The Rookie Thread

Also found this thread for question #3. I should've googled before asking.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256416

But this one sounds like a bug. Nose pitches up in AP mode to compensate for the rocket recoil. And doesn't compensate with flight director on. But the rocket recoil is actually not modeled. So it actually works as intended with AP off.

Another rookie question. Regarding Datalink commands. There are 4.

1. Engage Datalink Target

2. Engage Datalink Targets

3. Engage Datalink Target by Type

4. Engage Datalink Targets by Type

I don't understand the purpose of 1 and 3 first of all. #1 seems like you can just do Engage my target command? Would be actually simpler?

And 3, you're telling him to attack just 1 target by its type? How is that different than #1?

#2, I tried it in Shooting Range instant action. I sent him just 1 datalink target and he basically attacks all ground units. And the actual command given from #2 is "Engage datalink target group". Not "Datalink targets" So this one I tell him to engage all targets in the group that one datalink target belongs to? How is this target group defined? By the grouping in ME? Or by proximity?

Edited by Taz1004

I will try to make the track but it's pretty obvious. In Shooting Range Instant Mission, lock up the truck column from where you spawned, then fly towards it with rockets armed. You'll find your piper way below your HUD. Then press the lock button again as you get closer and you'll see the piper pop up higher to where it's supposed to be.

Or hover near a target and lock it up with Shkval in Cannon mode. Wait few seconds and you'll find the distance to target indicated in Shkval change. And when you fire at this time, you'll miss. Then press lock again and it'll change back to what it's supposed to and cannon rounds will be accurate again.

I think I understand what's happening now. I had thought you were referring to the target mark instead of the aiming mark.

I've always found the range given in the Skhval to be valid only for a very short time.

Naturally, the aiming mark is tied to the range to target, so if the range becomes invalid, the aiming mark will be all over the place according to the "wrong" range at that time.

Making good use of the laser rangefinder has always been one of the most important skills for any virtual Ka-50 pilot. I don't know if it's properly modeled that the aircraft gets the range wrong quickly after using the laser rangefinder, but I'm pretty sure it's been like this for a very long time.

Personally, I usually keep the laser off, lock a target, and only after successful lock do I switch the laser to the standby position, lock target again for ranging, allow the laser to cool down, and then engage the target (or store it).

I think I found the answer to my question #4 and according to these guys, it is related to laser in cooldown.

You should really consider mapping laser and basic Shkval controls to your joystick buttons. Try finding my X52 profile. Even if you have a different joystick it contains quasi-statistically most used controls that need quick and frequent access.

You should really consider mapping laser and basic Shkval controls to your joystick buttons. Try finding my X52 profile. Even if you have a different joystick it contains quasi-statistically most used controls that need quick and frequent access.

I already have it mapped. I'm not using keyboard. But keeping track of the target range change and keep having to press the lock button again before firing requires some getting used to.

Anyone can answer my datalink question?

Edited by Taz1004

Another rookie question. Regarding Datalink commands. There are 4.

1. Engage Datalink Target

2. Engage Datalink Targets

3. Engage Datalink Target by Type

4. Engage Datalink Targets by Type

I don't understand the purpose of 1 and 3 first of all. #1 seems like you can just do Engage my target command? Would be actually simpler?

And 3, you're telling him to attack just 1 target by its type? How is that different than #1?

#2, I tried it in Shooting Range instant action. I sent him just 1 datalink target and he basically attacks all ground units. And the actual command given from #2 is "Engage datalink target group". Not "Datalink targets" So this one I tell him to engage all targets in the group that one datalink target belongs to? How is this target group defined? By the grouping in ME? Or by proximity?

1 Vs 4 is single target Vs group of targets. How is a group defined is a question to Devs. I can't imagine it's going to be often that you need a distinction in practice.

3,4 works like 1,4 but you narrow the targets to a certain type.

Is there anything else?

1 Vs 4 is single target Vs group of targets. How is a group defined is a question to Devs. I can't imagine it's going to be often that you need a distinction in practice.

3,4 works like 1,4 but you narrow the targets to a certain type.

Is there anything else?

3, 4 works like 1, 4? You mean 3, 4 works like 1, 2?

If that's what you meant, then that's pretty obvious from the wording. But that wasn't my question. In practice, what does 3 do? You select an armor, tell your wingman to destroy single armor by type? Isn't that same as 1? And for 1, if you're gonna tell your wingman to destroy one target, why not just use Engage my target command? Why go through saving the target to datalink, reset your targeting, send the target to wingman, and then give the command?

I tested some more with this and I think I figured out #4. You send one armor target and give #4 command and he engages ALL armor targets only (heavy and light armor). He doesn't engage trucks or air defenses. I guess this could be useful.

#2, I still don't know what it does. I think what it SHOULD do is if I send him two datalink targets and give him this command, he should only engage those two targets. Which should be useful. But in Instant Action Shooting Range, I send him one truck and one Strela and give him this #2 command, he engages all the armors only.

And yes, I did choose the correct target type when saving and sending the target.

Edited by Taz1004

• 5 months later...

Hold the aircraft steady, click the trim button, return cyclic back to center.

If you want easy way, pick a point on ground with HMS.  Auto turn to target on.

You can also use PVI-800 waypoint navigation.  You'll fly straight if you use waypoint navigation with no waypoint assigned.  Follow in-game En-Route Navigation Training.

• 1 month later...

Hey everybody,

is that rudder trim option even realistic? I mean it can't be, right? And that "return stick to centre position" trim? Sorry guys haha, I just want to fly that beauty somewhat near the realistic circumstances : D

Edited by Deran

I don't know if rudder spring change on trim is real.

But neither option for cyclic trim is exactly realistic. The only real method is force feedback. The two options with a typical joystick is a choice of if controls are locked until joystick is returned to centered or not.

I recommend avoiding the lockout unless you're having a problem. Crashing into a mountain out of control because you hadn't hit all center gates doesn't feel nice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deran said:

Hm okay, I just thought that the real Ka-50 has a trim button on the stick, the trim must be real : D

Okay, so the whole "return to centre for new input" procedure isn't the real deal?

Rudder trim and return to center for new input are not real.

You wouldn't want to use rudder trim anyway... gets very confusing on where it's trimmed to especially with auto turn to target.  If you don't have the control overlay that is which I don't use for immersion reason.

On 2/6/2021 at 1:11 PM, 3WA said:

In Options, under Special, go to Ka-50.  Set the Trimmer mode to Central Position Trimmer Mode.  I think that's the right one.

This means that when you click trimmer, the Shark will not accept input commands until the joystick is returned to center ( on the physical joystick itself ).

Now, we don't have FFB like the Shark does in reality, so we have to use the trimmer in a different way.  When you want to change flight path with the trimmer, instead of clicking it, HOLD IT DOWN, then change your position to where you want while holding down the trimmer, get every thing steady again and flying where you want while holding down the trimmer, now release the trimmer button, and let your joystick go back to center.  You should be trimmed.  Also, if you have the Height autopilot turned on, click your collective brake ( F key ) to set the new height in the height autopilot channel.  The trimmer will reset the center of the cyclic on the shark, wherever you left the cyclic at.  So, if you moved the cyclic 40 percent in force over to the left, that will be the new center of the cyclic.  The flight computer is still seeing 40 percent force push to the left from the cyclic, but the physical cyclic now isn't producing any real force, because of the change in center.  There is ZERO force at the center.  This lets the Auto Pilot once again exert 20 percent force control on the cyclic.  New force input is just added to whatever the flight computer is already seeing from the position of the cyclic.

When you hold down the trimmer, the auto pilot channels turn off, so it's going to be a little harder to fly until you release it.  After releasing the trimmer, the channels come back on.

As for clicking "rudder trimmer", I believe it's kind of a "cheat".  Supposedly, the AP on the real Shark does not control the physical rudder, only the blades ( at least that's what I hear ).

On 2/6/2021 at 2:04 PM, Fri13 said:

Requires little more information there. The AP channels are not turned Off, instead the AP authority is disabled for the moment the trim is hold down, and all the time input dampening for the channel is active as long the AP channel is On. So pressing AP channel Off requires clicking the corresponding button and light goes Off. 

I believe it is opposite.

In a real helicopter you need to hold pedals in the wanted position, just like the cyclic or collective. Those are linear and has full 100% position correspondence.

So if cyclic is moved fully to right, then there is no more any extra lift to be generated to roll to the right.

Even if the trimmed position is fully to the right, the AP can't perform any extra lift.

Same thing is with pedals, if you need to
 apply right pedal to fly straight, then you need to hold pedals in that position.

The force trim for pedals is similar, it will lock pedals magnetically to that position. But with the "Rudder trimmer" it is similar as joystick centering trim mode, you trim pedals to position and then you return pedals to center and after that new input can be received.

In a KA-50 as there is no anti-torque rotor, the turning is done by adjusting counter-rotating rotors Angle of Attack so that they start to generate more drag to one direction but keep lift same. So if wanted to turn right the rotor rotating to counter-clockwise AoA is increased and then clockwise rotating AoA is decreased. The other rotor "grabs" more to the air and causes fuselage turn to opposite direction. Why one pulling (near) max collective can not turn helicopter as both rotors AoA is at maximum and there is no possibility to have differential AoA for turning, but it's required to lower collective to get authority for turning.

Considering that Heading AP channel requires to control this, then AP should have only same 20% authority to pedals position, and so on have a magnetic trim as well there, like with cyclic.

But in home cockpit all do not have non-centering pedals so they can't just relax their legs as pedals try to center.

Why the pedals trimmer mode is offered.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, 3WA said:

Ahh, ok.  So "rudder trim" is like "central trimmer mode" for the pedals.  And damping is not turned off when you hit trimmer.

Thanks!  I will try it out.

How to trim.

The cyclic trim is like a spring on a magnetic anchor. When the trim button is not pressed the anchor is fixed and one feels the spring trying to pull the stick toward some particular position. This is exactly the same as our regular spring joysticks.

The magic is that when the trim button is pressed the magnetic anchor releases and no spring force is felt seeking a particular position. It is like the spring has been cut.

When trim button is released the magnetic anchor again fixes in a new position. This new position will be the center of all the new spring forces.

Here is a video as example:

• 8 months later...

Hello, I saw some users at youtube who said they had created target points in the mission editor. So I'm able to create initial points in the ME and I can find them on the abris, but is it true that it's also possible to create them as target points for the PVI and if yes how?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi@all,

For everyone who wants to dig deeper into the KA-50: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

I've watched a few videos of him in the meantime. He explains it in a deep where you can just be amazed. Up to now I was not aware of what a profound module the KA-50 is and what you can do with it! 

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

• 2 months later...

Hello @all,

I recently got the BS2 because i got the Huey (my first helicopter in DCS) in the last sale and have had a lot of fun (and some frustration) with it since then.

Then, after a few test flights with the BS2, I saw a video by Volk (Youtuber who is linked in the previous post) where I think it was about 10 good reasons for the BS2 and was completely flashed.

I looked around and unfortunately the campaigns that you can buy for the module don't seem to get good ratings (Steam). Can helicopters also be used, e.g. do something in Liberation? I could only find older posts about it here and they weren't positive either. How do you pass the time with the KA-50?

Thank you for your comments.

1 hour ago, Taderaz said:

How do you pass the time with the KA-50?

Well, when i finally jumped into the KA-50 after flying the Huey (i tried the shark before the huey but hated it for trying to kill me) i have basically focused on the following things step by step:

1. Did all the tutorials

2. Found my flow to do the cold start with the understanding what specific gauges and systems mean, and what all the buttons do (did not cover all of them, since im not flying the BS right now)

3. Free flight, tinkering with the autopilot modes, hovering, landing, simulated bob ups from behind cover etc. just to train stick time and master the trim. Flying In stability augmentation modes and without them etc. pure flight.

4. Weapons training on dummy, defenceless targets. how to acquire them fast, and what weapon to use against targets.

5. Starting step by step missions, where i setup units that can actually fire back. Gradually increasing threat they pose, and learning this way bit by bit the ranges at which enemies can engage me. But fact is, everything is a threat to a helo at those altitudes. 

6. When i feel i have enough confidence in flying/weapon employment i setup my own missions with the assumption that the intel is 100% correct (i setup the enemy myself duh) and then i train to kill them

7. Do the opposite in point 6. So download some missions, or actually try the campaigns that are included in the module, to test my skills and what i already know. 

8. Rarely try multiplayer, since i unfortunately do not have that much time for it.

9. Play Red Alert OST - Hell March when crusing to the AO. I hope it counts as passing time in KA-50?

Thats about it, what i have tried to do, but that was around 1 year ago since i drove the shark, so memories are a bit rusty. But in principle its taking it step by step and supporting yourself with YT tutorial videos and Chucks guide. 

PS: Volks videos are fantastic.

Edited by Mr.Scar

6 hours ago, Taderaz said:

Hello @all,

I recently got the BS2 because i got the Huey (my first helicopter in DCS) in the last sale and have had a lot of fun (and some frustration) with it since then.

Then, after a few test flights with the BS2, I saw a video by Volk (Youtuber who is linked in the previous post) where I think it was about 10 good reasons for the BS2 and was completely flashed.

I looked around and unfortunately the campaigns that you can buy for the module don't seem to get good ratings (Steam). Can helicopters also be used, e.g. do something in Liberation? I could only find older posts about it here and they weren't positive either. How do you pass the time with the KA-50?

Thank you for your comments.

In single player, you can fly around, shoot Vikhr and cannon at stuff.  That's about it until it's fixed.  Datalink doesn't work, wingman doesn't work, rockets don't kill anything other than infantry...  Maybe more stuff to do in multiplayer.

• 3 months later...

Hello,
I have a question about the communication menu: On the ground I can call up the communication menu using the standard key assignment. However, as soon as I have taken off with the KA-50 it no longer works... Do I have to call up the communication menu differently in the air? But I can't imagine.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!