The Ikea pit (sort of)

talisman

Ohh any ideas - what i would love to to is export the data and use different gauges - like the 737? If you get my meaning.

Basically i would love to have the knowledge to create something like BSVP and change the gauges to make a more modern feel to the shark. Basically the same info but a little updated.

Your pit is awesome! I happen to like your MFD's, but agree that having some EFIS style gauges in there would look better.

If you're serious about getting into graphics programming to do something similar to BSVP, I can suggest several paths for you. First, head over to gamedev.net to start gaining the knowledge. Second, you have several options on where to start. You could use a managed language like VB.net or C# with a graphics library like XNA framework, SlimDX, or even WPF. Another managed language, or so-called scripting language, with a common graphics library is Python. Your other option is to start at a lower level in an unmanaged environment with the C++ language. A little steeper learning curve is involved, but with free libraries such as SDL, Ogre3D, Unity (the list goes on and on) to choose from, it takes a lot of the pain away and partially bridges the gap IMO. The last option would be to work at the lowest practical level, and use the OpenGL or Direct3D libraries directly to create your own simple graphics engine. There are also many high level networking libraries available to code your communication with export.lua.

Get yourself Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition, C# Express, or Python to start fooling around if you haven't already.

Well... let's back up a bit. What functions are you controlling with those button rings (The TM Cougar MFDs)?

The TouchPal route could work nicely for you. Check this out for a design tool: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=866702&postcount=212

Even though TouchPal is primarily aimed at folks using a Touch Screen, you could use it since it keeps the button display/status updated with what is in the sim's display. You could use your button ring buttons as inputs, and the TouchPal displayed items would stay synchronized.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 1 month later...

@ Talisman :

an other way is to develop gauges with GaugeComposer, a tool developped for FS and adapted for LockOn by people from a french squadron (3rdWing). One member will try that one soon with a BS cockpit.

Then you can interface it with SIOC or IOCP (I'm not totally sure... (I forgot the exact response... I have just asked again to confirm that point and will post later to confirm / correct)....

And at the age of LO (before FC2) a specific interface was developped to work on network and balance the CPU load, it was the utility called LOSIOCServer, because people who developped it managed lua and SIOC because they builded pits based on those cards who use this langage, and wanted to network things to limit CPU overload and FPS drops... It worked very fine....

So : it still has not been done completely for BS , but could be done in theory. Maybe some developement to do, but not sure and don't know how much...

Nevertheless, those guys who developped that stuff wil certainly upgrade it for DCS A10, and then, it will probably be usable for BS... we still have to wait for A10 delivery and time to update those softs for developpers... probably not before 2011... at least...

I have to confirm some points before saying too much false things...

I'll post later to confirm...

but that point is big point of hope in my opinion for BS pitbuilders...

EDIT

in fact the idea to use Gaugecomposer was stopped by the user , he returned to BSVP.

the way to extract data from LO with gaugecomposer was different (lua syntax different between LO and DCS series).

Idea is good but need a complete rewriting of the softs... Still not managed for the current time.

Conclusion : just an idea, need to wait if A10C release impulse some motivation for a new project with DCS lua export syntax... maybe common with BS... still hypothetic...