Meet and Greet

Hey.

I've never been on these forums, so this is the first time posting here ever.

I'm a student really into military simulation (and maybe not-so-simulation too as I play Counter Strike a lot) and I've watched my dad play flight sims since I was about 8 years old and played them myself since the age of 12. I love flight and I love a sense of community.

I've actually had previous experience with DCS series. I managed to learn and fly and play the A-10C module, I loved it, but never really bothered to buy the game for myself. Now just today I noticed that the whole franchise is on sale on Steam, so no two thoughts and grabbed me some Flaming Cliffs 3.

I'm really eager to do set up my dusty joystick, do the tutorials, learn to play the game and eventually delve deeper into the community and perhaps some multiplayer.

Also, if anyone has a solid, small or large (no matter the size) multiplayer community that would appreciate a potential dedicated member, let me know, I'd be happy to hear about it and join, perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

FNG

New guy...wanting to try a helicopter combat sim...win 8.1 and x52 flight system. Loved(addicted) the old old Commodore 64(100 years or so ago) game "Gunship"( I know it was NOT a sim..but as close to one as it could be on that machine...imo) and wanting to "rekindle the love" ....so to speak :) Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Something...(if possible) that scales well to dumba....err...noobs.

Really looking for single player but....well...will try most things at least 3 times (gotta be sure).

Thank you

Crueltiming

New guy...wanting to try a helicopter combat sim...win 8.1 and x52 flight system. Loved(addicted) the old old Commodore 64(100 years or so ago) game "Gunship"( I know it was NOT a sim..but as close to one as it could be on that machine...imo) and wanting to "rekindle the love" ....so to speak :) Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Something...(if possible) that scales well to dumba....err...noobs.

Really looking for single player but....well...will try most things at least 3 times (gotta be sure).

Thank you

Crueltiming

Check out TAW at http://taw.net

There's an active and thriving DCS division with quite populated NA scene. Regular events and the last one had some twenty people on.

There are also flight instructors that will teach you to fly your craft from basic to advanced levels in no time.

• 2 weeks later...

hello to the ED community, I am excited to become a new member here,

I will be downloading dcs very soon and buy the huey, warhog and

couple more if anyone would like to suggest anything that

would be great, another quick question, perhaps stupid but would it be better purchasing from

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/ or through steam thanks

Edited by Graphic harbour

Howdy y'all.

Stumbled onto DCS: World in Steam and gave it a go. Here I am a week later and ended up buying the Mi-8 and MiG 21 modules. I plan on getting Flaming Cliffs 3 next. The Su-27 flanker really looks interdasting.

I've been enjoying the included Su-25T and the MiG 21, but I'm still having a bit of trouble with the learning curve on the Mi-8. Quarter of my problem is my joystick sucks (Saitek Cyborg Graphite), other quarter of my problem is my PC just needs to be replaced (somehow running this thing with 4 GB of RAM) and the remaining half would be solved with more stick time. :joystick:

I live in North Texas and work as a CNC machine operator. I like it, and every day usually ends with me learning something new. I also enjoy shooting, hunting and hiking when I'm not doing whatever else besides work and playing games. I usually spend most of my spare money on gun stuff, but I think I'm going to take a detour for a while and get back into flight simming. I really need to just build a whole new PC, though. Current Mobo is too outdated for what I want.

A66C86C91934AC5DC299C9BDB72AF094CD36B60D

83E3D350E49F79B8C0FFA654528F48F98E1492F8

B2kkake of the Cola Wars

Howdy y'all.

Stumbled onto DCS: World in Steam and gave it a go. Here I am a week later and ended up buying the Mi-8 and MiG 21 modules. I plan on getting Flaming Cliffs 3 next. The Su-27 flanker really looks interdasting.

I've been enjoying the included Su-25T and the MiG 21, but I'm still having a bit of trouble with the learning curve on the Mi-8. Quarter of my problem is my joystick sucks (Saitek Cyborg Graphite), other quarter of my problem is my PC just needs to be replaced (somehow running this thing with 4 GB of RAM) and the remaining half would be solved with more stick time. :joystick:

I live in North Texas and work as a CNC machine operator. I like it, and every day usually ends with me learning something new. I also enjoy shooting, hunting and hiking when I'm not doing whatever else besides work and playing games. I usually spend most of my spare money on gun stuff, but I think I'm going to take a detour for a while and get back into flight simming. I really need to just build a whole new PC, though. Current Mobo is too outdated for what I want.

Welcome! For the helicopters, I would recommend a good set of rudder pedals, it helps a lot, and there are a lot of great youtube tutorials on the MiG-21 if you want to learn more.) And get the Ka-50 if you want a beast helicopter that can do almost anything)

I am also with you on the Su-27, that is going to be great!)

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Welcome! For the helicopters, I would recommend a good set of rudder pedals, it helps a lot, and there are a lot of great youtube tutorials on the MiG-21 if you want to learn more.) And get the Ka-50 if you want a beast helicopter that can do almost anything)

I am also with you on the Su-27, that is going to be great!)

Thanks!

I've thought about getting pedals, although I'll have to get a step stool for them since my PC sits on a bar, and I sit in a bar chair while using it. I've often thought about getting one of those joysticks where you can twist the stick left and right to act as your rudder. Right now, its just the left and right buttons next to the pit hat on top of the stick. Still not that great, but better than using the keyboard commands.

Last night I managed to get the cold start sequence for the MiG 21 down, except I guess you need to ask ground for a refuel after setting the fuel gauge to near maximum capacity or something. I kept running out of fuel even though it says I'm not even near half way through my supply. Which made me wonder why the emergency engine startup sequence wasn't working. :doh:

I am planning on getting the KA-50 sometime soon, probably after I get the hang of the Mi-8. However, what I really wanted was a Mi-24 Hind. I really like the looks of that heli, and wish there was a detailed one in DCS. The Mi-28 is also a favorite of mine as well. Although, I really need to upgrade or really just rebuild a new PC. Sometimes my machine stutters due to insufficient RAM, which sucks if you're in the middle of taking off, landing or trying out a maneuver. I'm still using two sticks of 2GB DDR2 RAM, and most sticks of DDR2 out there don't seem to go over 2GB a stick. At least not without costing an absurd amount of money. Then I just start thinking of building a newer one with better DDR3 RAM that seems to be cheaper, and have more capacity per stick. Then, I'd look into an Intel i5 processor, at least 700 Watt PSU, and then the PNY edition Nvidia GTX 760 2GB DDR5 graphics card.

B2kkake of the Cola Wars

• 4 weeks later...

Hello world...

Hi all,

Had my eye on DCS for ages and finally decided to commit to it by grabbing A10C, FC3 and CA for £12 in the steam sale recently.

Been a big plane/copter nerd for a long time since I built my first airfix F-14 Tomcat and BAE Hawk as a kid.

Gaming wise I think the first flight sims I played were F-29 Retaliator, FA-18 Interceptor, Birds Of Prey and Fighter Bomber on the Amiga.

After this I ended up on PC seeing a mates copy of TFX, EF2000 and of course, Flanker 2.0 and being blown away by the complexity and difficulty of the genre even back then.

From there it got a little hazy as the sims I bought were probably classed by most as the least sim-like such as Novalogic games eg Raptor, Lighting 3, Flanker and sadly even though I knew Falcon 4 was being lauded as a masterpiece by all at the time, I didn't buy it until I picked up a used copy off eBay only recently in 2012.

I did buy Lockon back in 2003 and this made me realise that at least somebody wanted to keep the in-depth combat sim alive as at this point combat flight sims as a genre were dying off and only less hardcore realism ones were being made.

I have also always enjoyed heli sims going back as far as amiga Gunship I think and also unless I am imagining it, there may have even been a copter sim on the spectrum.. but I could be wrong!

Just recently I have been putting the time into the PS3 version of Apache Air Assualt by Gaijin on the hardest modes and it has been epic! There is a single mission outside of the main campaign where you have to fly a Hind noe and I can nail it on the realistic flight model veteran mode in just over 6mins through the valley - I have the replay on the PS3 and will have to upload it onto youtube or somewhere, great fun to watch.

I cannot stress enough how much I want an Apache module for DCS and have spent a few hours reading up on all the variants eg AH-64 A, D, E and AH-1 (the UK version) and also the different blocks of each letter version. I noticed that some have reservations on the Longbow (AH-64D) being made for DCS but looking into the exact differences I don't see it being impossible to DCS it even given that some aspects are classified - eg A-10C was still made for DCS despite some aspects being classified for sure - and every single aircraft has classified elements which haven't made it into the DCS module of said aircraft.

Personally I would hope that whoever works on the Apache module literally treats it as a progressive project eg starting with all the known elements eg to get the module up to at least AH-64C spec, then the D variant and more importantly (and ultimately) aiming for the final E variant.

I don't know how much disclosure ED and belsimtek are prepared to give on future roadmaps etc for modules but I have been reading this forum for 2 days now and saw what happened with a module being worked on and progress being slow then ED going back to their old foundations and finishing it meaning the other module maker is kinda in a bad position now (btw I have to agree with ED on that one even moreso if the terms were 2 year window to get the module done).

What I would really like to know and what I think should be made common knowledge, is which aircraft the likes of ED and Belsimtek etc have in mind for the next 2-4 years as I really want an Apache module and if they didn't have any plans whatsoever for the next 2-4 yrs to start the Apache module, I would be very interested in working on it.

But if there was intent by the others to create the module I would not want a situation where 2 different efforts on the same aircraft happens again as I don't think it is good in the long term for anyone as it just leads to friction and bad feeling amongst the community. There are so many different aircraft to create modules for that it should be unnecessary for 2 different companies to be working on the same aircraft ever.

Sorry to end on such a prickly subject but yeah, I think some clarity on which modules intend to be worked on would be a good thing for everyone.

pilotfly.gif <-- wish there was a heli one to go with this smily

I have checked and double-checked and apart from learning that a P-51 variant was called an Apache also, I failed to find the helo AH-64 Apache anywhere on that thread, not even in a planned section.

In that case there's probably no Apache planned. :music_whistling:

As far as I remember, ED had planned to do an AH-64A after Black Shark and A-10C were done, there were some early WIP screenshots that are probably still buried somewhere on the forum, but that plan got canceled/delayed, and right now there seems to be no AH-64 in the making at all.

Then again, the AH-64A is outdated, the AH-64D still heavily classified and I wouldn't even dream about DCS AH-64E in the next couple of years. Still, lots of promising aircraft on the roadmap IMO. :thumbup:

Hello

First I would like to say thank you to everyone for all the great information I have read the past few months. You all have helped to greatly improved my DCS experience.

Edited by Video

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I'm very new in this world. Since the beginning of 2007, I've played many hours with racing simulators like rFactor, RACE 07 and their friends. But I couldn't enjoy these simulators nowadays, so I decided I need to find a new challange, something very different - I've always wanted to try a flight sim! And because I like the modern aircrafts, that's why I choosed DCS.

Yesterday I was able to try out the Mustang - and I had the first 'successful' landing too! :D

5IpQOzA.jpg

I'm sure this will be a very long journey, and I'm ready for this.

See you soon in the air! :)

AMD A10-5800K APU @ 3.80 GHz // 2*4 Kingston HyperX GB DDR3 1600 MHz // Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2 GB DDR5 // WD 500 GB HDD SATA3 // 20" Samsung screen @ 1680x1050

I just realised I joined the forums a few days ago and never bothered saying hello here.

Anyway Hello!

I've play flight sims for years on and off, have very fond memories of some pretty old ones that I grew up on like Jane's US Navy Fighters, Super Huey, Gunship 2000, B17 Flying Fortress, F16 Fighting Falconm, EF2000 and many more. (basically form the Amiga up I think)

I tried DCS about a year ago and got semi into it but only on the SU25. Then I think I got the A10C in a steam sale, after initially struggling with it I enjoyed it and then for some reason took a break. Decided to give it a whirl again a few months back and ended up buying FC3 also.

:joystick: I now have a TM Warthog, rudder pedals and my TrackIR5 arrives today. I think it's safe to say this time the bug bit and took hold :D

I'm thoroughly enjoying flying and learning new techniques (and remembering old ones) and have gravitated towards playing almost exclusively on MP servers rather than solo.

I'm looking forward to possibly flying with some of you in the future and being involved in this community! :pilotfly:

N1tch

Howdy. I have been lurking in the shadows for many years now. I read the forums numerous times per day, and have only started to have more time in life to dedicate to flying.

I started with the Black Shark 1, moved onto BS2, A10C (for fun as I mainly prefer rotors), P51 (for nostalgia), Mi8, and UH1H. I have seen many of you on occasion in-game on various servers.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to do the whole meet and greet thing, as I plan on partaking more in the DCS goodness!

Thanks, all. Thanks, ED.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!!

hey guys and girls i guess,

i just wanted to say hi to everyone,

iv been a flight simmer for over 11 years now mainly fs9 and fsx and falcon 4.0, i knew dcs was about well flaming cliff then dcs but i never really gave it the time i needed to get into it,

well boy i was wrong i wish i gave you guys the time of day years ago this year i really got into dcs and started learning about it and dabbling a little deeper in the workings of it all and im just amazed,

now that im signed up on the forums and starting to join a virtual squadron im just so amazed at the friendliness of these forums everyone's so welcoming and not moaning or bitching unlike said avsim forums where all it seems to be is old women moaning and bringing it down for the rest of us....so i guess im trying to say keep up the good work everyone well impressed and im here to stay now :)

Paul

Reg:pilotfly:

Hello everyone

My sincere wishes for Happiness and Prosperity for You, in this 2015 ...

Install this interesting and wonderful Simulator, buy several modules, aircraft and helicopters and I have no more to say the high level of detail and realism that bring these modules.

I've been on forums such as Auran, with its Traiz Simulator, the Ubisoft with Silent Hunter 5, simulator German submarines of World War II and which contribute some of my work with the textures of these wonderful machines, I flew with the famous Microsoft Flight Simulator since its creation until you install Digital Combat Simulator, which as I said, I am impressed by the level of detail that has this simulator ...

No more to say, will again my sincere wishes and hope to collaborate on what I can in this great forum ...

Greetings from Venezuela ...

Sorry for my bad English !!!

FORTIS FORTUNA ADIUVAT

Welcome to the DCS World gizomat!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• 3 weeks later...

You made a good choice Angel. In DCS you also get the Su25t and P51t for FREE!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download