[Preview] Battlefield FX Sound mod

TangoRomeo

If you've already downloaded the initial package, please check out the current release.

DL-Link LoFi Version [22050KHz/VBR .ogg Vorbis] for low spec systems:

http://www.virtual-jabog32.de/index.php?section=downloads&subcat=67&file=1060

DL-Link HiFi Version [44100KHz/192kbps CBR .ogg Vorbis] for high end setups:

http://www.virtual-jabog32.de/index.php?section=downloads&subcat=23&file=1059

"Battlefield FX"

For DCS Black Shark

=====

About

=====

Complete Audio Replacement for DCS Black Shark

=============

Compatibility

=============

Tested with the german DVD Release of DCS Black Shark

C A U T I O N

Not compatible with other soundmods.

===================

Contents/ Changelog

===================

Package content:

224 audio files

Plane.cfg

Sound.cfg

SoundDescr.lua

============

INSTALLATION

============

= W A R N I N G =

Make a backup copy of plane.cfg, sound.cfg and sounddescr.lua in the /sound folder. Do the same with the contents of the sound/effects folder.

Tip: A good method is to .zip or .rar the files.

/= W A R N I N G =

1. Clean out the sound/effects folder, delete everything except the zipped archive of the original files you just created as backup.

2. Unzip BattlefieldFX.zip into your DCS installation directory.

Plane.cfg, Sound.cfg and SoundDescr.lua go into your /sound folder.All audio files must go into your Sound/Effects folder.

3. Delete SampleDurationTable.lua in your /sound folder. This is necessary, so the database can be updated for the correct sample length.

Edited by TangoRomeo
Update
  • Like 2

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz-4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz-ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series -saitek Χ45-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

"MINOAS11"

Pretty Good...Tango!

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

I love the new Ka-50 rotor sound, that's the shizz!

However, at about 1:10, you have some wheeled APCs rolling along, and their wheels are apparently creating a rather squeeky sound. Such a sound isn't characteristic of wheeled military vehicle, but more of a tracked one. I'm unsure if the squeeking is present on vanilla APCs as i've not paid attention. But a bit of a heads-up for you.

By the way, what's the intro/outro music?

Edited by Frakin' Toasters

I love the new Ka-50 rotor sound, that's the shizz!

However, at about 1:10, you have some wheeled APCs rolling along, and their wheels are apparently creating a rather squeeky sound. Such a sound isn't characteristic of wheeled military vehicle, but more of a tracked one. I'm unsure if the squeeking is present on vanilla APCs as i've not paid attention. But a bit of a heads-up for you.

By the way, what's the intro/outro music?

I heard various combat vehicules, IRL, and I can assure you that the wheeled fleet like the LAV25, Striker, LAV III don't squeak/. It's more like city bus sound, with a little more roar, all you hear is the engine being punished. Squeaking comes from heavy tracked vehicules, such a Leo tanks, M113, Bradleys, Abrahms etc... For what I can from my past experience, all you hear from the Leo at a distance, is the terrifying loud and heavy rumble from the massive diesel engine. The grounds actually tremble. The tracks squeaks are heard from a relatively short distance, less than 300m.

Pit

• Like 1

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

New Preview up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJqRiaC-6fY

As always, make sure you click "HQ". :)

The mod is basically complete on the sample side, i basically changed everything - a total of about 225 files. Too bad that most of these you won't hear ingame as it stands. This is because only a fraction get actually utilized by the engine.

Many units share sound files ... why the M163 uses the same sample as the M242 Bushmaster &others, although there is a dedicated "Vulcan" .ogg present in the effects folder, is beyond me. There are dozens of such examples.:huh: Unless someone finds a way to assign sounds to a specific unit, the realism in the audio department leaves alot to be desired, no matter how high the quality of the samples used.

Currently i´m tangling with the sound configuration file and it's variables, to make it sound halfway decent ingame.

Nice mod.

But, to make it short, what I'd not like is:

#Ka-50's Vikhr release Sound.(Too much...or too loud...could not describe)

#Ka-50's flare dispenser Sound. - Too loud...too extremly...you know what I mean?

#A-10's Maingun (Gau-8 ) - Too much reverb.

#A-10's Gau-8 impact sound - Also too much reverb.

(Or is it the DCS sound engine? Whatever...too much reverb:D)

Did you resample the fire (burning) sound? In original it is much too loud. You can hear it from 50 meters above in the pit with running engines...very unrealistic...

Good mod anyway:)

Edit: Where did you find the definition for what vehicle uses what sound? I didn't find any vehicle config or any else config or .lua script that define's what sound is using for what vehicle...!?

For example: The "ZSU-23-4 Shilka.lua" does not contain the info what sound is used. Where the hell it is defined?

Edited by Duke49th

Is this mod supposed to be realistic sound mod or sound mod for better and example louder than in real sounds experience?

If realistic then

• Are these sounds from real vehicles\aircrafts?

For me sounds nice same as Deiveplane.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Thanks all. :)

I should have posted that i have all audio sliders on 100%. Afaik, you can selectively lower the volume for "in-cockpit" sounds - which is highly recommended if you want to simulate what a pilot would hear inside while wearing a helmet - basically hardly anything except comms or onboard AC/Engine noises. I.e. mute all exterior sounds. Also, all sounds are made and optimized for headphones with good frequency response - i have Sony's MDR-V700 hooked up on a Pioneer Amp for playing.

Nice mod.

But, to make it short, what I'd not like is:

#Ka-50's Vikhr release Sound.(Too much...or too loud...could not describe)

See above, that's where the audio sliders come in. It´s also a shared sound, used on several aircraft. Lowering the volume in the config, or the actual sample, would make it sound somewhat distant, or hardly audible, from the launch platform when in exterior view - thinking of movie makers, or people simply enjoying switching to ext. view.

#Ka-50's flare dispenser Sound. - Too loud...too extremly...you know what I mean?

Could lower this in the sample itself. Drawbacks; as above + it's defined as a missile launch in the config. Making changes to the volume here would also affect all missile sounds. Say you'd make a flare launch audible for a 10m bubble, you'd also hear a missile launch only up to this distance. Even worse if using the sound as 3D, because volume gets gradually faded out to 10m. If not using the 3D param, the sound would abruptly cut out at 10m. Both not acceptable imo.

#A-10's Maingun (Gau-8 ) - Too much reverb.

Could fade the cannon end file slightly, but the sound itself is realistic.

Since we cannot officially fly the A-10 in DCS, it's a range sample from an A-10 on gunnery training at Nook Range -

0:20. I have another sample for onboard firing - reserved for DCS A10 :smilewink:

#A-10's Gau-8 impact sound - Also too much reverb.

(Or is it the DCS sound engine? Whatever...too much reverb:D)

On my installation the engine distorts sounds, sometimes adds a chorus like effect, or simply cuts them out at random - but i´ve yet to experience it adding reverb :D.

It's a shared sound, used for other explosions as well - It's actually a large explosion. The specific cannon effect sample appears not to get used by the engine. Imo, in general, explosions in Flightsims should be significantly different from those in first person shooters, because of the distances involved.

Did you resample the fire (burning) sound? In original it is much too loud. You can hear it from 50 meters above in the pit with running engines...very unrealistic...

I used a new sound. Can also be restricted significantly by the config, as it does have a seperate line.

Edit: Where did you find the definition for what vehicle uses what sound? I didn't find any vehicle config or any else config or .lua script that define's what sound is using for what vehicle...!?

It's a question i was asking :) - if i'd knew where these parameters are defined ... :D the result would be a whole new game on the audio side of things. That is, if the engine wouldn't crap out on it, which i think is likely.

regards

TR

Is this mod supposed to be realistic sound mod or sound mod for better and example louder than in real sounds experience?

If realistic then

• Are these sounds from real vehicles\aircrafts?

For me sounds nice same as Deiveplane.

Whenever available and appropriate, sampled from the actual Hardware using quality sources. Keep in mind though that mono audio is not realistic in itself, as alot of information is lost during channel conversion. I will also provide the samples in 22050Hz .ogg VBR format, although i work with higher samplerates and .wav recordings.

There are restrictions as far as the sound engine goes, the same sound is used by multiple vehicles/ weapons/explosions, etc. So if you're asking if in RL it does sound exactly like this, i´d have to say no, no soundmod ever created for LO or BS does.

The A10 Gun Sound needs MUCH more Bass!

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iz5MwPsfyo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ-pdvirHDQ&NR=1

You can hear the Gunsound after the Hitsound...

Here@1:20

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

Don't know, the first clip appears to be a fairly old one, when there was a selector for low (2100rpm) and high (4200rpm) ROF. Afaik since ~ 2003 the ROF is fixed at 3900 rpm.

As a compromise i could pitch it down some cents and add some more to the lower frequencies. :)

See above, that's where the audio sliders come in. Itґs also a shared sound, used on several aircraft. Lowering the volume in the config, or the actual sample, would make it sound somewhat distant, or hardly audible, from the launch platform when in exterior view - thinking of movie makers, or people simply enjoying switching to ext. view.

Could lower this in the sample itself. Drawbacks; as above + it's defined as a missile launch in the config. Making changes to the volume here would also affect all missile sounds. Say you'd make a flare launch audible for a 10m bubble, you'd also hear a missile launch only up to this distance. Even worse if using the sound as 3D, because volume gets gradually faded out to 10m. If not using the 3D param, the sound would abruptly cut out at 10m. Both not acceptable imo.

I didn't mean too loud as too loud because too much volume ;)

Damm...I try in german:

Ich finde die beiden Sounds allgemein zu krass. Sie sind in ihrer Gesamtheit zu "laut", nicht von der Lautstдrke her. Echt schwer zu beschreiben, lol - Halt einfach zuviel. Echt schwer das in Worte zu fassen.

Could fade the cannon end file slightly, but the sound itself is realistic.

Since we cannot officially fly the A-10 in DCS, it's a range sample from an A-10 on gunnery training at Nook Range -

0:20. I have another sample for onboard firing - reserved for DCS A10 :smilewink:

There we have it. The source have too much reverb;)

Try one of the 2 sounds in my attachement :)

Gau8.rar

Edited by Duke49th