Meet and Greet

Hello! 
I go by Akazie, I'm a general flight sim and aircraft enthusiast and generally find DCS to be a great deal of fun, just wanted to say hello to everyone and say I'm glad to be apart of the community! 

• Like 1

Hi to all!

Milker here (Helder), enjoying flight sim since Janes 15, F16 from Novalogic... and Falcon 4.0.

I´ve been away from this hobby for a long time and just getting muscle memory flashbacks 😆.

Greetings from Portugal.

Good hunting,

Milker

• Like 2

Hi, I'm new to DCS forums, although I've had the game and modules since start of pandemic. I was so excited to start playing with DCS but then I was intimidated by how complex and how new I am to this... lol ....I play intermittently despite my love for military aircraft. I tried the free Mustang training but I find the training flawed and no way to rewind a specific paragraph in addition to the sound makes it hard to hear the lesson thankfully I figured out how to lower certain sounds.
I spend most times on ARMA 3 enjoying their aircraft selection and walked away from War Thunder. I plan on getting enough practice to join a DCS server and play with other peers. My current setup is TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster 1600, TWCS Throttle, and Thrustmaster Rudder.

The modules I currently have are SU-27, F-15C, A-10C and A-10C II plus the Syria Map. I also have the F-16C on beta. I didn't know any better and instead of buying FC3, I bought the SU-27, and F-15 separately. 😕 Anyways, I started off training on the SU-27, then moved on to F-16 while also making one or two scenarios in editor for my training. I haven't even started flying the other modules yet. I have read there are Sim modules and Arcade style modules, which are recognizable by their dollar cost and the way to play on servers is the arcade style but I'm not sure. I really think I need to push myself to actually join servers and learn trial by fire style. 
I know of mods available on DCS from videos I see on Youtube but have no clue what mods I need to have, other than SRS. Any help or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by otang76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, otang76 said:

I have read there are Sim modules and Arcade style modules, which are recognizable by their dollar cost and the way to play on servers is the arcade style but I'm not sure.

Where have you read that? People tend to exagerrate and misuse the arcade term. It's only true that Flaming Cliffs 3 pack aircraft (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/dcs_flaming_cliffs_3/ plus Su-25T) are not full fidelity study level modules. That means their cockpits are not clickable and most switches may not visibly change positions and most systems simulation is simplified and some are lacking. They have however same grade professional flight model.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/general/

Unfortunately, these are also great aircraft that were not made full fidelity modules due to different reasons, so it's not like we have a choice here.

Most MP server use http://dcssimpleradio.com/

DCS is progressively working on its own voice system though which is more and more useful, not the SRS level yet, mind you.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/medialibrary/30a/k3o2gik7dkxf2qpk2fram6igpp8egac0/DCS_Voice_Chat_Quick_Start.pdf

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 3/22/2022 at 5:27 AM, otang76 said:

no way to rewind a specific paragraph in addition to the sound makes it hard to hear the lesson

Hi,

if this happens again, you may tap Esc, then click "Messages History" and you should get the list of all messages/instructions/etc. spoken so far in the mission. I'm not sure whether you have to have subtitles turned on in DCS options for it to work or it doesn't matter, see for yourself.

Edited by scoobie
  • Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Hi all,

I'm Mark, hailing from Western Ohio, USA. Been lurking on this forum for quite sometime now, so impressed with the level of knowledge and experience the good folks on this forum have,  I've learned allot so far.  I'm new to DCS, played Falcon 3.0 & 4.0 for years then got out of it.  DCS seems to be on an entirely different level and I'm looking forward to diving in. I plan to start with the F-16C as it's a plane I already have some knowledge of and simply love it.  So far, I've spent copious amounts of time pouring through Chuck's guide, through countless YouTube tutorials and reading on this forum. I specking out a Computer now and plan to pull the trigger in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to getting to know many of you in the weeks to come.

Cheers!

Edited by Phadreus
  • Like 2

@Phadreus Welcome,

My name is Mike and welcome.  I wanted to share my experiences with buying jets.  I recommend you purchase the F/A-18 before the F-16.  The F/A-18 allows you to do either carrier missions or land based runway missions.  The F/A-18 is more forgiving as well as easier to learn than the F-16.  

As for a gaming computer, I recommend an alienware with the I-9 with 4 TB with at least 32 GB for 15 inch monitor.  It should cost approximately $3,800.  Invest in logitech rudder pedals and in a large gaming monitor.

Mike Force Team

27 minutes ago, Mike Force Team said:

@Phadreus Welcome,

My name is Mike and welcome.  I wanted to share my experiences with buying jets.  I recommend you purchase the F/A-18 before the F-16.  The F/A-18 allows you to do either carrier missions or land based runway missions.  The F/A-18 is more forgiving as well as easier to learn than the F-16.  

As for a gaming computer, I recommend an alienware with the I-9 with 4 TB with at least 32 GB for 15 inch monitor.  It should cost approximately $3,800.  Invest in logitech rudder pedals and in a large gaming monitor.

Mike Force Team

Hey thanks for the input MFT.  I'm actually considering the F/A-18 and do agree it seems like a great way to start. Tons of systems and mission capabilities to learn. I'm not opposed to that route at all. I do really like the thought of the challenge of Carrier operations being part of the learning experience.

I do have Alienwear on my list of options and they do seem to have a decent offering. I already have Track IR & the Logitech Rudders which were both given to me by my IT pal.  (Everyone needs an IT pal in their life). I'm nearly settled on the TM Warthog HOTAS but still reviewing all options available. 

I haven't seen much on Internet speeds being an issue of concern.  I live out in the sticks in a relatively lowly developed area, so my Internet speed isn't the most impressive thing out there. I haven't experienced any issue streaming audio/videos and it's been quite reliable. I wonder how it will do if I make it to the point of flying with others on a Server over the web?

1 hour ago, Phadreus said:

"I'm nearly settled on the TM Warthog HOTAS but still reviewing all options available. "

I started with a TM Warthog HOTAS--I've owned the TM, VKB, and Virpil--both the VKB and the Virpil are miles and more better than the TM.  At the least, give them a look.  Don't let the fact they ship from Europe and Asia deter you.  They are both far far better options.  I'm all Virpil at this point and never see myself going back.

Just now, GoodHope said:

I started with a TM Warthog HOTAS--I've owned the TM, VKB, and Virpil--both the VKB and the Virpil are miles and more better than the TM.  At the least, give them a look.  Don't let the fact they ship from Europe and Asia deter you.  They are both far far better options.  I'm all Virpil at this point and never see myself going back.

Hey GW.  I've been checking out the Virpil stuff...man does that stuff look nice...a bit more money than the TM solutions, but I could see how it could be worth it.  My thinking so far, albeit possibly wrong footed, is that I'm trying to determine where to invest my money in system/peripherals where it makes a difference in the overall experience. For instance, I'm to the age where I am regularly using cheater glasses, my eyes simply aren't what they once were, so investing big money in the highest level of graphics capabilities most likely will not improve my experience. The function and feel of a higher end HOTAS, could make more sense as far as bang for buck experience. I dunno, I'm new to this, so I'm simply speculating logically at this point.

I'm at that age myself so I totally get where you're coming from and we all have to make decisions based on our own situations.  And with this hobby there are a lot of decisions to make, so take your time and do your research--which it sounds like what you're doing.  My biggest gripe with the TM was the stiffness of the base--they're very stiff. Going from that to the VKB and the Virpil--huge difference.  Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoodHope said:

I'm at that age myself so I totally get where you're coming from and we all have to make decisions based on our own situations.  And with this hobby there are a lot of decisions to make, so take your time and do your research--which it sounds like what you're doing.  My biggest gripe with the TM was the stiffness of the base--they're very stiff. Going from that to the VKB and the Virpil--huge difference.  Good luck!

Hi GH,

Funny you mention the stiffness of the TM stick. In 1998, my wife worked as a civilian contractor on Wright Patterson AF Base. She got both of us into the manufacturer's display/demo tent at the annual Air Show in Dayton, OH that year.  She spoke with a representative from Hughes Corporation who was running a demo of their simulation cockpit for the F-16, which was a full-size duplication of the actual F-16 cockpit. Was non-articulating, but had surround monitors and everything worked like the real aircraft. She told the guy I wanted to try the simulator and that I flew F-16's (meaning I played Falcon 3.0 on my PC at home, but he never asked so I didn't tell). He let me give it a try, so I hopped in and took off, flew to a way point, engaged a Mig 21, flew to another way point and landed. Now to my point...I personally found the stick in the real simulator unbearably stiff. I flew for 30 minutes and my right arm was like jello when I finished. My arm was SO exhausted from putting so much force into the stick to maneuver. After I finished, an actual F-16 pilot hopped in and took off. I watched him and he made it look effortless, didn't break a sweat.

Thx for the thoughts GH!

• Like 2

Hello everybody,

I'm Nacho, from Spain. Coming back hard to combat flight sims after being distracted for too many years. I've always been a mediocre sim pilot but man, do I love it. 

I know of DCS World since the beggining, but never tried it (I did play Flaming Cliffs back in the day, though). I'm not really that much attracted to modern jets and warfare, that's why I took so long to finally give it a go... and I'm trully impressed. I love that there are training and practice missions that make you get into the plane step by step. I've been really enjoying learning to fly and use all the weapon systems in the free Su-25T, now my beloved Spitfire and the M-2000 are next.

• Like 2

Hi all. I'm from Australia, new to sims and to the dcs forum. I've been interested in sims for quite a while, but haven't had the time or space to get into them. 

I've recently downloaded dcs with the Flaming Cliffs pack and am looking for an entry into more realistic simulations with a more gentle learning curvw than going high fidelity straight away. 

Also very new to online gaming, so know very little about how to participate in servers and in online groups. If anyone has good advice on where to start, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say. 

• Like 2

Hey everyone, 

From the West Coast of the United States. Marine Veteran from the F-18 community. Also worked on AV8Bs, UH-1Y and AH-1Z a bit, some F-16s unfortunately, and a few others thrown in there. Been a military aviation fan for a long time, played a variety of flight sims over the years and figured I would get back into it a bit more seriously this time. Played it a long time ago, but PC at the time wasn't up to the task. Not so anymore and finding it an enjoyable experience, especially when I can manage some decent time in VR with it. 

Mostly working on my Hornet qual right now, but plan to expand as I become more proficient.  Still learning a lot so I might have silly questions that I can't understand from google lol 

• Like 2

Originally joined in 2005.  Learned a lot!  Last post 2011.  Bought AH-64 a couple of weeks ago, so now I am back.  Not sure where I went (no, it wasn't prison or anything like that).  But I am back!

Would have been sooner but I couldn't remember my password and the "Forgot Password" function doesn't work for me, lol!

But this place seems just as helpful as I last remember it, and I think I will need a lot of help on this new module.  Just playing catch-up for now.

Thanks, ED!  Loving AH-64!!

• Like 2

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Hello all people, I'm Gianni from Rome.

Just recently downloaded DCS and take the opportunity of the past week sale to bought Flaming Cliffs.

Hope to resolve ASAP my Hotas X problem to start play ( maybe with the community help...)!!!!

Cheers

Edited by Kurnass1977
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kurnass1977 said:

Hope to resolve ASAP my Hotas X problem to start play ( maybe with the community help...)!!!!

Welcome! Just describe the problem in a new thread.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

17 ore fa, draconus ha scritto:

Welcome! Just describe the problem in a new thread.

Will do. but before want be sure that I can solve the issue without disturb for nothing and check if someone else had similar problems in the past, many thank!

• Like 1

hi im EC11 "lee" im one of the older genaration, looking to really get into dcs, but im going to need some help lol, i have a high end system and hotas warthog kit, looking to set up my equipment for dcs.

1 hour ago, EC11 said:

hi im EC11 "lee" im one of the older genaration, looking to really get into dcs, but im going to need some help lol, i have a high end system and hotas warthog kit, looking to set up my equipment for dcs.

What seems to be the problem? Not exactly young myself, making dcs work is kinda easy, tweaking it...... geez, guess I missed the last 20 years of development in the IT sector. Tried to throw money at it....  nope Sir, doesn't work. But as a guy who started with computer in the early 80s,I'm so happy with my VR stuff in DCS, even so I'm more tweaking than flying 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 1

Hi I’m really sorry for the long delay in replying, but I had an issue, I got some help! from someone on steam, which I can only explain as NOT HELP, I have learnt how to import profiles and was given a profile for the A10 cheap version I also got the F15 cheap version…lol which I will upgrade as soon as I get a grip of DCS, but the help I got caused me to throw my dummy out of the cockpit shortly before I hit landing gear which was in fact eject , so currently I have messed up profiles for keyboard/mouse/hotas warthog throttle/and joystick, what im looking for is a profile for the A10 and possibly a cheat sheet so I can actually see what button dose what as there are a lot of controls to use and a lot that I won’t need to use, and after that im hoping to find a group of like minded guys I can fly with 😊 thanks for your reply and I hope this wasn’t too long winded lol  lee “EC11” i have a high end system vr warthog throttle and joy, and sailtec rudder pedals.

Edited by EC11