The Rookie Thread

I've flown the KA-50 before and am familiar with how the trimmer works, however I recently reinstalled DCS and my Warthog to try and get back into the KA-50, and now I've run into a very strange problem with the stick trimmer.

No matter what I do, the trimmer only works on the Rudder axis. When I bring up the Axis view I can clearly see that the rudder axis gets trimmed but nothing else does. I've watched YouTube video after YouTube video to see if it's something that I'm doing wrong but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Did ED break something in a recent patch?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Does Ka-50s flight model simulating translational lift? Because it doesn't seem to me.

Wow, good question!

I wanted to answer "sure it does!" but remembered there's an easy way to test it and now I'm not so sure anymore.

Put the helicopter in a hover, leave the collective alone, pick up airspeed and see if it starts to climb.

From what I can tell, ETL is simulated in Ka-50, but it doesn't show as strongly as in the UH-1H and Mi-8 modules.

Now here's the confusing thing: still without touching the collective, when I bring the Ka-50 back to a hover, it appears to be in an OGE hover at 60 meters without losing too much altitude; the VVI needle is barely below the 0 mark (Ka-50 with 12 Vikhrs, 2*S8KOM pods, 75% fuel, 30° air temp, wind set to 1 m/s at all altitudes).

I might be wrong, but it looks to me as if the hover conditions don't take OGE into effect, but it might as well be that ETL isn't modeled, or not modeled correctly. What's your take on it, gents?

When I do the exact same thing with a UH-1H, as soon as it reaches 20 kts IAS it starts to climb and when slowing down to a near hover, the rate of descent quickly goes to dangerous values and needs to be countered with a bit of additional forward airspeed. As the Huey approaches the ground, it is very clearly cushioned by ground effect and will settle back to the same type of hover from the beginning of the exercise.

Test track from the 1.5 OpenBeta attached (both flights consecutively in the same mission, takes around 10 minutes, maybe a bit less. No head movement coz my TrackIR is broken and the replacement won't arrive until tomorrow.).

Ka-50_UH-1H_Translational_Lift.trk

Yeah it's a little bit confusing it seems to me that there is some influence of translational lift on Ka-50 FM. But its not as strong as it is in Huey.

I wonder if it can be caused by that coaxial rotors of Ka-50 partly eliminate that "back into rotor turbulence" effect (translational lift) by over-forcing air "pillow" which is formed under helo (OGE)... Is there even difference in aerodynamic behavior of coaxial rotors in comparison to normal single rotor helicopters? :smartass:

But this is only my theory and it may be nonsense.

Edited by Strelok

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-My DCS screenshots-

I"m new to the Black Shark, actually I've owned it for a couple of years but only recently started to really get into it. But I discovered today that the wingtip vortex effect, although lessened by the coaxial rotors can get you. Of course I discovered this while trying to drop below a hill while in a hover to avoid an incoming missile. I do remember the manual stating that the coaxial does reduce many of the adverse flight characteristics of a single rotor helicopter so it could be that the effects of translational lift are just not as strong.

Toten

Tiger-Spit-Viggen-Fishbed-Sabre-Dora-Kurfurst-Mustang-Huey-Warthog-Hip-Black Shark Driver (Not necessarily in that order)

MSI 970A-G40 MoBo, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, Patriot Viper 24 GB DDR3, Nvidia Ge Force 1060 3 GB GPU

Correct me if I'm wrong here but from all I know coaxial rotor should manifest stronger translational lift effect compared to conventional helicopters for the same reason it is more susceptible to vortex ring state - higher intensity circulation. To simplify - more condensed downstream with higher velocity.

I"m new to the Black Shark, actually I've owned it for a couple of years but only recently started to really get into it. But I discovered today that the wingtip vortex effect, although lessened by the coaxial rotors can get you. Of course I discovered this while trying to drop below a hill while in a hover to avoid an incoming missile. I do remember the manual stating that the coaxial does reduce many of the adverse flight characteristics of a single rotor helicopter so it could be that the effects of translational lift are just not as strong.

I'm pretty sure you meant vortex ring effect.

PS. Could anyone please PM me the latest manual for DCS BS? It's no longer available on the main site.

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong here but from all I know coaxial rotor should manifest stronger translational lift effect compared to conventional helicopters for the same reason it is more susceptible to vortex ring state - higher intensity circulation. To simplify - more condensed downstream with higher velocity.

I'm pretty sure you meant vortex ring effect.

PS. Could anyone please PM me the latest manual for DCS BS? It's no longer available on the main site.

Yup, vortex ring effect.

Toten

Tiger-Spit-Viggen-Fishbed-Sabre-Dora-Kurfurst-Mustang-Huey-Warthog-Hip-Black Shark Driver (Not necessarily in that order)

MSI 970A-G40 MoBo, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, Patriot Viper 24 GB DDR3, Nvidia Ge Force 1060 3 GB GPU

Page 5-12 of the game manual, top. The section is poorly written and doesn't even include the figure it is referring to.

The most popular chart on the internet is tossed around taken out of context and even in its original form uses some silly conventions.

http://www.dynamicflight.com/aerodynamics/settling_power/

Have anyone ever seen the original Kamov manuals for either '50 or '26?

• 2 months later...

Problem with vikers

I am a noob to Ka 50, but spent many hours playing the old Janes Longbow and some time with the ARMA2 Longbow. I find that after targeting and killing a target with the viker, I am unable to fire another at the next locked target. Is this a glitch or am I not doing something I should?

K-50 Problems

Hi,

I bought Black Shark 2 a few days ago and I'm a newbie.

I can't move the SHKVAL in some Missions and I don't know why. As far as I know do I have to activate it and then I can move it but it doesn't move. What am I doing wrong?:(

Hi and welcome!

First thing to check, in the controller setup menu, look for duplicate button assignments across your controllers for the shkval movement up, down, left , and right.

I know when doing a fresh install, DCS has a habit of assigning the same buttons across multiple controllers which can cause problems.

What controllers are you using?

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If it works okay in some missions, but not in others, you should also check Game Flight Mode vs. full sim mode:

Options -> Gameplay -> Game Flight Mode

Options -> Gameplay -> Game Avionics Mode

It's possible that some missions enforce full sim mode. Under Options -> Controls, you may have to map your controls as Ka-50 Sim or Ka-50 Game according to the above options.

In any case, I would keep these switched off right from the beginning. Especially Game Flight Mode will only teach you bad habits, so it's best not to use it at all. :thumbup:

(Not sure if that's even the problem, but thought I'd point it out in any case :smartass:)

Is this a glitch or am I not doing something I should?

It's applying weapons release restrictions, to improve your chance of a hit. You can override these restrictions with the appropriate toggle switch. Beneath your Master Arm switch is a nonfunctional button in a black "bucket." Immediately beneath that is a row of four toggle switches, and the override is the leftmost switch. Flip it up, and your weapons will fire whether they're out of launch parameters or not. For example, if you lock a target 45* left of you, your gun, mounted on the right side, can't swivel to hit it. With the override switch up, the gun will fire anyway. With the override switch down, you'll have to turn over 45* left, to bring it into the guns gimbal arc. This is how I take out Shilkas at 8.9km, when the Vikhrs normally won't fire at ranges over ... 7km? 7.5? It's been ages since I left that switch down for Vikhr employment.

• 4 weeks later...

Still very much a noob at this module. Even though I've had it 2 years now, I just now finished the datalink tutorial. Which leads me to my question. Forgive me if answered a hundred times already ...

I sent a target via the DL to my wingman and told him to attack DL target. Which he did. But he also attacked other targets as well. Is he supposed to do that?

The datalink is nothing more then a spot on the ground, if you tell your WM to engage your datalink target you're basically telling him to engage a spot on the ground and any targets that happen to be there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

The datalink is nothing more then a spot on the ground, if you tell your WM to engage your datalink target you're basically telling him to engage a spot on the ground and any targets that happen to be there.
Ok. So, it's kind of like in the A-10C when you tell your wingman to attack targets at your SPI.

Guys sorry if this has been answered everywhere but spent and hour or so searching with no luck.

Had to re buy Black Shark 2 as original copy would not bind to DCS World.

Anyway have an issue binding my X52 Pro to Game Settings.

Main issue is mapping the O key to a Joystick button. The O key line is in red and the button mapping does not work although all others do. Cannot see O Key is duplicated anywhere so no idea why in red. Stick mouse not recognized either.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Many thanks