Finally Smooth Flying with these Graphic Settings

toby23

(Edit 10.07.09 - After more testing, I have improved the gameplay experience and updated this post)

After searching for months for settings that give me smooth flight with DCS Black Shark, I've finally found the following set-up which is giving me smooth gameplay in pretty much any situation.

I do not care how many FPS I get, for me smooth gameplay is what matters, but I now get between 30 and 60fps with these settings, depending on how much is going on on screen.

I can now fly low, fast and smoothly through built up cities without any problems with a butter smooth framerate that does not go below 30fps and, for example, around Gelendzhik a constant 60fps.

My set up:

CPU - Q9650

GPU - BFG GTX 260 216 cores

4gb DDR2 800mhz Ram

Win XP Pro SP3

P5Q motherboard

TrackIR 4 Pro

X52 controller

30" Monitor at 2560x1600.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made the following change to \Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Config\graphics.cfg

MaxFPS = 60;

I have always been taught to set to MaxFPS 30 but after experimenting, I get the smoothest results with MaxFPS 60. It makes a huge difference with TrackIR and my high screen resolution.

and the following changes to \Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts\options.lua

["water"] = "1", (Optional - removes cloud reflections but does not affect FPS as much as in FSX, it's up to you)

["shadows"] = "0",

["effects"] = 2,

["terrPrld"] = "100",

Below are my in-game settings.

Shadows are the biggest FPS killer for me, so they're forced off in the graphics.cfg file.

Textures - High

Scenes - High

Civ Traffic - Yes

Water - Normal

Visib Range - Medium

Heat Blur - Off

Shadows - None (See above)

Resolution - 2560x1600

Res. of Cockpit Displays - 1024

My Nvidia Control panel is set up as follows:

Anisotropic Filtering - 16x

AA Gamma Correction - On

AA Mode - Override Application

AA Transparency - Off

AA Setting - 4x

Triple Buffering - Off

Extension limit - Off

Error Reporting - Off

Maximum pre-rendered frames - 3

Force Mipmaps - None

Multi Display - Single

Negative LOD Bias - Clamp

Texture Filtering Quality - High Quality

Threaded Optimisation - Auto

Vertical Sync - Automatically On

(The final option - I don't know the translation) Übereinstimmende Texture-Clamp Off

Thanks to the team at ED for making Black Shark.

Happy flying,

Toby

:pilotfly:

Edited by toby23
New ideas after testing

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

I fretted with this a bit too, what worked best for me was just switching to Vista and being able to use DCS Max and the affinity tool. It has really made a world of difference...absolutley no stuttering on my end. My system specs are not as good as yours but then I am using a smaller monitor as well (23"). Might be worth switching to Vista and you may even get better results

Whats W7 RC ? I have a thread in here that shows benchmarking results using Vista and Win7 and the FPS was much lower in win7 compared to Vista

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I agree with btaft. Switch to Vista or W7 RC, and you should be able to fly with all the in-game settings at maximum. That's what I do, and I'm using a meager 8800GTS.

I can confirme this as well, Windows7 64 bit offers pretty smooth gameplay and there are ATI and Nvidea drivers out there.

Thats interesting news, have you actually compared frame rates?

I started tghis thread some time ago, and the results were clear that Vista out performed Win7 64 substantially. I would be very interested in information that would improve upon my results at this thread.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=39823

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

On a whim I tried changing the max framerate to 60 and the effects to 2, and I can confirm that it made a large difference in my frame rate. I'm not running a high end system by today's standards at all, 2.66ghz core 2, 8800gtx, win xp, and 1920x1200, so I was pleasantly surprised to see the increase. I was running avg 25 fps, down to 15-18 when the shkval was uncaged, now it's steady at around 45 to 50 and 25-30 with the shkval going.

Thanks for the tip :)

Ahhh,, we are talking Vista compared to Win7 with affinity tool, not xp vs Win7. But any feedback is appreciated.

By the way, I still have an unanswered question, what is "W7 RC"??

By the way, I still have an unanswered question, what is "W7 RC"??

Windows 7 Release Candidate

Cooler Master 932 HAF, Intel I7-920 @2.66MHz, ASUS GTX-260 896MB DDR3, 6GB DDR3 XMS 1333MHz Corsair RAM, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Trackir 5, X52 pro, Creative Fatal1ty Headset

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

LOL, just too late... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Cool,,, many thanks! I have the Beta version currently on a tripple boot OS (WinXPPro 32, Vista Ultimate 64 & Win 7 64 Ultimate beta) I will start bench marking W7 RC as soon as this weekend I hope.

I started with XP Pro 32 bit averaging about 30 fps in the instant action mission, switched to Win7 RC 32 bit and gained 10 fps with the ability to set my affinity for my core2duo. I then installed Win7 RC 64 bit and gained yet another 10 fps, averaging now at 50 fps. I finally did an overclock from 2.4 to 3.4 (with an aftermarket cooler ofcourse) and gained another 10 fps!

So now I am at 60 fps on the instant action mission. So I pretty much doubled my frame rates with the only piece of hardware purchased being a high quality cooler for my cpu.

Good for you, glad you got that increase. I got the same increase benchmarking XP Pro 32 and Vista 64, using the affinity tool. So yeah, its not unusual to basically double your frame rates between the 2. I want to see the diff between Vista 64 and W7 64 now. Thought I would get a chance to do it this weekend, but no luck

• 1 month later...

Just updated from an E6850@3.0 to a Q9650@3.6, and XP to Vista 32.

Game now looks and feels amazing. 1920x1200, with full cockpit textures.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Well this game is runnig smoothly with good CPU (above 3GHz). I love its smoothnes, something i am missing in FSX.

I hope A-10 will be smooth too , because stutter is really annoying in flight sims.

Any info about A-10 would be welcome, too bad that we will have to wait till december.

(Too much od smoothnes in this article :-))

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

Any info about A-10 would be welcome.......

No Doubt Smooooth Sailin' atm.......:P

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Any info about A-10 would be welcome, too bad that we will have to wait till december.

According to Wags, they're pre alpha ATM, or alpha at the most, so from their point of view, it would be highly unprofessional to come out with any system requirements. Also, what's the difference? Think of it like that: by the time some requirements seep through, the needed hardware will be way cheaper than it is now ;):D

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 11 months later...

I think I found your problem. Vertical Sync + MaxFPS30 means that only 30 or lesser FPS can be shown. When you increased it to FaxFPS60 then there were more options for fractional FPSs below 60 than there were before 30.

You might have the smoothest gameplay with V. Sync off and MaxFPS30.

I hope graphic option in which texture is not expressed, the number of polygons is reduced .(visual pleasure is abandoned)

because I cannot afford to buy high-end computer just for one game. :cry:

Ahh..but you still can by that high-end pc...just by another game dude! :megalol:

I think literally, I have over a hundred games now...i'm not rich, just started a long time ago...a game here, a game there....on sale, amazon, STEAM specials...you can do it to! Comon....go get the Orange box or somethin'.

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Coolermaster Sniper CM Storm Case-i7 920 OC 3.74ghz-Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 heatsink/fans-ASUS P6T Deluxe V2-Corsair 850W PWR-OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 lat.7-7-7-24-WD 300Gb 'Raptor drive-Seagate 750Gb-MSI NX8800GTS 512Mb OC (G92)-Creative X-fi titanium-TrackIR5 Pro-MS FF2 Sidewinder [Oldie but goody] :thumbup: