Vintage Simulators

Roche

Hello Everyone,,. since I cannot play my BS,.. I am reminding my self of how easy was back when I started playing air simulators...

My original first of my life simulator was A-10, I dont remember it's official name but it was 1 green pixel killing another grey pixel which was a tank.. no it wasnt really like that but I remember I ran it on my WIndows 3.1 and it came in 3.5" floppy disk, the RWS was really loud I drived my Mom nuts.:joystick:

The I stoped playing for some years until I got a new Gateway and found out Janes ATF! the greatest game of my life, was amazing.. :pilotfly:I still havn't found the original intro video on you tube, can't believe no one has it, do you remember? it was a C-17 scorted by 2 eufighters or saab gripens thought a valley and they get jumped by 2 MIG 29.. oooh great intro and not to mention the M1 Abrams coming out of the book and the apache firing inthe desk.. great. I hated it for not showing the bombs and missiles on the plane, but you could play with every single aircraft in there even thought it was not so realistic.

There where other ones.. AH 64 Logbow!! it marked my life and got me to love Helos

then I played F-15E Loved that one, got to buy my first Joystick beacuse you couldn;t play without it

What about USAF!! all vintaege Jane's great titles,, thank god for ED and DCS, :thumbup:

how about your?

Edited by Roche
edit pc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first major sim experience was F-117 Sealth (I think it was microsprose) . I played it on my mom's black and white laptop at a very choppy rate, but didn't know it could be any better so dealt with it.

Then we got a new computer and it ran like a dream AND with COLOURS! After that I went on to fly Strike Commander, flight sim 95, DID Apache/Hind, Janes F15, Apache Longbow 2, USAF and EF 2000... then in 2002 I got my first mac and my flight sim days ended. :( :( :(

I caught wind of Warbirds in 2006 (available for mac and PC) so downloaded that and enjoyed the online community there for awhile.

I finally got an INTEL mac in October and with bootcamp I'm catching up on LOMAC, Falcon AF and now Black Shark.

I've been checking out some of those old sims I use to play on youtube now and it's unbelievable the before and after.

First one for me... MS Flight Simulator 1.x (I think it was 1.0), on an IBM PC (PC2 motherboard) chipped out to the full 256K of RAM, plus the AST Six Pack card to get the RAM all the way up to the whopping maximum of 640 K. I had a CGA monitor for color apps and a (green) monochrome display for text apps (because the text was too hard to read on the color monitor). PC DOS 1.1 (CPM 86 was a better OS, but the IBM / MS juggernaut was not to be denied). I bought it as a barebones unit, and decided to put 2 of the 1/2 height floppy drives (5.25 floppies back then) instead of the standard full height drives, so that I could add a hard drive in to the right hand drive bay later when the prices weren't quite as astronomical. As I recall, I was using a Kraft joystick (basically a thin stick about half the length of a new wooden pencil, with a fire button on top). The base had 2 slider potentiometers for trimming the X and Y axis calibrations, and IIRC another button. :joystick:

Later on, with the jump to a 386 and then a 486, Falcon 3.0 and the Mig-29 add-on. F-15 Strike Eagle was fun as well. :pilotfly:

I bought/installed Falcon 4.0, but that was when I was hard at getting the ISP business going, so I didn't really have to time to put into it.

There were some others along the way, but the above are what stand out in my mind the most.

There have been some dry spells along the way, but man have we got it good!!!

Of course, I'm still waiting for my flying car, dammit... :mad:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I think there's definetely somthing that I would like to see on LO that onloy USAF had, it was I don't know more inmersive, the dialogs where longer and more human even thought they where recorded by some 15th years old.. "great job!".. "SIerra Hotel"! I mena those kind of things.. I loved the USAF campaign on desert storm.. and being able to fly with Night vision.. that is something missing in LO FC..

Haa!! I found it... watch it it was my favorite..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think this one was a first flight sim I ever play — Chuck Yeager's Air Combat.

I started out on F19 (Either 1989 or 1990). But Chuck Yeager's Air Combat was the one that taught me how to dogfight. That was the first real simulator that I played.

The greats to me was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Janes Longbow, Janes F18, DID EF2000, DID F22, EAW, IL2 and of course LOMAC.

Haven't played Flaming Cliffs, Black Shark or Falcon 4 yet. :mad:

First one for me... MS Flight Simulator 1.x .....As I recall, I was using a Kraft joystick (basically a thin stick about half the length of a new wooden pencil, with a fire button on top). The base had 2 slider potentiometers for trimming the X and Y axis calibrations, and IIRC another button.

My parents still have a working Apple II with a working copy of the original Flight Simulator on a big 5 1/4" floppy... and a working Kraft joystick. :) That thing was great. It wasn't spring-loaded, so it always stayed in whatever position you left it.

Since then, I've played the following: MSFS 4.0, Fly! II, Falcon MC (Mac version of Falcon), MS Combat Flight Simulator (1/2/3), MiG-29 Fulcrum, F-16 Multirole Fighter, Apache Longbow, MiG Alley, IL-2 (original, Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, 1946), MS FS2004, X-Plane 8, LO:MAC, MS FS X, and now Black Shark.

Then of course there's a lot of aviation and space combat games thrown in too: Choplifter, Tigerheli, Top Gun, Freespace 2 (still the best damn space sim EVER), X-Wing, Beyond the Red Line, and Comanche 4.

Holy crap. I just looked back at that list. Man, have I played a lot of flight sims over the years! I'd never written them all down in one place before. I still suck at them all though....

Edited by wickedpenguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I recall seeing this running once many years ago :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54F4MI6uZtc and

after seeing something like this, it makes me apprieciate what we have today :thumbup:

Oh, and this was one of my first ever flight sims :)

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/reviews/view.php%3Fid%3D398

Edited by Mustang

Remember DI's Tornado? Back in 1993 that must have been the best sim about, even had quite a good mission editor. DI's Hind was awesome too.

Yep, both utterly awesome sims for their day :thumbup:

DI Hind

DI Tornado

and

when i got my first 486 SLC33 based PC back in 1994 Tornado was the first flight sim i played on it, in MS DOS 6.22....before that i had this on my Amiga 1200, and what a difference it was to see it on the PC, in terms of visual quality and FPS it was amazing!

Edited by Mustang

F-15 Strike Eagle by Microprose (1985):

Fighter Piot by Digital Integration (1984):

Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer (1987): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyu0w1fzyIc

Yep, I'm old lol!

Oh gosh....i forgot about F-15 Strike Eagle! i had that too on my ZX Spectrum 48k on Cassette :D

lol those crazy zig zag lines coming off the enemy fighters when you shoot them, and the grid terrain.....

Oh, and does anyone remember Fighter Bomber?

http://hol.abime.net/525

Heres another.....a flight sim that tried to model 40 or so jets in one sim

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/box.php%3Fid%3D92%26type%3D01

we were very fickle in those days, could you imagine trying to model that many jets and get away with it?

Today we would have the barrage of "omg how can you even imagine to model that many jets without precise FM/avionics data etc etc" :D

• 3 weeks later...