3D modeling in general

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a shot of the wire in the animation :), smoothed poly count is a couple of hundred k. High res hehe.

Extruding from a plane or a box doesn't really matter which in the end. IMO there's no such thing as "box" modelling or "plane" modelling - it's all polygon modelling at the end of the day :).

Plane and box modeling are very similar yes, however lately a 3rd form of modeling is becoming quite popular, and that is freeform modeling. Free form is used best in applications like zbrush and mudbox. However 3dmax just introduced some basic freeform modeling features to version 2010. Generally though freeform is ideally suited for making natural and organic shapes rather than the (usually) hard and defined edges of human engineering. So if you interested in more of a mechanical modeling stick with box and planar.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I suppose I could post this.

T-62M

grunge2.thumb.jpg.593ee4aee1366d1e105c9f0186413e55.jpg

It essentially was my first object that I created and went the whole way with UVW unwrapping and texturing. So it is far from perfect. It was originally created as part of my senior design project with intent to be used for DCS, but its missing a few things as I ran out of time for the school deadline. I recently went back and made a ton of fixes and improvements to the texture and the baked in AO pass.

If Eagle still wants it let me know. The way I see it there are 2 options for what to do with the model. A. Do a complete re-texture/optimization/add new missing features (It doesn't have a Dshkm) so it all fits on a 2048x2048. Or B. Keep the main model as is, but put anything new onto a small secondary texture. The majority of the detail in the texture was created in Adobe Illustrator so its not exactly a ton of work to adjust the previous file to fit a new one (yay for vector graphics), but the grunge map and paint job were all done in Photoshop.

In its current condition it has 20,395 tris.

Wireframe

wireframe.thumb.jpg.cb23c065fc9c0e4bf0ab603c981fb55b.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tail section so far..

004tkh.th.jpg

and the front

005ib.th.jpg

you'll see the tail section is differant..

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 1 month later...

having a go at the Bucc.... yeah don't laugh.

001rn.th.jpg

002bvr.th.jpg

003vft.th.jpg

004qb.th.jpg

005ba.th.jpg

probaly not gonna be a finnished like the others...

too many curves on this one.... gonna try the Jag.

• Like 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

How do you do Canopys?

Creating a simple box with subdivisions at least 3x3x3 and applying a turbosmooth can give decent results. Depending on the length and the shape needed add more subdivisions. Two iterations on the turbosmooth should be plenty to get a smooth looking shape out of it. But you may want to go back in and optimize the model some more by removing unneeded edge loops.

Ok my 2 months vacation is over now,so I'm back to duty.I think I got the canopy shape right now,C&C's are most welcome:

clay26.jpg

clay25.jpg

clay24.jpg

clay23.jpg

Not completed but so massive.Some people look at the Foxbat as an ugly thing,but for me it's the jet fighter by excellence...

clay27.jpg

Remaining some details here and there,then my first 3D model will be completed.Have to study again,this time texturing!

• Like 1

@ G - Thaks will try out something later this month...

heres the engine outlet

006ig.th.jpg

Do you think the MoD would give me the propa blueprints for the Jag???

EDIT: That is looking beautiful.

Edited by joey45
  • Like 1

Hi dawestsides,

could you post some wires, so we can also learn something?

Keep up the good work.

PS: and also which parts did you do separately?

Thx

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Thanks asparagin.

Here you are!

You can guess which parts have been done separately:wings,control surfaces,nose,canopy glass,...

Untitled24.jpg

Untitled23.jpg

As you can see the polycount is already very high,mainly because of the exhaust nozzles details,but as this is my first model,I'm not bothering myself with it.Next model will be cleaner I hope.

Edited by dawestsides

I really like going back to older/horrible/unoptimized models and reworking them. You'd be surprised how much fun and challenging it is to perfect something like that. A friend of mine even gave me a horrible made model of his to see what all I could do with it. He built it on the school of thought of turbosmooth, so his base geometry has horrible to begin with and the turbosmoothed geometry was overkill. Here is a sample of my reworking the model. Mine is on the left, his is on the right. My poly count was at least 1/4 of what he had.

wheel.jpg