Meet and Greet

Hey everyone

I'm in this community for a couple of years and playing DCS since it's old Lock On 2 times. I'm 38 years old (the 4 is coming closer from day to day) and I'm living near the beautiful Military airport of Dübendorf. Unfortunately there are now Hornets stationed here anymore but who knows.

I'm also a passionate Magic the Gathering Commander player and I'm creating skins for most of the modules.

Cheers from Dietlikon, Switzerland

Dominic

• Like 2

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

2 hours ago, CHSubZero said:

Hey everyone

I'm in this community for a couple of years and playing DCS since it's old Lock On 2 times. I'm 38 years old (the 4 is coming closer from day to day) and I'm living near the beautiful Military airport of Dübendorf. Unfortunately there are now Hornets stationed here anymore but who knows.

I'm also a passionate Magic the Gathering Commander player and I'm creating skins for most of the modules.

Cheers from Dietlikon, Switzerland

Dominic

Welcome @CHSubZero

You're from Switzerland?! I would have never guessed! 😋

I remember visiting Dübendorf in (iirc) 1999, to watch the Mirage III's there. Definitely a beautiful location for aviation enthusiasts! Although tbh, Meiringen was my favorite 😉 (we visited all Swiss airbases that holiday 🙂)

Are you by any chance this Dominic?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEfZYRQr_atubzOm0j0A4g

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

FNG here!  Just installed DCS and am working my way through some trainings and trying a campaign with the SU-25.  I've primarily been running iRacing and motorsports simulators, but this is a whole new ballgame and i'm looking forward to the challenge.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 1:35 PM, sirrah said:

Welcome @CHSubZero

You're from Switzerland?! I would have never guessed! 😋

I remember visiting Dübendorf in (iirc) 1999, to watch the Mirage III's there. Definitely a beautiful location for aviation enthusiasts! Although tbh, Meiringen was my favorite 😉 (we visited all Swiss airbases that holiday 🙂)

Are you by any chance this Dominic?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEfZYRQr_atubzOm0j0A4g

Unfortunately no, I'm not this Dominik. But I see a couple of my skins in his videos 

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

Hi all

I've actually been messing about crashing planes in DCS for a couple of months now and still loving it and just getting reeled in deeper and deeper.

I started with the A10a and progressed to the F18, currently debating the AV-8b because she looks so darn pretty and fun.

Fly with some of you soon, hopefully 🙂

• Like 3

Hi guys,

I played DCS for few years now but started being active in the forums only lately. Started long time ago with the A-10C first version then proceeded to the SU25T, F-5, L-39 and finally with the F-18C that I'm enjoying a lot right now. Slowly learning a lot of new stuff, terminology and flying profiles. Always been a avid user of "civs" simulators since FS2000 but ended up with DCS pretty much all the time. Playing Raven One at the moment and loving it.

I'm italian (really looking forward to the MB339...) and working in aviation but nowhere near jet fighters...I really enjoy flying in any form and shape. I'm also into cars and motorsport (F1) a lot.

See you soon around the virtual skies!!

• Like 1

fumap

MY SYTEM: Intel i9-12900K / Asus Maximus Z690 Apex / 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 5600MHz DDR5 / Asus TUF RTX3080Ti OC / DCS on Intel 900p 480GB / Watercooling loop based on EKWB - Triple 360 Rad

Ben here.

Been playing DCS about a year+.

What an outrageously diverse (many planes) and advancing (frequent updates) product! To all the developers, I say Thank you!

Got module mania. Ordered about 1-2 every sale. Now after much MP time, hoping to refine my skills with campaigns. I am woefully amateur. I know 1-2 planes in a low-moderate way, I know about 15 enough to crash regularly without much help.

Also, what a great community! Questions always answered sincerely and helpfully.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Littlefloor here,

I i was a big fan of airplane simulation back when i had an Atari 1040STFM and i spent a lot of time flying in Tornado and F-16 Combat Pilot games, later on PC Jane's USAF.
Not so long ago I tried a DCS A-10 at my friend's and I liked it, but I didn't have a joystick, so I didn't decide to get my own. Now I've downloaded from Steam the DCS and I'm trying unsuccessfully to "fly" only with the keyboard until in the meantime I select and get some HOTAS system. Compared to previous experiences DCS seems very more realistic and complex but I hope to master these skills and enjoy as the rest of this fine community.

I am a big fan of MiG-21, F-4 and Tornado ... I hope that the last two models will one day be part of DCS

Edited by Littlefloor
  • Like 1

Asus m/b * i7 3770 * 16GB RAM * nVidia Dual GTX 1660Ti 6GB DDR6* 2x 27" LG * T.16000M HOTAS * Logitech MX
Maybe it's better to ask for forgiveness sometimes than for permission ...

I am excited.  Last week I picked up the FA-18, Warthog and a bunch of campaigns.  I am just learning.  After some time, I was able to pull several nice "touch and goes" in Syria.  For someone who is just entering old-fart-dom, that was a big deal. 

I recently opted to get out of horse riding (Eventing - Jumping) to avoid becoming a lawn dart. That allowed me to get an Oculus 2, and upgrade my computer (Video card + Mother Board + RAM + CPU) to enhance VR performance and quality. That effort alone was exciting, although my wife and my wallet were not excited about the investment.

At this point I am learning F/A 18 navigation and basic piloting, hence my elation with touch and goes.  The learning curve is a bit steeper than my experience with other flying games (F22 Raptor - Ace Combat - SW Squadrons and VTOL VR) and that is good, because I know that I will not get board with DCS anytime soon.   My new Thrustmaster warthog Joystick and Throttle did have me cursing a bit. There are way too many configurations out there for me.  I finally opted to use the Chuck version as a base line. 

My strategy for the  F/A 18 is to become moderately proficient with all aspects of the aircraft, warfare and the DCS game a bit at a time.  Eventually, I will delve into multi-player where I will likely be shredded by some young hotdog pilot in a dog fight...so be it, what great fun.  And then, I would like to join a squadron where I will be the new-guy-grunt sent to do all the work no one else wants to do.   Good Dog Woof.

Since I have experience Adobe editing I may produce some flying content for family and friends.  I will never be a YouTube DCS\Sim content god like some of these guys:  Grim Reapers, Matt Wagner, RedKite and SpudKnocker (he's the hot shot that will fireball me in a dogfight one day).   Thanks all you guys for your video work, it has been a tremendous help for us visual learners.

My future is bright. My inner child is ecstatic.

CHEERSWoof Chill Dog GIF

Me waiting for rescue after getting shot down by some hot dog DCS pilot god.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2022 at 9:58 PM, Littlefloor said:

I am a big fan of MiG-21, F-4 and Tornado ... I hope that the last two models will one day be part of DCS

Well, at least the F-4E is coming in a year or so 🙂

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hi everyone,

SeeFue here (rhymes with 'see foo' or 'see few').  I randomly started watching some Growling Sidewinder and Grim Reaper YouTube videos just before the holidays.  This turned out to be huge mistake because, before I knew it I was over my head with the F/A-18C, but because there was a holiday sale, it just made perfect sense to 'save' money by picking up all the terrain modules, CA, Super Carrier, A-10, F-14, F16, FC3, P-47 and P-51 before the sale ran out.  On the bright side, I can now cold start all of them.  My plan is to concentrate on the F/A-18 until I am proficient in the basics of AA, AG, navigation and comms, then start that process in the others as well.  The only one I am really intimidated by is the F-14.  I dipped my tow into PvP the other day and 'NOPED' right out of the server.  I have to work my way up to that.

That being said, I am interested in the 'sim' aspects of DCS.  I absolutely love starting from a cold-start and going from there.  However, I still do not have a Track-IR or VR and only have a Logitech Extreme 3D - no HOTAS.  Situational awareness using the hat switch to look is really hard.

I look forward to leveling up my skills and joining the multi-player server and eventually an online community.

• Like 1

After spending a lot of hours on the ground in Sim Racing, I've decided to try taking to the skies with DCS in the last few weeks, though much less successfully! Quite a transition to make from GT3 racing to flying, much steeper learning curve.

Not done anything flight related since F-15 Strike Eagle II and F-16 Combat Pilot on the Amiga many moons ago (actually still have both games and 3 Amigas). The graphics ramped all the way up in 4K are truly stunning! Currently starting to focus on the F/A-18 and Spitfire (took a while to realise that I had to trim things quite drastically for the Spitfire!). No Track-IR as yet, but plunged in for a Thrustmaster T.16000M HOTAS which seems fine for a first go.

List of current modules and maps are:
FC3, F/A-18, Spitfire, Supercarrier, Persian Gulf, Channel and WWII Asset Pack.

Million miles off of any multiplayer (seems the older brain isn't as good as remembering things as the younger brain), but hoping to get there one day.

Edited by Ian.H

DCS: FC3, F/A-18, Spitfire, Supercarrier, Persian Gulf, Channel and WWII Asset Pack

Peripherals: Thrustmaster T.16000M HOTAS

System: Intel i9 10900K @ 5.0Ghz, nVidia RTX 2080ti, 128GB RAM, Lian-Li O11 XL, BenQ 32" 4K screen, Acer Predator 34" Ultrawide screen

Warning, long post.

I didn't remember at the time, but I joined this forum back in 2008. Wow, how the time flies. Black shark was new. But it's been so long since I've fired up DCS, that indeed I am a noob again. I had FC2 back in 2005, and remember some of the very basics, but nothing that really mattered, it turns out. Still remember how to get killed pretty good, though.

So, since this is a pretty new experience, again, I figured I should reintroduce me.

Since those days, I put it away, had kids, became an A&P tech for a jet service center, and forgot about the passion I had for this sim platform.

I've got way in over my head back into this sim just a few weeks ago. I've played with others, but after reaching cruising altitude, until landing, there's nothing to do but wait. So, I got pretty bored with the other and newest version from a very popular company.

Back into DCS all the way. I forgot how much I loved LOMAC. That's when I bought a Saitek x-45 that is definitely showing its age, but still works decent, and I'm using it until some new equipment arrives. Trying to A/A refuel with it though, impossible. So, I went full send, and got the whole Winwing package with the extra panels to use with all the modules I also went full send on. FULL SEND. Because Merica.

Trying to learn the F/A-18C, because I always thought it should have been there. Complicated bird, but that's the one I want for everything it does.

This platform is so good. Man, a guy could really do the credit card a number with it. So good, though.

So, before you know it, I'll have all this super complicated gear to get lost in, and I'll still be the first and perhaps only noob KIA on any mission I'll join. If anyone ever gets a friendly radar lock, it's probably me. I'm trying to figure this thing out still, take it easy. For now, I'll keep to the single player tasks so I know WTH to do with this thing.

From an oldcomer,

Mike

• Like 1

Greetings ppl.

Name is Wes, I am a former Air Force CCT. I am current in VFR.   I'm looking for a thread that will act as an FAQ. I need app requirements, best controllers today (I've always used TM. Perhaps there is better now). I'm seeing MFDs that can be purchased (I don't get that. why should mfds be purchased?) Am I going to need to "build a cockpit" for this app? Just want to know what I'm going to deal with in the future. Sounds like this may the most expensive gaming endeavor ever. Peace

On 2/13/2022 at 4:08 AM, augustorm said:

Name is Wes, I am a former Air Force CCT. I am current in VFR.   I'm looking for a thread that will act as an FAQ. I need app requirements, best controllers today (I've always used TM. Perhaps there is better now). I'm seeing MFDs that can be purchased (I don't get that. why should mfds be purchased?) Am I going to need to "build a cockpit" for this app? Just want to know what I'm going to deal with in the future. Sounds like this may the most expensive gaming endeavor ever. Peace

FAQ: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD) + extra space for paid content ; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 350 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

MFDs are used for both immersion, looks and easier (real) control of the ones you see simulated in the DCS modules. It's up to the user if one wants to invest time, money and skills into buying or building anyhting more than a basic controls beyond keyboard and mouse. I'd say the most important is some kind of joystick, then throttle (these two make it a HOTAS system), then headtracking (or VR). This is where most people stop. If you got that far you might be interested in better HOTAS (maybe go FFB way) already and add some rudder pedals. In case of helicopters you will want cyclic/collective combo instead of HOTAS. From there some install additional control panels, levers, MFDs, button boxes. Add a jet-seat or motion-seat for even more immersion. If you have enough dedication you can make full pit of the aircraft you like the most. Then you decide if it's the VR pit or you need additional monitors/projectors around or even multi-projector dome 🙂

Edited by draconus
  • Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to inotrduce myself. I am a US Army Multiple Launch Rocket System Veteran who always dreamed of flying the A10, however my eyes wouldnt allow it and could not for the life of me get accepted to WO to fly the Apache so i shot rockets. This will be the closest I get to the real thing so here I am. I take it serious and have been working hard at learning the A10 and waiting for the Apache. Would love to join a squadron and fly with a group of sim pilots. 

With all that said I Live in Georgia so I am on eastcoast time. They called me Catfish before the TV show came out, because i was so dam country along with some other qualities at the nightclubs of Ft. Sill, OK. Wont touch on those. Appreciate all the help I have gotten on youtube so far. 

• Like 2

Hello,

just wanted to introduce myself after lurking around in the forums for quite some time.

Name is Klaus and I‘m a 50 years old guy from munich, germany.

I first got in contact with flightsimming back in the 90‘s. These days I loved sims like falcon3.0, Tornado or F19 stealth fighter, just to name a few of them. I‘m interested in aviation since my childhood in general.

after some years of absence because of live purposes like job etc., I returned to flightsimming in 2005 and this was the time I started my passion for helicopters and learned what amazing machines these are. Since then I fly helicopters in civil sims like xplane, since a few years exclusivly in VR.
As I‘m also interrested in combat aviation I‘m with DCS and I love the beautiful helicopters for the sim. I own all DCS helo modules, including prepurchased the AH64D Apache. I can‘t wait flying the Apache with my VR headset on. Hopefully we will also see the Kiowa released.

• Like 2

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

Thanks for the info. I am not building a cockpit if I want to remain married. Guess I'm gonna pull the trigger on the TM A10 PC pack (Base, A10 stick, and Throttle). Look for a good rudder/pedal assembly later. The set that I'm looking at are no available atm. Plus I need to build a tower.

• 2 weeks later...
04.03.2022 в 04:18, corbu1 сказал:

Hello,

just wanted to introduce myself after lurking around in the forums for quite some time.

Name is Klaus and I‘m a 50 years old guy from munich, germany.

I first got in contact with flightsimming back in the 90‘s. These days I loved sims like falcon3.0, Tornado or F19 stealth fighter, just to name a few of them. I‘m interested in aviation since my childhood in general.

after some years of absence because of live purposes like job etc., I returned to flightsimming in 2005 and this was the time I started my passion for helicopters and learned what amazing machines these are. Since then I fly helicopters in civil sims like xplane, since a few years exclusivly in VR.
As I‘m also interrested in combat aviation I‘m with DCS and I love the beautiful helicopters for the sim. I own all DCS helo modules, including prepurchased the AH64D Apache. I can‘t wait flying the Apache with my VR headset on. Hopefully we will also see the Kiowa released.

hello and welcome ;)

Hi folks,

Long time user of DCS but only found this forum recently. Love the content. Played a lot of flight sims over the years, starting in the 80s with most of the Microprose titles:- F-15 Strike Eagle, Gunship. F117A etc. Then moved onto Jane's sims like Longbow 1&2. I'm a nut for the Apache, have been since my dad brought home a poster of one, when I was 11, which adorned the wall in my bedroom. No surprises that I'm here for for the new Apache drop. I can imagine you guys must be as excited as I am. Look forward to getting to know you guys and girls. 

• Like 1