Meet and Greet

18 minutes ago, Drac said:

If VR is breaking your neck, you may want to try VRNecksafer.  I recently started using this app.  You can search this forum or google. Welcome

Thanks I’ll def check it out!

MSI Z690 PRO DDR4 12700K  EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GSKILL NEO 32GB 850WATT PSU VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base ALPHA R STICK VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle. REVERB G2 VR

Hello. Been lurking around for about a year now, dabbling in DCS on and off. First started with the Flanker (Yellow Squadron in AC4 was my favorite as a kid) on an xbox controller and was instantly hooked, I’ll never forget the feeling of accomplishment after a successful take off and landing. Work keeps me preoccupied most of the time but I’ve slowly been able to get a proper setup. Today I’ve now a VKB GF with MCGU and 20cm extension, WW Orion Throttle, and VKB T-Rudder with TrackIR. After trying out the Huey a few weeks ago, absolutely fell in love with helicopter aviation, to the point where I’m diving more and more into forums and discords hoping to learn and improve, hence why I figured it was time to make a post. 

I’ve always been a redfor fan when it comes to tech, and I’ve been having a blast in the Mi-8 and Mi-24. Looking to try the Ka-50 soon. Anyways, thanks for reading! You can usually find me on the Rotary Heads server trying to practice landings during CSAR runs.

• Like 3

1101.jpg

Hello. My name is airmanparker34, and I am a flight sim 'coholic. Coming from Xplane 11/12. Air Force Veteran.

• Like 3

PC Specs:

Memory: 32 GB DDR4 System disk: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, 2TB 970 EVO Plus 1TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PSU: EVGA SuperNova G+ Monitor: LG C1 4k OLED 120hz G-sync Ready
CPU cooling: 12 X 120 mm Air Graphics card: EVGA RTX 3090 TI Honeycomb Y/T

Hi everyone. New(ish) to DCS having used it for about 7 months, not new to simming in general. I thought I had a decent handle on flying through MSFS and X-plane but DCS has this habit of making me feel a little idiotic at times haha. It's so unforgiving, and there's so many things to remember. The learning curve with say, the AH-64, is just so steep.

Having said that, I love it. Wading through Chuck's guides, constantly doing training missions, free flights etc, I feel that I am making slow but steady progress with the modules. To the point now where at least things like muscle memory with, say, the A-10 controls for example, is now there (I have the Warthog hotas, which helps).

I'm also making good progress with the Viper, which is pretty intuitive in comparison with others.

The Apache though...... Jesus. I still can't take off properly 100% of the time.

It's all just so much fun though. So immersive, so time consuming, I really think that of course, bugs aside, it's a masterpiece of a sim.

Edited by PluckyUnderdog
  • Like 4

i7 12700, 3070ti, 64GB Orion 2 F16EX grip and throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals

Howdy all. New to the forums, and new to DCS. 

I played a heck of a lot of Jane's F/A-18 back in the day (had no idea what I was doing), and wow, DCS has really stepped it up a notch and I'm enjoying how immersive it is (20 years will do that). I took the plunge on the F/A-18 and I cannot get over how amazing this game looks and sounds. 

On another note, I also just purchased an X56... and it is absolute dog <profanity>! Defective switches out of the box and the joystick feels floppier than the TM16000 I'm currently using. Just junk. Plus, the throttles ghost other switches like crazy - gear down at 400kts. Yep, gooooood. Tail hook - down during take-off. Excellent stuff, just what I needed.
So, I will be returning it ASAP!! Could it potentially have to do with the fact that I'm trying to use it on a laptop (Legion 7 with 3080, 32mb RAM so manages the game with no issues)? Online says something about potential power supply issues through the USB ports something something. Sounds like an excuse. I'm seriously contemplating the TM Warthog, though don't want the same ghosting issue to persist...

Anyway happy to be here and very keen on learning the F/A-18 and actually surviving mission 3 in the campaign.
All I hear is my wingman 'mudspike, 10 o'clock..... spike 9 o'clock...... spike 9 o'clock..... mudspike 10 o'clock". FFS, shut up man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klackers said:

Could it potentially have to do with the fact that I'm trying to use it on a laptop (Legion 7 with 3080, 32mb RAM so manages the game with no issues)?

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure about these joystick issues, but it might be possible. Do you have a powered USB hub that you can try? Maybe borrow one from work or from a friend just to check?

1 hour ago, Klackers said:

I'm seriously contemplating the TM Warthog

It is a nice piece of kit... 😉

Then again, there are other manufacturers that surpass Thrustmaster's quality, but that hardware comes with a bit of a higher price tag. Just saying... :music_whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yurgon said:

Not sure about these joystick issues, but it might be possible. Do you have a powered USB hub that you can try? Maybe borrow one from work or from a friend just to check?

Hmm, I'll give it a try! I just bought one off Amazon, so I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the advice!

Edited by Klackers

10 hours ago, Klackers said:

Hmm, I'll give it a try! I just bought one off Amazon, so I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the advice!

Definitely give the USB hub a try. I have an expensive powered USB3 hub dedicated to my flight setup. When Im ready to fly I mount the HOTAS to a Monstertech chair HOTAS mount, put on my TrackIR hat and hit a button on the hub. It has 12 ports, and every 3 has its own power button so my flight gear is only powered on when I need it to be and the hub eliminates bad inpouts due to voltage sag on the motherboard USB. Most mfgrs actually recommend powered USB hubs but a lot of people dont utilize the recommendation.

On 11/9/2022 at 2:43 AM, Yurgon said:

It is a nice piece of kit... 😉

Then again, there are other manufacturers that surpass Thrustmaster's quality, but that hardware comes with a bit of a higher price tag. Just saying... :music_whistling:

I think it's just brilliant, but I agree with this sentiment. If I could afford a Winwing set up, I would jump at it instantly!

i7 12700, 3070ti, 64GB Orion 2 F16EX grip and throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals

On 11/10/2022 at 1:36 AM, SwingWingDriver said:

Definitely give the USB hub a try. I have an expensive powered USB3 hub dedicated to my flight setup. When Im ready to fly I mount the HOTAS to a Monstertech chair HOTAS mount, put on my TrackIR hat and hit a button on the hub. It has 12 ports, and every 3 has its own power button so my flight gear is only powered on when I need it to be and the hub eliminates bad inpouts due to voltage sag on the motherboard USB. Most mfgrs actually recommend powered USB hubs but a lot of people dont utilize the recommendation.

So I tried it, and no cigar.. It it still ghosting. Probably defective? Regardless, its on its way back to Logitech and I am awaiting delivery of the Warthog! Had to bite the bullet. I've been watching videos on the A-10, the F-16, F-14 and think I'll be putting a decent amount of time into this game so seems justified! Thanks for the advice!

22 minutes ago, Klackers said:

I am awaiting delivery of the Warthog! Had to bite the bullet.

In that case, you might chew some more and take a look at the Warthog Slew Cursor mod by DeltaSimElectronics:

https://deltasimelectronics.com

It replaces the tiny and somewhat unprecise slew hat with one that feels a lot better and is a lot more accurate. Totally worth it and highly recommended for all users, as it addresses one of the TM Warthog's biggest shortcomings.

• Like 2

Well, it appears they have actually amended this! 

I just got it an hour ago and the little thumbstick thing has been replaced by a concave, full motion stick. 

I am so impressed with this product. Leaps and bounds above the X56, for essentially double the price, its bloody worth it! The T.A.R.G.E.T software is also in depth, and user friendly if you use the manual along side it when programing. An amazing product! Very happy with it.  

new thumbstick.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Klackers said:

I just got it an hour ago and the little thumbstick thing has been replaced by a concave, full motion stick. 

Oh wow, that is BIG news man! First time I'm hearing about it. Awesome that TM finally addressed this shortcoming. And cool that you got one of the new units. 👍

And now I wish you lots of happy flying. 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yurgon said:

In that case, you might chew some more and take a look at the Warthog Slew Cursor mod by DeltaSimElectronics:

https://deltasimelectronics.com

It replaces the tiny and somewhat unprecise slew hat with one that feels a lot better and is a lot more accurate. Totally worth it and highly recommended for all users, as it addresses one of the TM Warthog's biggest shortcomings.

Concur, best mod out there for my Warthog.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Hello, I like Flight Sims and programing, I am new to DCS and any tips would be awesome! I fly the F16

• Like 4

Best Regards,

Super2019 "Super"

Main Aircraft: F-16 Fighting Falcon (Viper)

Youtube: youtube.com/@viperF16

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, finally presenting myself to the community.

I've been flying DCS for 2 years with FC3.
Some months ago bought my first Hi-Fi module (F-16C), and terrain (PG).

I hope to interact with other users so I can improve my knowledge and experience with all you guys and gals.

Cheers. 

• Like 4

MODULES: F-16C | FC3 
MAPS: PG | Caucasus | Marianas 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 11400F | 32GB DDR4 3200/CL16 | RTX 3060Ti 8GB | 1TB NVMe + 500GB SSD | ASUS B560M G.P. | Seasonic GM 650W |
Kolink Castle | 1080P/60Hz 42'' LG | TP-Link Hub 7x USB 3.0 | X52Pro stick + throttle | Headtracking w/ OpenTrack | Oculus Rift-S VR headset

Good time and good luck to all! I'm a complete newbie in this game. I like to fly virtual helicopters and would like to master the Razbam Harrier attack aircraft. I'm waiting the New Year to buy it...  Also like making missions in the editor. I am a former officer (not an aviator), but I don't like wars. War is always a very bad thing. I would like that our Earth always have a peaceful sky only, and any wars would always remain just a game.

• Like 3

В 06.11.2022 в 12:28, PluckyUnderdog сказал:

I thought I had a decent handle on flying through MSFS and X-plane but DCS has this habit of making me feel a little idiotic at times haha. It's so unforgiving, and there's so many things to remember.

I don't want to say anything bad about these games, they have a lot of pros and fans, but once I tried to play both. I just looked at several main buttons in the settings, and without reading any instructions and manuals, but knowing roughly from books and films how an airplane flies, took off, then flew in circles some time... And... sat down safely! I thought something was obviesly wrong here... And not with me. So I tried DCS. Everything was completely different here... Now I only play this, DCS.

• Like 1

Hello everybody, my name is Yann and I come from Beautiful Switzerland.

Playing DCS for 1 year now and it seems like i'm addicted to it now 😂

Flying the Hornet for now, because that's what we have here in Switzerland, and you can do everything with it, including carrier ops, which is absolutely cool !
But maybe I'll think about getting the F-15, can be really fun to fly with a friends on the backseat, and the C-130, to be the refueler, can be pretty fun too !

Flying on Persian Gulf and Nevada most of the times, less on Syria but sometimes too.
Waiting for the Kola Map and maybe Sinai.

Well, that's it for now 🙂

• Like 5

Hi everyone! Relatively new here. Tried multiple sims, non-sim flying games as well, and ultimately DCS is where it's at...

F-22 TAW was my favorite previously. Played a bit of Lock On, with these easy-mode flaming cliff planes. Found them boring, so here I am.

• Like 2