Meet and Greet

On 4/17/2022 at 10:40 AM, EC11 said:

Hi I’m really sorry for the long delay in replying, but I had an issue,....

Oh, those are "problems" I can't help you with. I'm in DCS because I can click stuff in the cockpits, which adds an additional layer of immersion for me. That said, I own the FC3 planes but actually I don't fly them, because of this "problem". So I actually don't have a profile for these planes.

What I do so, is watching this project:

This guy is making the FC3 cockpits clickable, at least for what's possible.

Like I said, I love the "deeper" models, so sorry, in this case I can't really help you, but I guee there is a bunch of guys around which fly the FC3's and are happy to provide a profile (I even don't know how to share a profile...went thru all the pain getting them running.....but I use a lot of specialized (aircraft depending) hardware and still building more. Guess 2 more years and I got my TEDAC working 🤦‍♂️

IMG_20220419_112048.jpg

Hello, from Las Vegas and new to the game, actually I've never played a flight sim before and been a World of Tanks player since the beginning of that game, I've always wanted to play a flight sim but was never really ready knowing that they can be daunting in nature, but I finally decided to pull the trigger and DL DCS.

A well known player in DCS said a good way to start is to purchase a plane that I always liked IRL so I bought the F16c a few days ago, one reason I like it is because of the bubble canopy ( getting on in the years so the ol eyesight is not what it used to be)

I know I will be back often to ask questions because I can be a little dense sometimes, and when I do I hope you will bare with me.

The setup I have is.....

Trackir5 and Logitech X56 H.O.T.A.S.

8th Gen Core i7 CPU

32 gigs of RAM

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC2 GPU

Edited by loucypher
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, checking in from Pennsylvania, USA. I have a commercial license with instrument, SEL, and MEL ratings. Flying has always been something I MUST do (irl). I used to instruct before life had a way of throwing it's junk at me. Never could hit the curve. Anyway, I started DCS about a decade ago when DCS was LOMAC and the A-10A/F-15C were it for USA planes. Thank God we're way past that. My primary bird is the Hawg, followed by the Falcon/Viper. Now, with the help of YouTube (huge thanks to Wags, Spudknocker, and ReconStewart), I'm learning the Hornet and the Huey. I recently got back into flight simming with a new rig, and looking for a reputable virtual wing to hopefully join. Time to go drop some JDAMs.

New Rig Specs

Gen 12 Intel 12900K CPU

128G RAM

GeForce RTX 3080 GPU

TrackIR 5

2x MFCD units

2x X-keys

Warthog HOTAS and Saitek pedals

• Like 4

Hi all, just checking in. I am new to DCS and have been slowly gathering gear and getting used to the Viper over the past 3 months - but I often still get pulled back into the comfort and safety of the F-15. Not gonna lie though, it's the current AMRAAM behaviour and AI wingman bug that pushed me to finally register here lol 😬

The F-16 is the sole reason why I decided to get into this sim. That said, I have been eyeing the Hornet lately and impatiently waiting on the Mudhen, as well as looking at different pedals and thinking about a TrackIR to replace my current Opentrack neuralnet setup.

See y'all around!

• Like 3

5800X3D - X570 Impact - 32GB - 4070 Ti Eagle - Caselabs S3 | Gunfighter Mk3 Rev.C retrofit + MCGU + 100mm / STECS Standard + SEM / WW ICP / T-rudders Mk4 / TrackIR 

Hi all

I'm Flanky83. I'm not completely new in DCS, I started DCS in 2019 with the hornet. I'm now flying A-10 and F/A-18 hornet.

My love for aviation started, a long time ago, with the F/A-18 hornet 2.0 on Mac. I was very young, but tried very hard to understand all the complex procedures of this aircraft. I also spend some time with A-10 Attack and Cuba. Not to forget Apache longbow 2.

As my country just received F/A-18 hornets, I tried to become a fighter pilot. I passed several tests and ended up with 2 weeks flight school on the C-172, payed by the army 🙂. It was hard but very interesting. As I had no experience of flying, I didn't pass the tests and was not selected to fly on the hornet. That was hard to take, but I continued my passion and became mechanical engineer.

I rediscovered my dream with the DCS F/A-18 hornet in VR! I'm very glad for this! I have now the Thrustmaster Warthog with hornet grip for full immersion ;-). 

Between Job, family and friends, it is hard to find time to fly. My progression on the hornet is therefore very limited. But the goal is clear: "being able to fly as close as possible to real hornet pilots".

Good-speed!

Edited by Flanky83
  • Like 3

Hello World!

Today is my third day of flying the F/A-18C and it has been an amazing experience so far!  I was working on flight training for a PPL locally and started watching some Growling Sidewinder, Longshot and the Grim Reapers and instantly got hooked.  So, to say I jumped into the deep end is an understatement hearing about everyone's various rigs and HOTAS/Stick setups and the differences from head tracking and VR ..... lets say the wife would kill me if she knew what I have spent which could probably pay for ALL my flight hours to finish my license :).  I would love to meet up with some other sim pilots wanting to hone some skills or lend advice as we navigate the open skies.  Happy flying all and may the Winds always stay at your back!

Current Set-up:

Z690 ASUS TUF Gaming with x4 8GB 3600 RAM and 2TB M.2 

RTX 3080 12G

Intel i7-12700K 

Reverb G2 for VR

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Stick 

Logitech Rudder Pedals

Edited by Dealtswiftly
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dealtswiftly said:

...and may the Winds always stay at your back!

Oh, that's a big no no for take offs and landings 🙂

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I would love to download some new maps and have never contemplated a helicopter, but I am sure I will get the itch at some point and more than likely will scratch it.

Correction: Downloaded all the maps!

Edited by Dealtswiftly
  • Like 2

Hey! Elisa from Chile. 

My grand father was a private flight instructor so he took me with him many times when i was a kid so that was the initial spark lol. For all my life i liked plane sim games but never had a decent computer to do it (i played a few old win 98 "sims", flew planes on battlefield, played combat flight simulator back in i don't know when, etc). 

Fast forward to past april on which i went to an aerospace/defense fair (which i go to every two years since 2008 lol) and got to try the F16 demonstrator. Needless to say, i was hooked! I then tried a friend's setup with DCS and VR and i decided that i wanted in too. Got an X56, a quest 2 and then i ditched my laptop for a more capable system (3070 [it's something], 32gb ram, i7 12700, a decent ssd and so forth). 

Started with Flaming Cliffs adn the F15, but last week i made the jump to the F16 which was what got me into this and good god am i in love with that bird. 

Still a noob and still struggling with VR and what not but i'm having so much fun. So anyway... glad to be here 🙂

• Like 4

On 5/16/2022 at 6:51 AM, raven06a said:

Elisa from Chile

Hey, you're in for a big surprise as the South Atlantic map is coming soon to DCS.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 5/17/2022 at 1:13 AM, draconus said:

Hey, you're in for a big surprise as the South Atlantic map is coming soon to DCS.

Haha yeah my buddies told me as much. Hopefully I am able to learn to a fair amount a couple of planes by then. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm finally coming to DCS after years of watching it from the ground.

I grew smelling kerosene since my father worked as airline station manager. I used to play flight sims as soon as we had a computer, I have very fond memories of me as a kid, playing Microprose F-117 (that was already old back then), me just holding the stick and my father, as "RIO"; pressing all the buttons. Later, I played Jane's WWII Fighters, and then, during my high school years, I almost exclusively played Sturmovik. Then came my student years and I no longer had a computer capable of running any sim. Well, until now, I've been collecting hardware for two years and my PhD is finished, I am joining the sim I've been watching for 10 years.

• Like 3

Welcome , hope you have many rewarding hours with DCS , Vector1

• Like 1

Metabox Laptop i9 13900HX, RTX 4060, 32GB 4800 MHz DDR4 RAM, 2GB SSD, Pico4 VR Headset WinWing Orion 2 Hotas, F15E Strike Eagle handles, F16EX Viper Joystick.

@Delta-canard Welcome to DCS.  I read your introduction and I see that you have extensive flight simulator experience with different programs.  As for me, I fly the F/A-18 in DCS.  I like the F/A-18 because it is easier to use and more forgiving.  Additionally, the F/A-18 can be used for carrier missions and for land based missions.  I recommend waiting on buying the F-14 because it is harder to fly than the F/A-18.  Investing in the Super Carrier mode is good for when you are using the F/A-18 or the F-14. 

Mike Force Team

• Like 1

Thanks! Well, my experience might have been extensive, it's really old and sims have changed since the times of my flying. I'm pretty sure I'll have to re-learn everything, even if I've done some ground school. The Hornet has always seemed very complicated to me (might have to bo with the fact that Jane's Super Hornet had defeated me back in the day, I ended up going WWII). I was thinking of giving myself some training in a simpler, older aircraft, perhaps even doing the Kursant campaign on L-39, before moving to someting more modern.

• Like 2

Hello everyone. I have very little experience playing simulators and have wanted to get into flight simulators for a long time now. Well I'm here!!! I am waiting on delivery of my hotas and TrackIR. I was able to borrow a gaming computer form a buddy and will be building my own over the coming months. 

I'll be asking a ton of questions. I have been going through tutorials for the A-10 and once I get my equipment I'll get started. 

Tally Ho!!!! 

Edited by Cory407
  • Like 2

@Cory407 Welcome to DCS. I do not have the a-10 but it is a great tank parts distributor. Destroying the tanks or hinds scatters parts all over the battlefield. 

The a-10 goes low and slow. It excels at CAS.

As for me, I have the f/a-18 with the super carrier. I have the south Atlantic map, too.

MFT

Edited by Mike Force Team
  • Like 2

Well,  After many years of avoiding this game and watching from afar as I knew how crazy I would probably go.   I finally broke and in a giant fit of retail therapy, built my first PC and sim rig.  Its been a crazy fun 6 weeks getting it all together and now I can finally start flying.   I do have an aviation background with a commercial multi ifr and also glider licenses held in the past and I've been an air traffic controller for 14 years.  Played all the Janes games and flight sim as a kid.    I told the wife it was build a sim or mistress and since this was cheaper i went shopping (I'm not sure how much cheaper).

My RIG.  My happy place.

VKB Gunfighter MCG Ulitmate , VKB T rudders, Winwing Orion throttle with F18 handle, Cougar MFD's, Stream deck xl, GT omega ART sim rig, Valve Index VR

My CPU

AMD 5900x, 3080TI, 64ram

Edited by Tumblingmirth
  • Like 2

My Rig:  5900x, RTX3080TI, 64gb DDR4 3600

VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Grip Ultimate, VKB T-Rudder, Winwing Orion 2 F18 Throttle. 

Valve Index VR

3 hours ago, Tumblingmirth said:

Well,  After many years of avoiding this game and watching from afar as I knew how crazy I would probably go.   I finally broke and in a giant fit of retail therapy, built my first PC and sim rig.  Its been a crazy fun 6 weeks getting it all together and now I can finally start flying.   I do have an aviation background with a commercial multi ifr and also glider licenses held in the past and I've been an air traffic controller for 14 years.  Played all the Janes games and flight sim as a kid.    I told the wife it was build a sim or mistress and since this was cheaper i went shopping (I'm not sure how much cheaper).

My RIG.  My happy place.

VKB Gunfighter MCG Ulitmate , VKB T rudders, Winwing Orion throttle with F18 handle, Cougar MFD's, Stream deck xl, GT omega ART sim rig, Valve Index VR

My CPU

AMD 5900x, 3080TI, 64ram

Welcome aboard!  Love that demo Hornet paint in your avatar!