The Rookie Thread

Trouble getting the Standby SAI to uncage.

I am not sure what I am missing. The SAI in the upper right won't uncage. I click on the knob and rotate it counter-clockwise until it jumps in. Nothing. I push it all the way in, nothing.

The digital on the left always has a DIR red flag in the upper-left corner, but it is operating.

If I use the auto start up, the standby works fine. If I work my way through a checklist, it doesn't. I know I am missing something, but I can't figure out what it is.

Hi all (again),

I tried searching for this one, but didn't find a good hit.

I have most of the basic controls sorted and can cold start, take off, land, and am starting to master the hover tricks and the Trim.

The one thing that bothers me at this point is that the ASI in the upper left shows a red flag with "DIR" on it. It appears to otherwise function. I sorted (thanks to the above post) the missing switch in my start up that kept the backup ASI from working.

I have one other question regarding start up, this has happened to me a number of times now.

I have progress through to a successful start of the left engine and it is spinning up. I then enable the fuel to the right engine, switch the engine seelctor to the right and the right engine begins to spin up w/o my having to click on the start button. If it has done this, and I then move the engine (left side red lever) cut-off to the "run" position @ around 18%, then engine will sit at around 23-25% and then spin back down.

If I move the Red cut off back to the start position, wait a bit and then hit the start button with the right engine selected, it will then spin back up and I again move the red cut off @ around 18%. This time the engine spins up normally.

This doesn't happen every time. I would say 20% of the time. I follow the same check list each time and I don't skip around - so I am a bit puzzled.

Ah, one more thing I wanted to ask. Is it just me, or is the EKRAN switch already in the on position when you first get to the helo? It is hard to read the text on this switch. I wish the tools tips reported the current state as well as the label of the toggle, etc.

Thanks,

SNAFU

Edited by Major SNAFU

Snafu, you need to wait until engine #1 is fully spooled up to 60-70% before changing the swith over to engine #2.

Manual pages 9-12 (p328.):

CAUTION! It is not advised to move the Engine/APU selector switch from one engine to

another before the first engine has reached idle power. Rotor operation between

54…62% is not advised.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

This will vary compared to different checklists (it's the slow way), but generally you'll get the gist of it.

Once APU has started and spooled up...

Open Left Fuel Shutoff Valve

Engage Left EEG.

Switch Engine switch to LH

(unlock rotor brake lol)

Push the Start engine button.

Now with this next part, as the engine is starting, watch the N1 gauge (Right panel). When it gets to 18%, flip up the Engine Cutoff Valve (red handle). That's for a "proper" start, but I (and I'm sure many others) flip it up right after pushing the start button.

Once it's at 70%, THEN repeat everything for RH (minus the rotor brake).

When the engine doesn't kick over for me, it's usually because I failed to open the shutoff valve.

Another note I found somewhere--when the engine dies (as in doesn't start fully), it won't completely start up again until you...

1. Disengage Engine Cutoff Valve (red handle)

2. Switch to False Start (next to engine selector)

3. Push start button for that engine.

4. Let it spool, then die back down to 0% on your N1

5. Switch back up to Start (next to engine selector)

6. Start normally.

Hope that helps.

Also make sure you turn on the right EEG switch, I noticed when I was doing the start up procedures that the keys that I had for the Left Engine EEG switch was for the Right. And I copied what the trainer was saying in the start up predures training video.

If you want peace, prepare for war....

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

Well,

Back again with yet another question:

I was flying in Parabellum's training mission and had practiced t/o and landing for a bit. Then I proceeded to complete the mission of destroying the tanks, etc. with Vikhrs, missiles and guns.

I had read about making sure to clear/turn of all weapons settings and to disengage the altitude hold after an auto-hover to make sure there were no problems with normal flight. I've made a check list just for doing an after-weapons/After auto-hover just to make sure I don't miss something.

Anyway, I approach the base for landing (getting low on fuel by this point). I go into a manual near-hover (about 20 kph @ 100 meters) about 2 klicks from the end of the runway.

I run through my checklist to verify that there is nothing left over from employing weapons, etc. No auto rotate, no moving ground. HUD reset and double-checked again by backspace. Altitude auto-pilot disengaged - verified. It looks like I am ready to land.

I proceed in at about 45 kph and hold my descent rate to 1-4 m/s. Things are shaping up nicely. Using trim frequently when I make any cyclic adjustments.

At about 30 meters from the runway surface droping at 1 m/sec I begin to notice a slight, but increasing, rotation and banking to the right. I hit the trim on the stick and move the cyclic slightly to correct and there is no response from the helo. I increase the movement on the cyclic slowly and there is still no response. The right-ward rotation continues (slowly) and the bank stabilizes at about 10-15 degrees. I am now not over the run way and moving about 20-30 KPH.

I then do what I know I should not do and that is to try and bull the helo to the ground, with the resulting fireball. You cannot muscle this helo to the ground like I can muscle a fixed wing onto the ground (approaching the runway at a 30 degree angle, no prob, snap the rudder just prior to flare and she drops onto the runway nice as you please). Have to pound this through my head somehow ( I know, practise, practise).

What I should have done is increased collective and aborted the landing until I could re-stabilize the helo and try again.

My question after this long ramble is, what happened? I can't correct the problem until I understand what caused it.

My guess is that 20-30 KPH was too slow and I ran afoul of an asymetric ground effect of some kind, perhaps there was more wind than I had anticipated.

What I don't understand is why even extreme movement of the cyclic with the trim button pressed had no effect on the helo's behaviour.

I await the sages....

SNAFU

Edited by Major SNAFU

Detroit pretty much nailed it. When you trim, you should immediately reset your controls (cyclic and petals) to center, then they will be responsive again. It's a point that has been brought up in many topics, but that's basically what is needed.

As far as the variance, if I read your post right, that's just the helicopter at slow speeds. I don't remember at exactly what speed it appears, but a line will display on your HUD basically showing your flight path...a very handy tool to help you adjust the attitude of the aircraft (e.g. You could be very well going 30, but pulling back will do little if the line is facing to the side--necessitating opposite cyclic in order to slow down).

Edited by Booger

Detroit pretty much nailed it. When you trim, you should immediately reset your controls (all of them) to center, then they will be responsive again.

As far as the variance, if I read your post right, that's just the helicopter at slow speeds. I don't remember at exactly what speed it appears, but a line will display on your HUD basically showing your flight path...a very handy tool to help you adjust the attitude of the aircraft (e.g. You could be very well going 30, but pulling back will do little if the line is facing to the side--necessitating opposite cyclic in order to slow down).

Gentlemen,

Regarding your fist observation - I think I mis-led you or I am misunderstanding.

For me, Trim is normally always on shortly after T/O. When you hit the trim key on the stick, and trim is active, you are suspending trim while you hold the button down, make adjustments to your flight path, stabilize (manually) the helo then release the trim button while letting the stick center. After a few moments the trim is re-established according to how the helo is flying now. Or do I have this all backwards?

So the rotation and banking I am seeing are while trim stabilization is "on". I suspend it to make manual corrections and then re-enable trim. The problem is that when I suspend the trim, the manual inputs didn't seem to do anything (yet this is exactly the same process I use when flying around, hovering, etc. which seems to work; so it must have something to do with being slow and near the ground?) The banking and my attempts to adjust lasted much longer than the 2-3 seconds that trim takes to establish itself. for a time I neutralized my descent trying to level the helo. This went on for some minutes before I made teh attempt to force it to the ground.

I want to point out that this was an anomally for me. Usually I have not been having problems landing, and usually I was doing a more vertical landing. I had read that landing moving forward was easier because you are moving ahead of the groudn effect, so I was attempting something new.

I will review the manual again on the hud function you mention and pay more attention to it.

Thanks,

SNAFU

Edited by Major SNAFU

Even with trim engaged the helo will rotate if the wind is strong enough. Also before take off you can enable trim. If I'm on the runway I will push my stick forward just a bit and trim it, then when I take off I will be moving in a forward movent from the get go.

I haven't landed in a forward movent, that just doesn't seem like the way to land with a helo to me. I engage in a controlled hover about 100m above where I want to land- get the helo stablized and land. That way if there is any wind it doesn't matter much.

If you want peace, prepare for war....

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

Adjust to where you want the controls to trim to. Click and release trim, then center controls. Actually, there's a (fairly recent) Producer's Note about trim that might be worth reviewing if you haven't already.

Something else to consider also is getting your aircraft near where you want to touch down at, then engaging auto-hover vice wrestling the bull. You can still manipulate the aircraft, but it'll be more stick friendly as you move over the pad/space/whatever.

Edits to add:

Ha! Looks like Detroit is a faster typer than I.

Probably not Booger I'm just waiting for ups so I can fly some fixed wing stuff.

Where is the auto hover in the cockpit, and what key is it. I haven't seen it anywhere.

side note- how do I make my own skins??

The key combo is LALT+T. The control in the helo is on the cyclic stick, but I don't know if it is "click-able" or even visible in the sim.

Auto-hover is one of those cyclic controls that you need to program into your HOTAS.

Alt+T

Edits to add:

Ha, now beat by Snafu.

I'll just edit my posts with "see above" lol

Edits again:

side note- how do I make my own skins??

I honestly don't know. That's one of the many things on the to-do list to figure out after I knock out these campaigns.

Edited by Booger

Auto-hover is one of those cyclic controls that you need to program into your HOTAS.

Alt+T

Edits to add:

Ha, now beat by Snafu.

I'll just edit my posts with "see above" lol

Edits again:

I honestly don't know. That's one of the many things on the to-do list to figure out after I knock out these campaigns.

LOL. Last question for the day (ha!)

How do you turn on the red graphic in the lower-left hand side of the sim that is shown on the Trim video? I haven't made it that far in the manual....

LOL. Last question for the day (ha!)

How do you turn on the red graphic in the lower-left hand side of the sim that is shown on the Trim video? I haven't made it that far in the manual....

RCTRL+Enter

It's all in the controls .pdf under the /Docs/ directory...an excellent reference.

Edited by Booger