Stabilizing Yaw/Sideslip with precision

Any pro tips for doing the above? I have trouble when lining up for rockets, bombs, or gunsight 30mm shots with either heading changes (flight director mode) or constant sideslipping.

I know I'm not the only one having trouble making fine corrections like this. Wasn't sure if anyone had a trimming procedure or some such thing to help stabilize the bird for the terminal run.

One of the ED guys said in another thread that you should hold the trimmer down while lining up for boresight shots, as holding it down disables some of the autopilot damper functions. It's probably those functions that you're fighting currently.

Or so I would guess. I'm certainly not a pro, so call that an "enthusiast tip". :music_whistling:

I think that because the bottom rotor is in a climb state due to being in the downwash from the top rotor and being optimised for zero rudder input in hover when in forward flight you're going to get some slip without rudder input.

Might be worth making your rudder input a touch less non linear too so small adjustments are easier near the centerline.

Without having a particular tip, I found that practicing a LOT in manuvering and flying just to understand how to aircraft react and fly will help aim rockets.

I did several trainning maps with reacting units and only rockets on the Shark. Replaying these scenarios really improved my aim. From being totally un-able to put rockets on a veh. to being able to hit them all.

The trick I found, is understanding how to turn and how to trim. If you don't turn corecly, you will mess your aproach and loose time compensating for the "bouncing".

Don't forget that rockets are not ment to be precises. They are like a big shotgun, to spray HE and chrapnel in an erea.

Well I think I found my problem. I didn't realize that when I trim, not only am I locking in my control postion at neutral, I'm also telling the autopilot to hold that bank, pitch, and heading (not yaw rate, but heading). This means, when I begin a turn, I hit trim when i set my turn rate (i never trim in rudder, bank only). No problem.

However, when i go to arrest the turn when I arrive at the desired heading, i have to move the stick the other way to center the helo on the new heading. When I trim in the zero bank, I actually trimmed in an over-center stick position as well. Now, the autopilot tries to hold bank and heading, while keeping the stick banking the chopper, creating a slugfest between all the control inputs. Moving the stick to center using ctrl-Enter does nothing to help the problem, as that position now has bank in it.

If I hold the trimmer down saying "To heck with the autopilot" I now have to fight the heck out of the controls to get them to center. ctrl-T seems to be the only reliable way to end this nonsense, but now i have to stabilize the bird from pitching up.

There's got to be an easier way. When turning, do you set the trim for the turn, stabilize on the heading, then hit trim again? At what points in the turn do you trim? I must be doing it out of whack or something.

The good news is, with auto-turn to target, I can shoot decently straight, so i've been making liberal use of that.

....ctrl-T seems to be the only reliable way to end this nonsense, but now i have to stabilize the bird from pitching up....

A Shifty Habit with it's Roots embedded deeply within the realms of the unrealistic........;)

When I first started out, not knowing that the function/switch does not even exist in RL, I had major trim problems as you describe, a prime example being the tendancy of the Bird to attempt to disgorge the nest of Wasps it ingested immediately prior to me hitting the 'reset trim' button.

Once I vaporized the Key-Command I have seldom revisited my previous dire attempts at Aerial Gymnastics. I can only speculate with the limited amount of knowledge at my disposal that the 'reset trim' command plays havoc with the dampeners and attendant settings.......then again.........

Whatever it does, one thing I am certain of is that since the techies took a Hammer to that particular switch, my Kamov seems to be much happier. Worth a try me thinks :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

There's got to be an easier way. When turning, do you set the trim for the turn, stabilize on the heading, then hit trim again? At what points in the turn do you trim? I must be doing it out of whack or something.

Yes, trim before the turn, then after the turn again. That way the AP will have the new heading. Correct your slip then trim again. Remember when trimming using a non-forcefeedback stick, you must return all inputs incl. rudder to neutral very quickly after hitting the trim button.

Alternatively, as mentioned above, hit trim and hold it, make the turn, then release it at the end of the turn.

I use small correction inputs with consecutive trimming on the dive. This is all prior shooting. When I shoot I even hold my breath :D

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

Why are people trimming in a turn?

Shouldn't we just trim if the speed or altitude changes significantly, ie, going from 300 to 40 and staying at 40? I read somewhere that we should trim a lot, but trim twice during a turn sounds unnecessary.