Understanging the enemy

CajunRon

On of the things that seems lacking in the documentation is a description of the capabilities of the enemy. (I know this is a hugh undertaking but other sims have done a credible job with this) I gather from these other simulations that pilots may spend almost as much time in training on understanding these capabilities as they do understanding their own craft.

With that as a preamble can anyone describe or point me to the right direction for information in understanding the capabilities of battle tanks against a helicopter like the KA-50. (and a much more specific question...what are the two side "wings" that I see deployed on the Leopard tanks in BS)

.....With that as a preamble can anyone describe or point me to the right direction for information in understanding the capabilities of battle tanks against a helicopter like the KA-50....

In DCS.......As soon as you are in range of the Main Gun, you're Dead. Should you maneuver in such a way as to negate the threat of the 120mm, you still have the Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun to contend with.

Iow, take away your ATGM's and the Tank will bury you Six ways from Sunday......

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Just dont hover within range of them and dont fly straight and level towards them when within range of their weapons, if you dont have any missiles left and only have rockets and your going up against tanks, go high and at the last minute swoop down and fire and then break away and you should be alright aslong as you are at a higher angle than they can raise their cannon at you when within range.

flying across the front of them whilst making random turns is also a good idea if you are within range of their weapons, but whatever you do, do not fly straight towards them and at an angle that their maingun can sight you, if you do chances are you get to eat 120mm of lead/brass/explosives and you wont even know you got hit.

As for tank AA machine gun fire, well I tend to find that it isnt really a threat that much, it can kill you, but if you fly it right the chances are it wont hit you at all.

A quick test is to load up the Battle mission and then just fly and dodge all the machine gun fire, it is easy enough and thats on a huge scale which you arent going to face every flight, so if you can master that then you can be pretty sure that you will survive going up against just a few tanks.

The 2 side wings on the leopard are basically extra armour and they should NOT be open in this game, as they are only meant to be opened when doing maintenance and needing access to below the panels, they swivel to allow access so that they dont need to be removed completely, so in this sim they should not be opened and if I recall I think in the upcoming patch its fixed.

Edited by bumfire
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I haven't been able to master "shooting on the fly" much at all, and certainly not while flying cross axis to the target so most of the time I'm in hover mode when attacking. I have learned to "high tail" (literally) when I get the first "under attack" message and then set up at a further distance out of range to attack again. But I always wonder what the "real life" tactic is.

Real life tactics for Apache pilots are pretty much: aproach target, shoot and flex out, while wingman shoot and flex out too. Only to both return and do it again.

When engaging personels while in air superiority, they to what they call the carousel. Both aircraft turn around the target from a set distance, equaly appart from each other and the target, and one at the time, one engage the target while the other, continuing the turn, is overwatching the scene.

I picked those tactics in Ed Macy, Apache. A very good book about British Apache pilots in Afghanistan.

Get it on Amazon.

Real life tactics for Apache pilots are pretty much: aproach target, shoot and flex out, while wingman shoot and flex out too. Only to both return and do it again.

When engaging personels while in air superiority, they to what they call the carousel. Both aircraft turn around the target from a set distance, equaly appart from each other and the target, and one at the time, one engage the target while the other, continuing the turn, is overwatching the scene.

I picked those tactics in Ed Macy, Apache. A very good book about British Apache pilots in Afghanistan.

Get it on Amazon.

Yes after reading this book I completely change my play style tactics. Amazing book.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.