Is Multiplayer stability & performance fixed in 1.1?

Just moved this copied this question from "1.1 README" thread to here in hopes of getting some kind of answer. The deafening silence doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the potential answer though ;-)

Anybody? So, its been an entire week and still no answer to my question about multiplayer? I sincerely hope that SOMETHING has been done to fix multiplayer LAN (and I'm not talking about cutzie little who-killed-who screens and BS like that). Multiplayer stabilility (no crashing) and performance (no warping and massive lag) should have been a priority since day one; fixing what is broken before adding more fluff, right? If anyone has information that will answer my initial questions, please, let me know. The ONE thing that WILL prevent me from buying this add-on is if multiplayer is still buggy and a doggy performer (esp. LAN).

Thanks,

-spearsd

Yes, I'd also like to have an answer to this question.

I've never received a clear answer on the status of multiplayer (esp LAN) CTD and performance issues (warping, etc). I know there's new nifty features and enhancements, but is there actually improvements in the multiplayer code reliability and performance? Applicable bug-fixes? :?:

Thanks,

-spearsd

Well, I'll let someone who actually knows what has or has not been specifically fixed answer your question. But, I can speak for many within my group and circle of friends that LOMAC has been stable in the MP environment. Granted, we haven't flown it in a while but we have flown multiple missions in both a LAN and Internet environment. The one bug that occassionally occurred was a tricky memory error. I can't remember the specifics but it did not happen very often. I'm curious, when flying in the LAN environment were you choosing the LAN option or Internet. The reason I ask is that the Internet option worked very well, even while flying in a LAN environment. Since we helped beta test LOMAC we quickly learned that the LAN option was not suitable with the notorious "nforce2" chipset problems. The LAN option had the warping problems and the main show stopper was the FPS dropping to 2. The FPS problem never went away. True, building missions for a LAN environment is easier than building ones for Internet, but LAN just never worked for us. Anyway, perhaps this didn't help but I'm curious which option you used when setting up a LAN game.

Specs: AMD FX-60, ASUS A8N-E, 2 GB's Corsair PC 3200 DDR, Win XP SP2, ATI X1900 XTX

Griff,

Thank you for your reply; you did answer part of my question regarding stability, and for that I thank you :-) I've been hoping since day one they'd fix LAN play performance, but no such luck so far. I'm not using NF2 chipset, but I still see a massive hit in FPS during LAN games, and even some hit during Internet games when compared to single player... even when its 1-on-1 and there is virtually no AI and very limited physics calculations. In my opinion, the multiplayer code seems VERY inefficient and takes away from the overall simulation experience (warping, reduced FPS, and the occasional strange bugs encountered). After tweaking settings in some config files related to client update intervals and such, I was able to achieve slightly better FPS performance and less warping (I have a thread somewhere over at UBI describing the changes), but I'm still quite surprised this hasn't been successfully addressed by ED since day one.

In any case, Griff, I thank you again for taking the time to reply :-)

-spearsd

Well, I'll let someone who actually knows what has or has not been specifically fixed answer your question. But, I can speak for many within my group and circle of friends that LOMAC has been stable in the MP environment. Granted, we haven't flown it in a while but we have flown multiple missions in both a LAN and Internet environment. The one bug that occassionally occurred was a tricky memory error. I can't remember the specifics but it did not happen very often. I'm curious, when flying in the LAN environment were you choosing the LAN option or Internet. The reason I ask is that the Internet option worked very well, even while flying in a LAN environment. Since we helped beta test LOMAC we quickly learned that the LAN option was not suitable with the notorious "nforce2" chipset problems. The LAN option had the warping problems and the main show stopper was the FPS dropping to 2. The FPS problem never went away. True, building missions for a LAN environment is easier than building ones for Internet, but LAN just never worked for us. Anyway, perhaps this didn't help but I'm curious which option you used when setting up a LAN game.