[Preview] Battlefield FX Sound mod

TangoRomeo

Thanks Alex.

I think i know the source of the first Sound (Gau 8 near) it's recorded during stationary ground firing tests, with the camera positioned about 5-10m away.

Of course this sounds differs, from what reaches the observers ear watching an A-10 some mile away - doppler effect, energy absorbtion, echoes etc.

Not to take away from the second sample (Gau 8 far), but to me it sounds like some mechanism, like an elevator or something. I prefer mine.

So obviously, among the quality of the recording equipment, distance to the recorded medium plays a major role, in any case, there is no universal realistic sound that would cover all distances, from the AC firing, to the target a mile away.

Edited by TangoRomeo

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried ACE Mod for arma? Among other things it adds better sounds, though they appear to use an 2100 rpm recording for the GAU-8, nevertheless it's nice. Arma's sound engine is really nothing special, but compared to LO (DCS), it's a Ferrari with all extras. Much better platform to create a realistic sound environment, even has speed of sound delay.

LO/BS should create a doppler effect and sound absorption, but the implementation is not very convincing. When i bought DCS BS i was expecting an complete overhaul of the LO engine - while some things are fantastic, like system depth, other areas appear to have received no treatment, this includes audio.

Have you tried ACE Mod for arma? Among other things it adds better sounds, though they appear to use an 2100 rpm recording for the GAU-8, nevertheless it's nice. Arma's sound engine is really nothing special, but compared to LO (DCS), it's a Ferrari with all extras. Much better platform to create a realistic sound environment, even has speed of sound delay.

LO/BS should create a doppler effect and sound absorption, but the implementation is not very convincing. When i bought DCS BS i was expecting an complete overhaul of the LO engine - while some things are fantastic, like system depth, other areas appear to have received no treatment, this includes audio.

not true, its the LO engine but with much more ground detail added, airports,farp,citys,trees...

I dont drive fast, I just fly low:pilotfly:

It's too bad the engine has such issues with sound. I would love to be able to hear the rapid deep thumping that you hear when a chopper is flying high up over-head when you're on in the street. Or one that is some distance away. The sound cuts out sharply when you zoom out away from a whirly bird in DCS

First of all i want to say GOOD WORK Tango.....I must say i like the sounds...but i have too agree with that the missile and flares sound a bit off (to much hollywood)

I found this video of a puma shooting flares...i know its a diffrent bird but i really like this sound

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

It's done. The sad news is that unless someone finds a way to assign specific sounds to individual units/weapons, and ED redoing the sound engine itself, it's a somewhat futile effort trying to get a realistic sound environment ingame.

[DL-Link]

img_id1058.jpg

http://www.virtual-jabog32.de/index.php?section=downloads&subcat=23&file=1058

[Readme]

"Battlefield FX"

For DCS Black Shark

=====

About

=====

Complete Audio Replacement for DCS Black Shark

=============

Compatibility

=============

Tested with the german DVD Release of DCS Black Shark

C A U T I O N

Not compatible with other soundmods.

===================

Contents/ Changelog

===================

Package content:

227 audio files in 22050Hz .ogg VBR format.

Plane.cfg

Sound.cfg

SoundDescr.lua

============

INSTALLATION

============

= W A R N I N G =

Make a backup copy of plane.cfg, sound.cfg and sounddescr.lua in the /sound folder. Do the same with the contents of the sound/effects folder.

Tip: A good method is to .zip or .rar the files.

/= W A R N I N G =

1. Clean out the sound/effects folder, delete everything except the zipped archive of the original files you just created as backup.

2. Unzip BattlefieldFX.zip into your DCS installation directory.

Plane.cfg, Sound.cfg and SoundDescr.lua go into your /sound folder.All audio files must go into your Sound/Effects folder.

3. Delete SampleDurationTable.lua in your /sound folder. This is necessary, so that the database can be updated for the correct sample length.

Good Hunting.

TangoRomeo 2009

Edited by TangoRomeo

thanks!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz-4,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz-ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series -saitek Χ45-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

"MINOAS11"

The Heli sounds fantastic. One thing I noticed though before my wife interupted my joy was that the comms voices appear broken.

When I request rearm or take off I hear this

"50 ........." nothing?

The tower and maintence sound files of course are intact as they were not part of the mod, but i think something has gone wrong with the sample duration file generation.

BTW im using the English version if that helps.

The "SampleDurationTable.lua" that regenerates has no data. Zero byte file? If I restore the original SampleDurationTable.lua all the sounds are intact, but Im guessing the sample length is incorrect for modded sound files?

Edited by Kurtz

Hi Kurtz, that's odd. Just tried to recreate, doing a complete startup with all the AC/Grd and AC/Twr walkie talkie - works perfectly.

Are you by any chance using a russian/modded russian version of DCS?

The fault seems to lie clearly in SampleDurationTable.lua not regenerating correctly on your machine.

This is an excerpt from the readme in the RadioMayak folder:

"After adding new sound files, you will need to delete the file named SampleDurationTable.lua located in the Sounds folder. When starting the next mission, it will generate automaticaly a new version of "SampleDurationTable.lua" with the updated information concerning your new sound file."

You could try using the original .lua, a possible adverse effect could be sounds playing either slower/faster/or not entirely to the end due to wrong time information - you´d probably notice.

Hi Tango

Im using the English version, and yes if I put the original lua back in place the comms return.

I tried deleting the lua several times and each time it regenerates as a "0" byte file.

Could you post a working copy of the modded/regenerated sampledurationtable.lua Perhaps i can cross referance changes to my default.

Also once I delete the lua, on first start the dcs.exe fails win a "bin\stable" error. Next start the game runs, but has the zero byte lua. Should I turn off "protect.exe" to allow the lua regeneration to complete? or could doing this burn one of my activations?

Edited by Kurtz

Ok i got it sorted out. It looks like Vista may be blocking the ini generation in some way. I installed the mod on my server box which runs on XP and the lua generated first time. I copied this lua file back into my Vista install and all looks sweet.

BTW Tango, why didnt you include the "sampledurationtable.lua" in the install pack? or is it hardware specific?

Edited by Kurtz

Cool, downloading and testing :)

Mirror: BattlefieldFX

Tested with the german DVD Release of DCS Black Shark

C A U T I O N

Not compatible with other soundmods.

And also not really compatible with Mods that conatain sound files, like the flare mod.

;)

(Not a big problem, it overerwrites the soundfiles and ModMan recognize it.)

The sounds are very cool! :thumbup:

Just two things....

1. The Engine RPM Warning Sound, sounds like the alarm from a Matchbox Polizeiauto or something like that...very strange, but funny:D

2. And the flare dispenser is not audible when in Pit.(maybe because I didn't use the original sound volume slider settings(everything 100%) in the options menu)

But the whole rest is excellent!:)

Ok i got it sorted out. It looks like Vista may be blocking the ini generation in some way. I installed the mod on my server box which runs on XP and the lua generated first time. I copied this lua file back into my Vista install and all looks sweet.

BTW Tango, why didnt you include the "sampledurationtable.lua" in the install pack? or is it hardware specific?

My first guess would have been some flaw in local versions of DCS itself. Glad you got it sorted out, though it's still odd, since i´m also on Vista.

I did not include the sampledurationtable.lua since i wasn't expecting issues with the file generating. I deleted it many times on my machine, and each time it generated just fine. If more people experience this behaviour, i`ll re-upload the package with a working sampledurationtable.lua included.

Just two things....

1. The Engine RPM Warning Sound, sounds like the alarm from a Matchbox Polizeiauto or something like that...very strange, but funny:D

2. And the flare dispenser is not audible when in Pit.(maybe because I didn't use the original sound volume slider settings(everything 100%) in the options menu)

Hallo Alex,

Would be great if we had different audio warning signals for different systems and flight conditions. Currently it's more like one size fits all.

I lowered the flare ejection sound as per request. You can specify the audible range of this sample by changing this line in the sound.cfg:

Flare { Mode3D = true; Loop = false; Front = true; Inside = 180; Outside = 180; Volume = 1.0; Silence = 1.0; Size = 10; Radius = 100; Group = "Effects"; }

Try a size of 50 for a start.

Btw. I included an alternate set for the GAU-8 firing sound. _GAU8begin, _GAU8loop and _GAU8end are similar to the preview i posted. It's a recording from some distance. There's also an additional cockpit engine soundfile, Alternate_EngineTV3117In, may also be worth checking out.

All these sounds are probably going to work as well in LO LO/FC, as i do not see any substantial changes. Though the config files might require some manual editing.

Hallo Alex,

Would be great if we had different audio warning signals for different systems and flight conditions. Currently it's more like one size fits all.

Yeah.

Also it would nice to add custom sounds to the different vehicle types...as discussed before, in this thread..

I have the bad feeling that it is anywhere in a .dll file(?) (I searched nearby all files manualy, except the .dll files..)

@EvilBivol:

Hey, are you around? Could you tell us how to do this, please? (Or anyone from ED-Team?)

In what file are the soundfiles defined for the vehicles and so on?

:)

I lowered the flare ejection sound as per request. You can specify the audible range of this sample by changing this line in the sound.cfg:

Flare { Mode3D = true; Loop = false; Front = true; Inside = 180; Outside = 180; Volume = 1.0; Silence = 1.0; Size = 10; Radius = 100; Group = "Effects"; }

Try a size of 50 for a start.

Cool, thanks. I thought about changing the volume of the soundfile itself.:doh:

Thanks for hint:)

Edited by Duke49th

Yepp, i searched high and low - expected it to be located in the vehicle's .lua file - but it isn't. It's not only assigning different sounds to different objects, but also having multiple sound sources emitting from a vehicle.

I.e. for a realistic exterior Helicopter sound simulation a conventional Helicopter would need 5 samples allocated;

1. Rotor impulse noise for unloaded state.

2. Rotor high speed impulse noise (as noticed in high speed forward flight)

3. Rotor impulse noise for loaded state/ blade vortex interaction noise (typical blade slapping as it occurs during descent, or level flight, at low to medium airspeed)

4. Engine and gearbox noise

5. Tail Rotor noise

Currently only the KA-50 has sufficent samples assigned. The rest is using 2 samples (1 Engine, 1 Rotor), while the same engine sound is shared by all AI helicopters.

Edited by TangoRomeo
  • Like 1

Ok...now me ;)

This night was the first intensive night with this mod.....

And although I like DIVEPLANES SOUNDMOD very much, I will stay with these new ones.....

Great work! :thumbup:

Greets

S@uDepp

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64