in with an Acog 4X in the standing position.

That and I'm not really a big fan of radial menues.

ArmA seems to be shaping up into what we had hoped ArmA could have been at release.

For those wanting another true OFP - ain't gonna happen. No sequel will EVER be as good as the original. BF42 > BF:V/BF2, Unreal > UT99, Tribes > Tribes2, etc etc

In 2001, there nothing like OFP and it was infatuatingly addictive in the freedom it gave. Now, the standards are unrealistically higher. With many people thinking that Hollywood antics are real and others wanting each leaf to be it's own polygon, there will be plenty of complaining about both games.

Me?

I'm hoping each one provides it's own sort of enjoyment as that will give me two games to play versus just one.

• Like 1

The ACE guys are on the right track, but they are over doing some things here and there. All in all though, they have done a great job. My server runs only ACE and has since the ACE public release :)

Unfortunately, arcade games like COD4 have become the benchmark for fluid player movements. Anyone who has worn 60 pounds of combat gear can attest that fluidity in every motion is not something that's really possible in combat loadout.

OFP2 appears to be catering to that crowd while ArmA2 is keeping with it's standards that combat movement is not smooth and fluid like that of a gymnast wearing only spandex :P

just posting this cos it could happen to any game -

http://www.rkslstudios.info/

and at

http://www.pukf.net/forum/index.php?...5&topic=2290.0

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I'm looking forward to both titles, both have some elements I'm attracted to! Most likely get OFP Dragon Rising for XBOX (It's been collecting dust the past 6 months thanks to ZERO interesting titles) and ARMA for the computer (Tracker IR GO!)

IGN released a new OFP 2 video (still a teaser, but at least it's all gameplay) and mentioned their development. Looks like they won't be ready until the fall (according to article) . That'll give me some time to learn the ropes of ARMA II :)

ARMA2 world is just 15km by 15km. How are you supposed to operate combat helicopters armed with HELLFIRE missiles of range up to 8km, or even F-35 fighterjet?

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

It's not primarily a helo or fighter jet sim...the aircraft are in support of troops and troop transport. Most players will be spending their combat time on the ground and 225km area is HUUUGE when you're in the dirt.

Plus that's a LOT of terrain for modelers to model especially if it's geographically accurate. I'm sure the game developers have "limited" it to 15x15km's for many reasons. If you primarily want to shoot missiles from a helo or jet...better to stick with BS or LOMAC/Falcon :)

There's no way in hell a game like ARMA II or Flashpoint will satisfy true rotor or jetheads ... but having helo's and jets to support my a$$ on the ground (so long as the pilot doesn't mind not shooting from max range) is an outstanding feature and adds to the overall combat experience. Those tanks are a hard nut to crack for a fleshy dude on the ground.

We're lucky now we're getting hard core sims from developers like DCS as well as military shooters (that aren't COD) like ARMA II and OFP2.

Edited by element1108

ARMA2 world is just 15km by 15km. How are you supposed to operate combat helicopters armed with HELLFIRE missiles of range up to 8km, or even F-35 fighterjet?

Yeah I wish it was the same map area as Falcons maps.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

As it was in Arma 1 I think the terrain is varried enough that a sense of helicopter tactics can be attained. Although you are limited in the overall chopper opperations, its still a ground combat sim and the helicopters/aircraft are just bonus. I just hope the flight model is a little bit easier. In arma 1 it was a pain to try and get used to flying the birds in that game even with a joystick.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Yeah I wish it was the same map area as Falcons maps.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to compare flight sim maps to ground combat maps. As grimes said it's primarily a ground environment with aircraft as bonus.

In multiplayer with maps thousands of squared kms finding the enemy would be very difficult. And not everyone is going to have a bird to facilitate that trek.

As in real war movement will be slow and cautious so 99% of the terrain will be unused most of the time.

Not really Arma is not just an FPS it blurs the FPS with tank and aircraft and thats the reason why it is such a good sim. It actually has the potential of being a flight sim and full tank sim if they expanded the complexity maybe not Falcon level but perhaps Lockon level avionics would suit it quite well. Also Arma has the potential to not only have a dynamic war with AI it also potentially can have a dynamic war between human players using an interface similar to command and conquer. Ideally they should build detailed terrain based on actual places and expand it. Another area it has potential is also naval combat so you can potentially have an entire war run on the sim. You can no longer view Arma as just a FPS because of those factors and the bigger the terrain map the better.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]