Tactics to attack targets in a forest

Gadjuka

Vielen Dank Feuerfalke,

that's a good heads-up for multiplayer as well. Please ED, tell us the patch will deal with this issue...

It is essentially a cheat and should be locked for clients and only be settable by the server.

Also, is the AI line-of-sight being addressed? (Sorry if this has been answered somewhere already)

Graag gedaan!

ED have spent little effort to make their releases cheat-free, so considering the rather coop-based setting of BS and A-10, I doubt we'll see a cheat-protection for head-to-head-playing anywhere soon.

@Yskonyn:

I doubt that either problem can be fixed with a simple patch.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Well, you could send your wingman to locate units (he can see through the trees too), mark them on the abris, and then take out what you can, and have him take out the rest.

The trick is not to send him too close.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

That's what I do too, just too bad wingmen have the tendency to get engaged by whatever they spotted when you tell them to engage. :D

Lost quite a few of them that way. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS A-10C: putting the 'art' into 'warthog'.

(yes, corny. Sorry.)

It is known as "recce-to-find-fire", and is a common tactic. The last time that there was major combat over forests/jungle was Vietnam. The Balkans conflicts had plenty of forests, but helos were not used. Iraq and Afghanistan do not have too many forests (though Helmand province has a lot of heavy wooded areas around the river).

There are many books/papers on the tactics used by helos in Vietnam.

For an interesting book (and documentary on UK Sky "Helicopter Warfare") about a Lynx from 847 squadron and a Gazelle trying to find a T55 that was well camouflaged and were giving them a hard time in Basra in Iraq, see "Armed Action" by James Newton. It describes the duel and tactics adopted by both sides, relevant to forests as well as urban warfare. The Lynx finally won, but only just.

i have read many accounts of cobra pilots excuting this very tactic, bloody good reading :pilotfly:, i also heard some recordings of the very flights all i can say is wow, i will endevear to find link :P, good place for some read ups

http://www.vhpa.org/stories/stories.html

Here is my tactic:

If the target is at the edge of the forest, but not in your line of sight, I usually "scan" the area where I think it is with the Laser. If I hit the target the Laser will lock, if not, the range will be given, but the laser will "drift". A reminder though, this tactic often require 2 ATGM:s since the first on often hit on the side of the target.

A note though, this tactic is probably not realistic in any way, but on the other hand, so is shooting through the trees. :music_whistling:

Intel Duo E8500 | 4 Gb RAM | HD4850 x 2 Crossfire | Vista Home

Perhaps this is a bit simplistic, but it seems like even without collidable trees, the AI issue could be dealt with fairly easily in the code. Maybe just something like if the unit is in a forested area, its detection range for airborne units will be reduced based on the vertical angle of the line between the ground unit and the airborne unit. This would mean that a ground unit in a forest could "see" perfectly straight up, but would have basically zero visibility when looking straight ahead. An airborne object at an intermediate angle (say, 45 degrees) would have some amount of reduced visibility.

Such an approach is a bit of of a hack, but might at least give simple but credible solution to the problem.

• 2 weeks later...