Mapping Helmet Tracking to POV Hat or Joystick Axis

drliebs

Is it possible to map the helmet tracking to the joystick axis or pov. Taking my hands off of the stick to use the mouse is very cumbersome. Ideally I would like to be able to use a modifier key on the joystick or switch to turn on helmet targeting and that would activate joystick axis to control it, or the hat switch. Can it be done?

You might be able to do this with the programming software that your stick uses. YMMV though, depending on the stick. I'm trying to recall if the CH and Saitek software let you do this, but I can't remember.

Oh yeah, IB4 "get TrackIR". :D TrackIR or some other head-tracking hardware is really what you want to shoot for, to be perfectly honest. If I had to choose between a HOTAS and no TrackIR and a cheapy joystick w/TrackIR, there'd be no contest...TrackIR all the way!

I may not be understanding it completely, but on my Saitek X45 the first hat switch defaults to the view keys. One key (the red 'fire' button) triggers the HMS. I find the movement speed depends partly on the current zoom level of the view. I still find this a bit coarse and cumbersome, so I use the 'pinky' joystick button as a 'shift' and have added the 'normal keyboard speed' and 'slow keyboard speed' to the same joystick hat's left and right to 'slow it down'. On the X45 (and I suspect the X52) the thumb 'mouse' can be set up as a mouse 'emulator', but suffice it to say it's far less precise than using the mouse. There are options to set joystick axes to view in the config, but they are 'absolute', so if the joystick snaps to center, so does the view. In other words, it's not 'slewable'.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if anything I said was helpful, just bouncing ideas off my head. I've certainly spent no small amount of time shoehorning as much as I can into my HOTAS combo, certainly viewing modes among them.

You could try using the mouse with your left hand until you get your trackIR. Of course that might be easier for me to say since I'm ambidextrous.

It takes about two weeks to learn to use the mouse reasonably accurately with the other hand. For FPS games, though, would be a bit longer. :music_whistling: