The Rookie Thread

The default weapons in a mission will do the job.

Rearm/reload will depend where you land as well. If you return to the FARP or field that you started from, you should be able to rearm/refuel ok. The thing is, you need to have your comms switch (4 way dial switch, Left console) set to ground, to be able to communicate with ground crew. Don't forget to switch back to VHF1 when they have done their business and you take off to do yours! :)

Reply to an extremely old post, but just in case it isn't mentioned in the future, you can also pop the door open to request refuelling or rearming from the ground crew without having to switch to ground intercom.

I seem to be getting this warning a lot lately. There are no changes to my start up procedure.

Did not notice any negative effects associated with it.

Any ideas ?

have you waited the 3 minutes for your INU to warm up prior to take off?

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

I seem to be getting this warning a lot lately. There are no changes to my start up procedure.

Did not notice any negative effects associated with it.

Any ideas ?

You are flying near a INU fix point, it allows you to realign the nav system, or some such thing, there is a procedure in the manual to align the INU using these points. As far as I know it really doesn't make a difference if you do the realignment or not, its not modeled but fun to do anyway.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=45907

If I misunderstood something in your post and you know this already, ignore me.

Edited by Nevyn

@ Reaper

I only take off after the HUD has fully materialized. The INU I start relatively early in my startup procedures. It is usually fully ready by the time the HUD comes up.

@Hrothgar

Like I said, there are no changes to my start up procedure. The two aforementioned switches you mentioned are all in the on position.

@Nevyn

I have been flying mostly on the 159th and the 51st a lot lately. These servers have amazing detail when it comes to placing things that are mission-centric. Maybe this is the case then ?

@ Reaper

I only take off after the HUD has fully materialized. The INU I start relatively early in my startup procedures. It is usually fully ready by the time the HUD comes up.

@Hrothgar

Like I said, there are no changes to my start up procedure. The two aforementioned switches you mentioned are all in the on position.

@Nevyn

I have been flying mostly on the 159th and the 51st a lot lately. These servers have amazing detail when it comes to placing things that are mission-centric. Maybe this is the case then ?

Yeah I reckon they would add INU Fix points, its the only time I have ever seen that on the Ekran, if you want train yourself on using them then Dragon Training pack has them in his missions, I think anyway, or you could build your own mission with them in. I add them into my missions when I design them, for me everything must be a realistic as possible. If I am wrong about dragons training pack having them in then just let me know I will design you a basic mission with an INU fix point in it so you can get some training in. ( Sorry I just cant remember Dragon has them in, but I am sure he does.) I think Ekran reports them when you are about 18 miles or kilometers from the fix point, and you can see them on the Abris too.

Edit: And it does take 3 mins to align the INU from a cold start, warm start is 30 secs, thats from everything I have read. I stay on the ground for 3 mins after switching on the INU anyway so I have never tested it to check, but apparently if you do hover take off and engage the hover mode, if the INU is not aligned properly the KA-50 will not hover, it will try and get to the position it thinks you are at.

Edited by Nevyn

I also add INU fix points in my missions, and I believe that is correct when you are flying near them. I tested with and without INU Fix Points, and it only displays on EKRAN when they are in mission.

From what I understand, INU alignment is instantaneous(not modeled in DCS). The DNS(Doppler Navigation System) is what takes time to align. This controls readout on the HUD for airspeed, as well as your hover controls. If you do not wait the 3 minutes for this to align, you will not get airspeed readout in HUD. And your autopilot dampers will go haywire if you try to engage hover hold.

Reaper6

• Like 1

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

• ED Team

Also same thing happens if you let your rotor RPM's drop down enough that your AC generators go offline, you'll lose your Doppler and will have to let it warm-up again.

One interesting thing to note is that if you take-off before your Doppler is warmed up, you'll still have the airspeed ladder on the left side of the HUD. The digital speed readout in the top left corner of the HUD is actually your ground speed, which is why it is reliant on the Doppler to provide a readout. Try some strong winds in your mission, and you'll notice the disparity between the two readouts depending on what direction you're flying.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

^

I do believe the INU is fully engaged when the airspeed appears on your HUD. When you try to engage the auto hover without it; you will find that the auto pilot channels would suddenly switch off.

Didn't know that thanks.

From what I understand, INU alignment is instantaneous(not modeled in DCS). The DNS(Doppler Navigation System) is what takes time to align. This controls readout on the HUD for airspeed, as well as your hover controls. If you do not wait the 3 minutes for this to align, you will not get airspeed readout in HUD. And your autopilot dampers will go haywire if you try to engage hover hold.

Reaper6

Thanks reaper, I have never read anything about a doppler, so this is helpful, I just thought it was the INU and that was it. Good stuff.

Also same thing happens if you let your rotor RPM's drop down enough that your AC generators go offline, you'll lose your Doppler and will have to let it warm-up again.

Yeah this one took me a while to figure out, I kept forgetting to swtich on the AC generators, then when I remembered that I kept forgetting to put the throttle??? in Auto mode. But those days are long gone now, thank goodness, hehe.:thumbup:

Edited by Nevyn

This!

Thanks reaper, I have never read anything about a doppler, so this is helpful, I just thought it was the INU and that was it. Good stuff.

No problem. I believe the DNS is activated by the "NAV" switch on the right panel near IFF. So its probably a good idea to have this as one of the first switches you turn on.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

One interesting thing to note is that if you take-off before your Doppler is warmed up, you'll still have the airspeed ladder on the left side of the HUD. The digital speed readout in the top left corner of the HUD is actually your ground speed, which is why it is reliant on the Doppler to provide a readout. Try some strong winds in your mission, and you'll notice the disparity between the two readouts depending on what direction you're flying.

I never heard about the doppler - which switch is that?

I never heard about the doppler - which switch is that?

If I'm not mistaken the Doppler Navigation System depends on the "ПНК ВКЛ – ОТКЛ" (Targeting Navigation system ON – OFF) switch on the aft section of the wall panel. There is no distinct switch for the Doppler Nav, though.

If I'm not mistaken the Doppler Navigation System depends on the "ПНК ВКЛ – ОТКЛ" (Targeting Navigation system ON – OFF) switch on the aft section of the wall panel. There is no distinct switch for the Doppler Nav, though.

Sometimes my HUD isn't complete and the ground speed is missing. Also my weapons and targetting and countermeasures.

It always happened when I tried out MP - I suspect it's a flaw in my startup sequence. Can it be that some systems need alternating current power for proper startup? I used external power as a first step in my latest try and everything seemed to start up fine.

I believe we are talking about the same switch. It is labeled as "NAV" in the cockpit. This switch does control DNS, you will notice when you switch this to on the HSI flags will turn off and the system begins to warm up.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

Sometimes my HUD isn't complete and the ground speed is missing. Also my weapons and targetting and countermeasures.

It always happened when I tried out MP - I suspect it's a flaw in my startup sequence. Can it be that some systems need alternating current power for proper startup? I used external power as a first step in my latest try and everything seemed to start up fine.

These systems must have power from the GPU(Ground Power Unit) or from the Left/Right AC Generators. If you are supplying them power from AC Gen then your throttle must at least be in "Auto". And your engines must be running.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

These systems must have power from the GPU(Ground Power Unit) or from the Left/Right AC Generators. If you are supplying them power from AC Gen then your throttle must at least be in "Auto". And your engines must be running.

Reaper6

What does "Plug me in you scrubby groundhog peasants!" mean in Russian? I need to shout that even before I climb into the cockpit, then.

• ED Team

Reaper6

What he said. Even when everything is switched on, if you don't throttle up those yellow levers on the left side, the generators won't start supplying AC power, even if the AC Gen switches are on. Rotor RPM's need to be above ~75%. Let them drop below that, and a moment later you'll lose that stuff again.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I won't go into detail on these question.

I think you should do some homework. Take some time and watch this. :smartass:

I believe we are talking about the same switch. It is labeled as "NAV" in the cockpit. This switch does control DNS, you will notice when you switch this to on the HSI flags will turn off and the system begins to warm up.

Yup, that's the one. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Night attack:

So I noticed the Skhval doesn't lock on, but you still can lase the target continouusly, fire a Vikhr and hit. It required some stick acrobatics from me though.

Throttle:

I think I got the power systems now. Even on auto throttle the systems on AC don't always start right away unless I put on some collective.

What about using the step above auto throttle? Is there anything bad about it (fuel burn, maybe?)

• ED Team
Night attack:

So I noticed the Skhval doesn't lock on, but you still can lase the target continouusly, fire a Vikhr and hit. It required some stick acrobatics from me though.

Throttle:

I think I got the power systems now. Even on auto throttle the systems on AC don't always start right away unless I put on some collective.

What about using the step above auto throttle? Is there anything bad about it (fuel burn, maybe?)

The Shkval needs light contrast to be able to auto-track (lock-on). You'll notice you'll start losing auto-track ability at dusk, even though you can still see the target in the TV screen. As you said, you can still lase and fire, but you'll need to keep the Skhval box on the target manually until missile impact.

Regarding the throttle, the best thing you can do is post a track during your startup so someone can see if you missed a step. Not saying you don't know what you're doing, but I've talked to guys during training missions that swore up and down they had their stuff right, but in fact missed a step. Someone visually inspecting your startup sequence just eliminates a lot of potential frustration.

DCS Rotor-Head