Lockons Successor

Just a couple of ideas regarding Lockons successors engine. I was thinking of a merging between several other sim types. This could be accomplished by a number of ways to achieve the same goal. One way is to create an extra couple of departments to utilise the new engine in developing sims for other genres that are compatible with each other. So the main department would be the primarily aircraft to be completed the other departments might consist of Helicopters(using the Ka50 as a template), tanks, Ships and possibly even FPS or the ability to incorporate such genres. Ships or Tanks would be a good start. The other way is to create a network compatibility between the successor and other sims from other companies that are at a standard high enough to be considered worthwhile.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

The trouble is the more things you have to simulate either the development time goes through the roof or short cuts are taken on. I'd rather see a detailed sim containing a few planes with AI tanks, ships etc than a watered down 'jack of all trades' sim. I don't know what publisher would want to fund that kind of lengthy development either as they can make more money developing half a dozen console games in the time it would take to create a complete electronic battlefield. Maybe I'm being pessimistic or maybe just realistic but I'm fed up of seeing publishers (not developers) push products out the door that are not ready.

Do some of you know the old ms-dos game "Strike Commander" from Origin? :D

IMHO lock-on2 needs some sort of very well written dynamic campaign combined with a good story. Don't get me wrong, I dont mean to turn this very well written piece of software into an arcade game.

Just look at Silent Hunter 3: this game is appealing to both subsim-newbs like me and die-hard sims and includes a very well written campaign mode. In one campaign mission you get points as reward and you can spend them on better equipment, torpedos or even a shiny new submarine :) Strike Commander had this feature years ago (although the story was linear and was pretty arcadish). In my imagination I see a game where you start as little mercernary with a old and rusty mig-21 or something like that and through jobs you can buy better weapons, flyables and so on (with still realistic flightmodels etc.).

EDIT:

Or anybody remembers Apache Longbow from Digital Integration? It had static missions, but the battlefield was always *full* with plenty of other ground units, helos and jets completing their own missions. I remember a mission where you had to laser-designate a bridge to guide a GBU from an f-16 :)

Damn I miss these games ;)

IMHO a successfull game has to be appealing for both die-hard sims and casual-simmers.

The trouble is the more things you have to simulate either the development time goes through the roof or short cuts are taken on. I'd rather see a detailed sim containing a few planes with AI tanks, ships etc than a watered down 'jack of all trades' sim. I don't know what publisher would want to fund that kind of lengthy development either as they can make more money developing half a dozen console games in the time it would take to create a complete electronic battlefield. Maybe I'm being pessimistic or maybe just realistic but I'm fed up of seeing publishers (not developers) push products out the door that are not ready.

I'm talking about different sims with a common multiplayer code either created by the developer or by other companies but still to the same standard. eg if you had the russian company that makes a tank sim(T80 or T72) and its code for MP shares the same as the successor along with the terrain then you would have what I'm talking about. The days of pushing unready products have ended.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]