Motion sickness, sort of.

fox_111

Ever noticed, after playing Black Shark, when you close the game to actually get some work done, you get this little feeling of yawing and banking?

I do all the time after playing. I can barely see my screen turn like the helicopter do. It get away after a short while, but still, it's the first game I play that do that to me.

Good thing I don't get sea sick or have any motion sickness.

I hope that, when I get my trackIR, it will be resolved.

Anyone in the same boat/helicopter?

:joystick:

not in games, but after watching an action film with lots of car chases, i feel like im in the film still when i leave the cinema and get back into my car hehe.

its probably something to do with the eye being tricked into motion but the inner ear isnt fooled. thats why i cant read a book in a car as a passenger, i get car sick. the eyes see no motion but the ears sense it. brain gets confused, thinks there is something wrong and defaults to throwing up to rid the 'germ'.

hardware: Alienware Area-51 7500 - 2x 8800 GTX 768 MB SLI - 4GB RAM - Vista 64-bit - Saitek X52 Pro - TrackIR 5 Pro

I get a bit of a headache and i think this comes from my headphones and the in cockpit helicopter engine sound.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

@TangoRomeo

Imo that's because you're only watching it without any clue's what was pressed. Anyway I believe that it's a lot different when you're actually playing it since you have feel the effects of your input. (I know I'm pretty bad at explaining ^^).

I just bought Cachya head tracker over the weekend (can't afford TrackIR ATM) and tried it out. It works very well, but it's got about a half-second delay.

Between that delay, my inexperience with head trackers, and getting used to the head motions, by the end of a two hour session I was feeling pretty motion sick. I think I was focusing too much on the HMS while moving the heli around and moving my head.

Does TrackIR have a delay, or is it instant?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does TrackIR have a delay, or is it instant?

Everything that is processed digital has delay, there is always some lag although TrackIR seems to be the one that has the least lag of all current systems, mostly due to it's high frame rate.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Ever noticed, after playing Black Shark, when you close the game to actually get some work done, you get this little feeling of yawing and banking?

I do all the time after playing. I can barely see my screen turn like the helicopter do. It get away after a short while, but still, it's the first game I play that do that to me.

Good thing I don't get sea sick or have any motion sickness.

I hope that, when I get my trackIR, it will be resolved.

Anyone in the same boat/helicopter?

:joystick:

TIR will give you a new weird habit. Every time i watch a sim video i turn my head to see around the cockpit....

Everything that is processed digital has delay, there is always some lag although TrackIR seems to be the one that has the least lag of all current systems, mostly due to it's high frame rate.

i just got the trackir 5 and it has no human noticeable delay on my system.

i dont think its fair to say 'everything that is processed digital has delay' - though technically true it sounds a bit like scare mongering :thumbup: sure it might take some devices 10 ms to process but human reaction time is no where near that discrete. thats like those die-hards fps fans wrongly thinking that a cordless mouse is better than a blue tooth one.

i would argue that even some forms of analog of 'latency'. radio communications for example are not instant.

even the poor human brain which i dont think classifies as digital has latency. take the example of driving a car. the latency involved in seeing a pedestrian step out onto the road to the time you press your foot on the brake. this takes time and is subject to other effects such as driving whilst drunk. these reactions take considerably longer than 10 ms. :thumbup:

hardware: Alienware Area-51 7500 - 2x 8800 GTX 768 MB SLI - 4GB RAM - Vista 64-bit - Saitek X52 Pro - TrackIR 5 Pro