Render Spikes on FPS

LupinYonder

Hi all, have been playing BS for a while now and am still trying to find a happy compromise between FPS and GFX.

While playing MP especially over cites I notice a large spike in the Render amount by using CTRL+Pause/Break to monitor performance. These spikes in render up to 160 make my fps crawl down to 2 or three until the render "chunk" clears and then im back up to a low but playble 20-28 fps.

This happens when changeing direction and using the camera but also happens at random times aswell.

Is there a way of minimising the effect these render chunks ( as i call them ) are having on my FPS or what GFX setting in game or say in ATI Catayist controll center will give me the best performance increase ?

Here are my ATI CCC settings for DCS

and my ATI CCC settings

4X X8-Sampels Anti Aliasing

2X Anisotropic Filtering

Disabled Standard Catalyist AI

Mipmap Detail lvl = Quality

Wait for vertical refresh On

Adaptive Anti Aliasing - Performance

Triple Buffering On

and my system config

attachment.php?attachmentid=26953&d=1240861833

Have you tried checking if the problem goes away if you put your graphics card on stock settings? I'm not worried about the core clock so much but such stutters could in theory be caused by temporary overheating of the memory.

The other two I would try without is V-sync and triple-buffering. The former seems to overall make my machine have more severe min-FPS than without it (but I need it to reduce tearing, so I'm stuck with it myself), and triple-buffering might in funny circumstances to strange stuff.

Both of those are on the level of guesses though.

When you overclocked the graphics card, did you maintain the linking on core and memory or did you unlink them? If the latter, there might be a weird bottleneck somewhere, but I kind of doubt that that specifically would cause something as drastic. I'd much rather suspect overheating in that case.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks for having a look EtherealN but I recently invested in a new cooler for my card and the temps rarely get above 50C and with stock and overclock it could climb to as high as 90c!! I also have mem heatsinks on it aswell so I dont think its an over heating issue, it was suggested that for my size monitor ( 24inch 16x9 ) a 512mb card might simply not be enough but i have experimented with running the game at lower res and did not get much fps gain, i will kill the V-sync and Triple buffer though and see..

Video RAM is mainly impacted by texture size as far as I know, not so much screen size.

Another thought that struck me though - it might be disk i/o that is slow on your HDD, so that when you change a view or come over a densely populated area there is so much for the game to load up from disc that it doesn't quite manage to get it. You could see if any analysis program will let you monitor the amount of disc traffic and see if you can correlate that with when the problem arose.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Ethereals suggestion with disk I/O might be a good one - should be able to cause issues like that.

Almost a full disk? Defragged lately? RAM pagesize / swap management?

From the sideline here - and thinking out loudly:

Isnt the memory timing 5-4-4-15 a bit optimistic? Could it create some "race conditions" where the memory controllers get some missed cycles to the memory bus - which could cause a "similar issue"?

Or should it have crashed utterly if that was the case?

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning