Meet and Greet

Just now, walt262 said:

Which processor would be better, the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X or Intel corei5-12600K?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 minutes ago, walt262 said:

One other thing, the system seems to only have 3 USB ports, which one is a 3.0. Would a USB splitter be ok to use?

3 are at front on a case. A lot more are on the back right on the motherboard.

You should really start your own thread if you have more questions.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hello from Indiana.

Was a big fan of Jane's Simulators in the 90's.  Primarily Longbow 1 & 2.  Hope to learn the new AH64 and Warthog while I also do some WWII flying.

• Like 2

Gear: Asus 690Z, i5 12600K / 64GB DDR5 / Samsung 2TB nVME / RTX 4090 24gb / TM-Warthog / x56 Throttle w/pedals / HP Reverb G2 v2, Tracker IR

Irish 1-1 | Maleioch

dcs sign.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there fellow pilots!

I'm 38 years old, Belgian simmer. I've been playing simulators as long as i can remember! 
I've been mucking about in DCS for quite some time, but now it's time to actually learn the modules a bit 🙂

Anyone that wants to take to the skies together and teach a thing or two to a noob, please let me know ^^
I'll first be focussing on the F-16C.

Edited by therealabradolf
  • Like 2

Module:
A-10C Warthog / A-10C II Tank Killer / AH-64D / AJS-37 Viggen / AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL / Black Shark 2 / Black Shark 3 / Combined Arms / F-14 Tomcat / F-16C Viper / F-5E Tiger II / F-86F Sabre / F/A-18C Hornet / Flaming Cliffs 3 / L-39 Albatros/ M-2000C / Mi-24P Hind / MiG-15bis / MiG-19P Farmer / MiG-21bis / Mirage F1 /P-47D Thunderbolt / P-51D Mustang / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / Supercarrier / WWII Assets Pack
Terrains
Caucasus / Marianas / Nevada Test and Training Range Map / Normandy 1944 Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map / The Channel Map

5 hours ago, therealabradolf said:

Hey there fellow pilots!

I'm 38 years old, Belgian simmer. I've been playing simulators as long as i can remember! 
I've been mucking about in DCS for quite some time, but now it's time to actually learn the modules a bit 🙂

Anyone that wants to take to the skies together and teach a thing or two to a noob, please let me know ^^
I'll first be focussing on the F-16C.

Welcome! 

There are lots of people that wants to lend a hand, so I'm sure someone will reach out. 😊
I'm not too proficient in the Viper yet myself.

Cheers!

• Like 1

@therealabradolf Hello, I am happy to read your post.  I am glad you enjoy the F-16.  In my squadron, there is one person that is very knowledgeable about the F-16.  In Discord, the organization is listed as Sins Sim Zone.  I have positive experience with the people.  I am learning both the F-16 and F/A-18.  In Discord, I am viper#3400.

Mike Force Team

• Like 2

Hi all, been a gamer for too many years to count, used to play Gunship on ZX spectrum .yes I’m that old. Found DCS accidentally via YouTube, been flying the frogfoot by keyboard ,so thought I’d get the X52 hotas , delivery due Wednesday. 

what’s best pack to buy for a starter. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, stevy6 said:

This is the best one:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/licensing/trial/

And you're not old by any means. There are guys flying DCS in their 80s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevy6 said:

It really depends on your personal preference. Air-to-Air, Air-to-Ground, Ground-to-Ground? World War II, Korean War, Cold War, 2000s era? Fixed Wing or rotary wing? Button pushing galore or down-to-earth and seat-of-the-pants basic?

Also: Full Fidelity (fully clickable cockpits, everything that is called: "DCS: Something" like "DCS: F/A-18C Hornet") or simplified (not mouse clickable, and really simplified systems, called "Something for DCS World" like "F-15C for DCS World")?

You usually don't go wrong with maps.

Plus, for your very first purchase on digitalcombatsimulator.com, you get a 50 % discount, no matter how many modules you buy. So like draconus said, give them a test with the free trial and then pick whatever you like and save half the bucks when you get it all in one go. 😉

Edited by Yurgon
Corrected: First purchase is a discount, not a bonus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G'day from Australia. New to DCS, have some aircraft and a T16000m Hotas setup that I am trying to operate. Personal info, I am Ex Royal Australian Air Force, 24 years in uniform (medical Discharge 2006} 10 years Public Servant working on J series weapon integration to Classic hornet aircraft (medically retired from APS 2016) Started career working on Mirage III O and Macchi MB 326H, then F/A-18. Grim Reapers Youtube channel is my favorite pastime and flying sims.

• Like 1

Hello DCS pilots and community. After watching and studiying a lots of YouTube content, I have finally decided to step inside the virtual fighter jet cockpit. I am new to the DCS, but with enough experience in flight sims in the past - like FSX and good amount of hours clocked mainly long hauling wide body airliners across the World. Yeah, I know it's usually the other way around in real life 🙂 I am aviation fan in general and my love for the fighter jets started with Ace Combat 2 arcade, then I remember flying "Mig 29 Fulcrum" on PC (sim/game from '98 I think) and then I switched to the FS2004 and FSX.

I have purchased MiG-15bis, Su-27 and Su-33 modules and I am currently having a blast flying those. MiG-15bis is such a fun small jet and I found it being a good starting point for learning the high fidelity fighter jet cockpit layouts (older one tho) and getting into basic combat maneuvers in a less forgiving aircraft than highly manovarable modern jets with complex avionics and fly-by-wire. Su-33 is also so much fun taking off from and landing on "Admiral kuznetsov" carrier. I am currently going through the training and missions available in the single player mode, but also downloaded some user made missions for quickly getting into certain mission details and specifics - like trying and practicing Su-33 air refueling - which proved to be really hard at this point but its helping me precisely setup joystick and throttle axis sensitivity / aircraft trim and getting the feel for it.

Nice meeting you all!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XingDa said:

MiG-15bis is such a fun small jet and I found it being a good starting point for learning the high fidelity fighter jet cockpit layouts (older one tho) and getting into basic combat maneuvers in a less forgiving aircraft than highly manovarable modern jets with complex avionics and fly-by-wire.

Arguably modern jets with FBW and much more powerful engines are way more forgiving to fly. Also AAR is one of the hardest achievements in DCS so I scratch my head any time new pilots are trying to master it in first week of flying. Happy flying.

• Like 1

Hello Draconus and nice to meet you. Yes, that's what I wanted to say but probably didn't put it very clear in my sentence. About the AAR - you are absolutely right, it's too hard for me at this moment of time and so little experience in DCS so I am leaving it for some other happier time in the future, it was my curiosity to try all the things available 🙂 Happy flying and thanks for the response.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Pilots! I am pretty new to DCS, got interested WAY back when watching formation flying videos but never really looked into DCS for some reason. Now Im in, purchases FC3 of course, and have the Winwing F15EX/Hornet throttle and VirPil rudder pedals on the way, and my trackIR arrives today. I decided to go all in since I found out DCS is (somewhat) free and I intend to get back into Star Citizen and hopefully MSFS, plus Starfield. I am a PC repair technician and work on a lot of peoples gaming PCs, and a lot of older fellas came in with MSFS on their system so I played around with it while testing system stability and realized I needed to get back into flying. I'm learning basic handling at this time, and starting to throw in hot start takeoffs to learn the whole flying thing a bite at a time. Once all my gear arrives and I get configured and start hitting the startup, takeoff and landing tutorials I hope to see yall in the skies.

MechWarrior Online/DCS tag TimBuckToo

• Like 2

Hi! Good gear and smart decision to go for pedals and head tracking together with HOTAS all at once - you'll need all of them on day one, especially the head tracker. Now get ready for a lot of lovely flying hours, but also lovely sweat and toil learning all these birds (though FC3 are not rocket science, quite a reasonable choice for starters), setting up your gear etc.

Nothing compares to it, well, except for RL flying. Have fun! 🙂

• Like 2

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

I just got my TrackIR and went home for my lunch break to test it out. I launched a testing labs mission in Mechwarrior online, where the application is limited by which mech you pilot, some have dismal views but some have a lot of cockpit glass and it was amazing to move in the cockpit environment and be able to see things that you would normally have to twist your whole torso to see, small mechs who like to snipe from ridges better watch out, I can see them now! I run a triple monitor setup so my situational awareness with the trakcIR should be outstanding. Going to do the setup and tuning tonight in DCS and start getting used to the whole thing. My Winwing has shipped and is supposed to be in on Monday 19th and hopefully my VirPil ACE rudders will be on the way soon. Now I have to get my xmas wish lists out to everyone, I need DCS modules 🙂

0107211816e_HDR.jpg

@SwingWingDriver Hello from Mike Force Team, which is Discord ID Viper3400.  Great setup with the RGB lights, gaming headphones, and gaming mouse.  Make sure you have battery backups for the monitors and computer.  

Which air frames do you own?  I am asking which jets you fly.  As for me, I have the f/a-18, f-14, and f-16.  Which maps do you own?  I am asking if you have any downloaded any free maps or paid maps.  Do you have the super carrier?  This is for the aircraft carrier, which is used for the f/a-18 and f-14.  

Welcome and have a great day.

Mike Force Team

• Like 1

Thanks, I am a PC geek (also my job) so thats only 1 of my setups, I have 4 fully functional gaming stations I can setup in my office. I have never and will never run a battery backup, I would need a monstrous one keep my system running after a power outage and Im not in California so i'm not worried 😄 but next to that triple screen, i9 +3080Ti machine I have an i7 + 1080Ti machine with a 35" monitor.

I have purchased FC3 and downloaded all of the free planes i could find that work with 2.7 , and only own the free maps Caucaus and Marianas. I just dropped 1K for a whole new set of flight gear so I wont be purchasing any modules for a while, at least until I make it through all of the tuts on takeoff, landing and radar, Ive never played a realistic sim before but I have flown a lot in space sims and some MSFS about 15 years ago. Well there was the Harrier game on Commodore 64 WAY back when, and the first almost successful landing I ever almost made was ruined when my mother started yelling at me and made me shut i down. Now, if I can skid out, lose my wings and eject before exploding on the runway, I feel ive done good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, new to DCS, live in Tennessee, drewski grim reapers and last but not least growlingsidewinder channels got me to take a plunge into DCS,  really enjoy sim racing, but DCS has always peaked my interest. I learned spend once and be happy with the purchase so I dove head first into the sim with a virpil set up the mongoosT50 cm2 alpha grip and the mongoosT50 cm3 throttle. Hp reverb  G2v2 headset slapped an EVGA rtx3090 into my rig with a 12700k and 32GB of ram at 3600mhz. I’m a weekend flyer my job and family take up my other time. Learning the sim has been an awesome trial by fire. Looking for a squadron to fly with when I get my bearings, hope to see y’all in the skys soon! VR is pretty amazing, I’ve had track IR aswell and if it’s in your budget it’ll change the game 10 fold. Vr is breaking my neck at the moment.

Edited by Cable guy
  • Like 1

MSI Z690 PRO DDR4 12700K  EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GSKILL NEO 32GB 850WATT PSU VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base ALPHA R STICK VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle. REVERB G2 VR

5 minutes ago, Cable guy said:

Hey all, new to DCS, live in Tennessee, drewski grim reapers and last but not least growlingsidewinder channels got me to take a plunge into DCS,  really enjoy sim racing, but DCS has always peaked my interest. I learned spend once and be happy with the purchase so I dove head first into the sim with a virpil set up the mongoosT50 cm2 alpha grip and the mongoosT50 cm3 throttle. Hp reverb  G2v2 headset slapped an EVGA rtx3090 into my rig with a 12700k and 32GB of ram at 3600mhz. I’m a weekend flyer my job and family take up my other time. Learning the sim has been an awesome trial by fire. Looking for a squadron to fly with when I get my bearings, hope to see y’all in the skys soon! VR is pretty amazing, I’ve had track IR aswell and if it’s in your budget it’ll change the game 10 fold. Vr is breaking my neck at the moment.

If VR is breaking your neck, you may want to try VRNecksafer.  I recently started using this app.  You can search this forum or google. Welcome

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1