The Rookie Thread

Hello people. I have two questions

What is the minimum height (AGL) for autorotation landing ?

Are there any pre-determined values/guides for the countermeasures programs that are specified to the threat expected or is there something else I could refer to ?

Thanks

'Fear the strike'

Hello people. I have two questions

What is the minimum height (AGL) for autorotation landing ?

Are there any pre-determined values/guides for the countermeasures programs that are specified to the threat expected or is there something else I could refer to ?

Thanks

IIRC user Strongharm posted results of his extensive uv-26 testing. Or Frederf...

Manual has a chart that describes safe altitude/speed combinations for autorotation. Basically if you have enough speed you can make an autorotation landing from low altitude but if you are hovering you need altitude to get enough forward speed for autorotation landing.

• Like 1

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

So I finally after all those years I got the BS now! enjoying it very much so farthumbup.gif

A question about the "Ins Autopilot" commands in control set up, which of them are a "cheat", meaning being not realistic for the BS?

Like in the UH-1 all "Autopilot" commands are "cheating", since you don't have any AP in the UH-1.

Thanx!

• Like 1

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

The KA50 flies by virtue of its autopilot. It was specifically designed to take the workload off the pilot.

Get to know the autopilot channels, learn to work with them instead of fighting them and you'll be on your merry way to become an ace.

It's not easy, but once mastered, a key component in your effictiveness, make sure to read the different tutorials which litter this forum and good luck! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

A question about the "Ins Autopilot" commands in control set up, which of them are a "cheat", meaning being not realistic for the BS?

None of them.

As Looney already implied, the autopilot functions are essential to Ka-50 employment, and all of the functions under "INS Autopilot" are actually part of the Black Shark's autopilot.

The only (slight) cheat would be to map them to your HOTAS because in the real aircraft, the buttons and switches are all located on the right panel. :thumbup:

Screen_140613_005231.thumb.jpg.da66d32db34226a7fc6ec4ea469fa52c.jpg

IIRC user Strongharm posted results of his extensive uv-26 testing. Or Frederf...

Yeah, I thought so too, and found it:

UV-26 programs -- any suggestions?

Specifically post #19 by Frederf in that thread (others may have done equally extensive testing, but that's the one I was sure I'd read before).

Note that Black Shark and its environment have undergone quite a few changes so these values may not be accurate anymore, but I'm not aware of up-to-date tests by anyone else.

• Like 1

Manual has a chart that describes safe altitude/speed combinations for autorotation. Basically if you have enough speed you can make an autorotation landing from low altitude but if you are hovering you need altitude to get enough forward speed for autorotation landing.

A perfect answer!

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
I don't suppose there is any way to mute the electric hum from the batteries?

(I mean, other than turning them off :P)

You can turn down the in cockpit sounds I believe in the options menu so you dont hear the noises so much :thumbup:

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

You can turn down the in cockpit sounds I believe in the options menu so you dont hear the noises so much :thumbup:

Either that or you can try to find the corresponding sound file and edit it or delete it.

Edited by Bucic

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably the most asked noobie question, but, here it goes: Let's say I want to do a level left turn. I try to do it correctly: Roll to the left, then yaw to the left, roll back to level, then yaw back to level. But I'm new, so I mess it up most of the times, and now my chopper is constantly moving diagonally, 1-2 o'clock, no matter what I do, no matter how I correct it with yaw/roll, it always goes to that diagonal flying pattern. Eventually, I do something, and my chopper begins to fly straight on the intended course. It bugs me that I don't know exactly what I did to fix it. Can somebody point me, once and for all, to an article/tutorial/post that explains the exact procedure of turning, and recovering from diagonal flight? I've been flying airplanes for years in sims, but never touched a helicopter until two days ago.

I'm not at work right now, just started the day. Tell you what, post a track of your attempt at level-turning the academic way, and I'll see what you're doing wrong. I'll even redo the track for you. Someone will probably do it before me, even.

On a sidenote, you must remember that:

-yaw and roll inputs should be back to neutral before you reach your desired heading. Otherwise you'll have to compensate the over steering. That usually ends in a not so smooth transition.

-Watch your trim inputs closely. Especially regarding the rudders.

This is probably the most asked noobie question, but, here it goes: Let's say I want to do a level left turn. I try to do it correctly: Roll to the left, then yaw to the left, roll back to level, then yaw back to level. But I'm new, so I mess it up most of the times, and now my chopper is constantly moving diagonally, 1-2 o'clock, no matter what I do, no matter how I correct it with yaw/roll, it always goes to that diagonal flying pattern. Eventually, I do something, and my chopper begins to fly straight on the intended course. It bugs me that I don't know exactly what I did to fix it. Can somebody point me, once and for all, to an article/tutorial/post that explains the exact procedure of turning, and recovering from diagonal flight? I've been flying airplanes for years in sims, but never touched a helicopter until two days ago.

Are you using the trim?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=35444

• Like 1

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

post a track file please

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

I used trim only in level flight, so I naturally skipped that thread, thinking that it's not a trim issue. I will give it a read, thank you!

edit: I read the article, and got some useful info out of it (Like trimming should be done really often), but still, there's no description of how to turn & exit diagonal flight properly. I'm not mashing my stick in anger, I actually managed to get all of my movements to be extremely fluid and stable, but I still would like to learn how actual pilots do it, not by trial and error.

Edited by Trase

I used trim only in level flight, so I naturally skipped that thread, thinking that it's not a trim issue. I will give it a read, thank you!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha not a trim issue hahahahahahahahahahahaha good one :D

In the KA, every issue is a trim issue. The concept of trimming in that chopper is quite different from any other thing that flies. Yes, it would be wise to read about trimming and autopilot in the KA in the first place. Which makes me wonder: are you actually using autopilot channels?

As two of us told you, post a track. We will redo it for you and point your problem accurately.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha not a trim issue hahahahahahahahahahahaha good one :D

In the KA, every issue is a trim issue. The concept of trimming in that chopper is quite different from any other thing that flies. Yes, it would be wise to read about trimming and autopilot in the KA in the first place. Which makes me wonder: are you actually using autopilot channels?

As two of us told you, post a track. We will redo it for you and point your problem accurately.

Yes, I use the autopilot stabilization thing. It's just I'm a total zero in heli flight concepts. Imagine you're teaching a level turn to a guy who just got his first flight sim. I will record a track and post it in a few hours.

Yes, I use the autopilot stabilization thing. It's just I'm a total zero in heli flight concepts. Imagine you're teaching a level turn to a guy who just got his first flight sim. I will record a track and post it in a few hours.

The thing with the trimming is that you basically tell the auto pilot where and how you want to fly. It is not like trimming a conventional aircraft where you set the control surfaces so that the aircrafts attitude is stabilized. In the Blackshark, the trimm/autopilot has a mind of its own - it dynamically(!) excerts some control authority on the flight controls. This is what almost every new Ka-50 pilot had troubles with - to not fight the autopilot, but to understand and anticipate and appreciate what it does for you.

Your problem description could indeed hint, that you unknowingly fight the autopilot. The autopilot wants to stabilize the helo in it's previous attitude (i.e. level flight), while you force the helo into a turn.

• Like 1

It could be the autopilot trying to get you back on your original course but since it only has 20% authority on control input, it can't deflect all the way back to the right.

The biggest issue most new Shark pilots have is understanding the autopilot and trim functionality. It is very different than trim and AP for fixed wing aircraft. You should read this 5 part article http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_426a.html. It clears up a lot.

• Like 1