Another Black Shark Pit project

BaD CrC

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to Mnemonic and his fantastic BSVP, I can finaly bring this topic back to life!

I mounted the 6th screen (!) on the left front panel and had a go with BSVP on a secondary PC. It is not connected yet to the main one, so I don't know if this will work, but at least for the moment, I have to say I am pretty happy with Mnemonic software. Real piece of cake to set the gauges (although the clock is missing ;))

SIMG_3665.JPG

I also finished to programm ALL the buttons with the correct keyboard shortcuts. This represents 9 Leo Bodnar USB card with 32 inputs each + collective (10 buttons) and Cougar. Took me three evenings to complete!! I didn't count but I guess this is more or less 300 buttons and switch to program!:doh:

By the way, I gave up on Autohotkey which is really not user friendly enough for me and my poor programming capabilities.

Instead, I found that the latest version of XPadder finaly offers all what a pit builder would need: up to 16 USB devices, support of functions such as "on key pressed" and "on key release" (allowing the use of switches), cycles, latch, unlimited macro per buttons....

It is really easy to use with a nice user friendly interface. Fantastic. ANd it's working great in BS.

Gadroc,

For the front panel, I used Triggerhappy dimensions. I use a 19' tft on the right, a 9' on the center and a 22' on the left.

I notice that there is quite a bit of overhang for the monitor on the left. Any dimensions you would change?

I notice that there is quite a bit of overhang for the monitor on the left. Any dimensions you would change?

Well, I first tried with a 20' TFT. The height was fine, but not the width due to the 16:9 format. It is quite hard nowadays to find 4:3 TFT but maybe you'll be luckier than me.

So I had to go for a 22' which gives me a good width but is a bit too big for the height.

Happy to announce that I successfully performed my first full start up sequence tonight without touching the keyboard or the mouse.

what a great achievement, full startup no keys, hours of fun ahead.

i haven't done one at all yet :D

CRC - I just wanted to say thank you for the update on the XPadder software. Had a look at this yesterday as i wasnt happy with the svmapper software i had been using and was annoyed as to how limited my autohotkey programming was.

Thanks to the £5.99 i spent yesterday, and your advice - i also performed my first "without mouse and keyboard" startup.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - Its a Stinger - Damn.......

My Pit - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42253

CRC - I just wanted to say thank you for the update on the XPadder software. Had a look at this yesterday as i wasnt happy with the svmapper software i had been using and was annoyed as to how limited my autohotkey programming was.

Thanks to the £5.99 i spent yesterday, and your advice - i also performed my first "without mouse and keyboard" startup.

Hi Talisman,

Glad I could help. Yes, forgot to mention that, although it's not free, XPadder is quite cheap when you consider how helpful it is for our pits, and how easy it is to use and program.

Have great flights!

Real piece of cake to set the gauges (although the clock is missing ;))

Wonderful pit m8 -seeing people using the software like this really makes all the work that went into BSVP seem worthwhile :). I noticed you're not yet running the TouchPal EKRAN on your right monitor so I've created a cut-down version of the touchpal.xml file which only draws the EKRAN and uploaded it for you here. You'll need to use the combined TP/BSVP export.lua and also edit these values at the bottom of the touchpal.xml file to position the EKRAN so that it lines up with the hole in your panel:

<Layout>
       <X>1024</X>
       <Y>0</Y>

(To close TouchPal you'll have to use ALT+F4 as the cut-down version has no exit button). Once you've got everything running, is there any chance you could do another video?

Cheers,

DD

P.S. I've already done the graphics for the clock and other remaining gauges so hopefully they'll be included in a BSVP update soon.

EDIT: I've just noticed that you don't seem to have an LWS either so perhaps it would be better to have both the LWS and the EKRAN in that rectangular hole on your right screen, then you could use the "HUD-only" LALT+F1 view on your TripleHead2Go (which should give you a few more fps). I've uploaded another touchpal.xml here which will enable you to do this.

Edited by DickDastardly

Guys, it was a great day today as I finaly took off in my pit and flew a bit around the airport without touching a single keyboard or mouse. It was a great feeling.

SIMG_3680.JPG

OK, not EVERYTHING was working; BSVP was not connected to BS (I have my sim that freezes every 2 seconds when it is connected to the secondary PC), and I kinda forgot to assign the rudder :doh:. But it was enough anyway to fly. My collective works great, I just need some axis curve tweaking.

I played a bit with SHKVAL and fired a few cannon rounds.

@ C6_Hellfrog: BS is running with this multi screen set up (TH2G 3840x1024 + SHKVAL 800x600 and ABRIS 900x1440) at 18 FPS with CPU at stock speed 3.06Ghz and all BS settings to the max including mirrors. It is not great but it is playable. I will probably re activate my overclock to 3.7Ghz and see if I can get those 2 or 3 more FPS that will make a world of difference.

I tried to lower the BS graphic settings, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

@DickDastardly: Thank you so much mate for your help. I will certainly use Touchpal for the EKRAN indeed, but I need to figure out first what's wrong with my configuration when BS is talking to BSVP through the network and why it is hanging that much. Once I got that, I will make another video and let you know.

SIMG_3679.JPG

@ C6_Hellfrog: BS is running with this multi screen set up (TH2G 3840x1024 + SHKVAL 800x600 and ABRIS 900x1440) at 18 FPS with CPU at stock speed 3.06Ghz and all BS settings to the max including mirrors. It is not great but it is playable. I will probably re activate my overclock to 3.7Ghz and see if I can get those 2 or 3 more FPS that will make a world of difference.

I tried to lower the BS graphic settings, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I was doing some testing today with multi-monitor across multiple video cards. I found that having the ABRIS on your secondary video card kills framerate, but having the shkval on secondary video card didn't seem to impact performance at all.

I would recommend a setup where Primary display and ABRIS are both connected to your primary video card. Shkval would then be connected to your secondary video card. I'm getting a solid 30FPS (which I think is artificially limited cause it is a dead lock on 30fps) with the following setup. I was only getting tops of 15fps when the ABRIS was on secondary video card with the exact same MonitorSetup.lua and options.lua. Of course you are running the tripplehead2go which will be a hit, but this may help.

I'm running the following config:

P45 chipset, Q9550 (Overclocked to 3.6ghz), 4Gb Ram (running at approx. 900mhz), PCI-E 275GTX and a PCI 9400GT.

My primary monitor is 1920x1200, and I'm running the ABRIS at 512 x 768 on a 1024x768 monitor both connected to the 275GTX. The shkval is running at 640x480 on the 800x600 monitor connected to the 9400GT.

I have attached how I've got the monitors arranged in windows.

Monitor 1 is primary viewport, Monitor 2 is the ABRIS, and Monitor 3 has the Shkval. Monitor 4 will eventually have the left side gauges if I can figure out how to get BSVP not to mess up my force feedback.

And here is the relative sections of options.lua:

["graphics"] = 
   {
       ["multiMonitorSetup"] = "cockpit",
       ["color"] = "32",
       ["heatBlr"] = 0,
       ["scenes"] = "medium",
       ["water"] = 2,
       ["fullScreen"] = false,
       ["visibRange"] = "Medium",
       ["aspect"] = 2.133333333,
       ["textures"] = 1,
       ["shadows"] = 2,
       ["display_mode"] = 
       {
           ["avi"] = 
           {
               ["bpp"] = 32,
               ["resolution"] = "640x480",
               ["full_screen"] = false,
               ["aspect"] = 1.333333333,
               ["height"] = 480,
               ["width"] = 640,
           }, -- end of ["avi"]
       }, -- end of ["display_mode"]
       ["effects"] = 3,
       ["lights"] = 2,
       ["haze"] = 1,
       ["terrPrld"] = "20",
       ["height"] = 1200,
       ["resolution"] = "1920x1200",
       ["civTraffic"] = 0,
       ["width"] = 2560,
   }, -- end of ["graphics"]

Here is my Cockpit.lua

Viewports =
{
    Center =
    {
         x = 0;
         y = 0;
         width = 1920;
         height = 1200;
         viewDx = 0;
         viewDy = 0;
         aspect = 1.6;
    }
}

Shkval =
{
   x = 1920;
   y = 788;
   width = 640;
   height = 480;
}

ABRIS =
{
   x = 1920;
   y = 20;
   width = 512;
   height = 728;
}

WindowsArrangement.png.c2a9552c31ddd6ad13fcb2d3c9ee37cc.png

Edited by Gadroc

BSVP was not connected to BS (I have my sim that freezes every 2 seconds when it is connected to the secondary PC)...BS is running with this multi screen set up (TH2G 3840x1024 + SHKVAL 800x600 and ABRIS 900x1440) at 18 FPS with CPU at stock speed 3.06Ghz and all BS settings to the max including mirrors...I tried to lower the BS graphic settings, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

@DickDastardly: Thank you so much mate for your help. I will certainly use Touchpal for the EKRAN indeed, but I need to figure out first what's wrong with my configuration when BS is talking to BSVP through the network and why it is hanging that much. Once I got that, I will make another video and let you know.

It's really strange that you don't see fps improvements when lowering graphics settings -stuff like disabling mirrors, setting view distance to medium and water to 0 helps quite a bit on my rig.

It might be worth trying BSVP on your second PC whilst only running a single screen on your main PC to see if you still get the freezes. If the problem remains then that would suggest you have some kind of network/firewall/anti-virus issue which is causing the freezes, if it runs okay with this setup then that would suggest the freezes are due to graphical overload and you could then try running the multi-monitor configuration with lower res etc.

Cheers,

DD

EDIT: Cross-posted with Gadroc - try his suggestions first. Also, I noticed you're not running BSVP fullscreen. If you do so then you could get rid of the blue windows header and task bar at the top and bottom of your left screen (although you may have to tweak your gauge positioning slightly as a result).

Edited by DickDastardly

Doh! Thanks for catching my typos there Dastardly!

If anyone read my post about ABRIS/Shkval I had it backwards a few times. Mainly cause I find the results backwards. I would expect 3d tv camera would perform worse on secondary card.

Anyways always put your Shkval on secondary video card not the ABRIS. I have fixed my earlier post to be consistent throughout.

Wow that all good piece of info here. Thanks guys. I am at my work for the moment, but I will try all this this evening and let you know. I am pretty sure indeed that my ABRIS is on my secondary video card. Amazing that a simple swap can double your FPS. Thanks Gadroc.

DickDastardly. I will make another try and disabling antivirus and firewall. I suspect them too. For the full screen, BSVP doesn't seem to like it when the monitor is in portrait mode.

Guys,

OK, first, great success with BSVP on secondary computer once Kaspersky internet security turned off on primary PC. Gauges running smoothly and no more hanging with BS. Absolutely delighted!

I checked and I saw that the ABRIS monitor was already connected on the primary video card. So no fps improvement to expect. I stil don't get why my fps does not change no matter what graphic settings I am using. I tried everything low and I get the same fps than when everyting is maxed out.(i.e 18 fps according to FRAPS)

Video on the way.

Guys,

OK, first, great success with BSVP on secondary computer once Kaspersky internet security turned off on primary PC. Gauges running smoothly and no more hanging with BS. Absolutely delighted!

I checked and I saw that the ABRIS monitor was already connected on the primary video card. So no fps improvement to expect. I stil don't get why my fps does not change no matter what graphic settings I am using. I tried everything low and I get the same fps than when everyting is maxed out.(i.e 18 fps according to FRAPS)

Video on the way.

Bummer. I was hoping that may have been your issue. It does answer my question for me about whether I'm going spend the money on a th2go setup for my KA-50 pit. I think I'm better off trying to find a cheap 40" + 1080p tv for a monitor it would keep my FPS where it is today.

Video on the way.

Glad to hear you got BSVP running okay :). With regard to fps, could it be that fraps is reporting them incorrectly, perhaps as a result of being confused by the large number of monitors? Does the in-game fps counter (RCTRL+PAUSE) show any difference when you turn down graphical settings or use the "HUD-only" (ALT+F1) view on your TH2G?

I think I'm better off trying to find a cheap 40" + 1080p tv for a monitor it would keep my FPS where it is today.

If you don't mind sacrificing some resolution, you could buy a second hand XGA projector instead and save money, double your screen size and improve your fps.

Cheers,

DD

If you don't mind sacrificing some resolution, you could buy a second hand XGA projector instead and save money, double your screen size and improve your fps.

Cheers,

DD

I'll have to keep an eye on e-bay. Currently trawling for parts as I'm begging the long trek to a companion pit to the touch screen one. Bad CRC and Trigger Happy's work just looks to damn fun.