Most idiotic thing you've done in BS

This thread is for those moments we prefer to sweep under the rug and pretend never happened.

Here's mine:

I'm flying nap-of-the-Earth, deep in enemy territory. It's an online mission with a large battle area. I'm around 30km from my home base, hunting a convoy. The sun's starting to go down, but there's still more than enough light.

At the moment, I'm over a small town that seems to be the hub for a road network. The town's clean and I'm scanning the horizon for enemy.

I start getting a weird feeling, like something in my view isn't right. I'm following a road that leads out the other side of the town. It looks funny, like it's growing too quickly. Suddenly, the lower portion of it starts widening fast. I focus on it. The perspective is all wrong. What the hell-

Oh S***! It's a factory smokestack! Its upper rim had been level with my horizon and it had the exact same color as the real road behind it.

I pull hard up on the collective, yank the nose back. Too late. Whack! The lower tip of my nose smacks against the very edge of the stack. My Shkval goes dark.

I recover, stabilize the helo, and do a damage assessment. Everything is perfectly fine, except for the one thing I need to complete my mission: the damned Shkval. I'm stuck deep in enemy territory, on an anti-tank mission against a convoy reported to have heavy SAM coverage, and I have no targeting system....

... because I flew into a damn chimney.

*sigh*

So, I turn around and fly my 30km home, grumbling, with my non-existent tail rotor stuck firmly between my legs.

Edited by wickedpenguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haha, that's awesome!

One day I looked down to change my PVI WP while flying down a canyon. My TIR was jerky so it took me a while, and when I looked up, all I could see was ground ...

A few missions later, I was screaming down a canyon below power-line altitude. I zipped right around a bend only to find my screen filled with a power-line tower ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

....A few missions later, I was screaming down a canyon below power-line altitude. I zipped right around a bend only to find my screen filled with a power-line tower ...

I do that often enough.......Ingressing at about 280km/h+ and in a moment of recklessness you hit that power-line just right and it neatly shears your Rotors clean off, leaving you with a coupla sec's of Glide-Time in a Surreal, Deathly Silence......

Just enough time to contemplate a rather Untimely demise in a cockpit filled with Scarlet Expletives.........:badmood::ranting:

wickedpenguin - Brilliant! :lol: :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

A friend ad I are trying out 'hunter-killer' tactics for the first time on the 159th server. It is a long flight and we go to overwatch formation, with me trailing to provide cover if attacked. Lead helo says "SAM LAUNCH!". I see Sam missiles taking off and like johnny on the spot, I cover, desgnate and launch my vikher. After the launch, I come to my wits and realise we are behind our own lines. "SH*T!" I say and try to slew the laser off target, but too late... BOOM! friendly fire kill and I get chastised from ShallowG and booted from the mission.

always wanted to tell the story of what was a silly learning experience. Good post :)

in a moment of recklessness you hit that power-line just right and it neatly shears your Rotors clean off, leaving you with a coupla sec's of Glide-Time in a Surreal, Deathly Silence......

Just enough time to contemplate a rather Untimely demise in a cockpit filled with Scarlet Expletives.........

I did that the other day. Clotheslined myself on a power line. Entire rotor assembly comes clean off.

No expletives. Just a simple, "Well, that's ungood." Eject!

:doh:

The worst part was when the entire village came out of their houses with torches and pitchforks, demanding to know who cut the power on the night of the "Georgian Idol" finale. Let's just say I looked rather conspicuous standing next to a flaming helicopter wreck.

"My bad?"

Edited by wickedpenguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Most idiotic thing you've done in BS

I put Kh-29 and exploded xD

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Most idiotic? Well the most idiotic is i've gone and blew myself up a few times with my own weapons...

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

While on a combat mission I located a single tank in a canyon and thought it was a great idea to test my guns on it. Just when I jumped on top of him, switching to guns, pleased he hadn't noticed me until it was too late, I wondered what a single tanks was doing here? Don't they usually come in groups?

I only saw two big muzzle-flashes through the right window behind that little slope the single tank was standing upon - then my shark desintegrated

My mom was right: Don't play with your meal. :D

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Had to cross a 4000m ridge to get to my target area, but only started the climb when I approached the ridge. Having slowed to a crawl, it was almost impossible to gain altitude. When I finally reached the level of the ridge, I nudged the helo forward and skidded (yes, in contact with the ridge) across to the other side. :D

Should have lowered the gear, no damage though. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS A-10C: putting the 'art' into 'warthog'.

(yes, corny. Sorry.)

I have a bad habit of forgetting to switch off the APU after start-up, but I usually catch on after a minute or two in the air. Also leaving the cockpit light on and wondering why my NVG's are so crap...:music_whistling:

During one of my first campaign missions I see a juicy line of bmp's and tanks, I'm in a great position and I let them have it. After using up all my vikhrs and feeling very pleased with myself, I ended the mission expecting a medal or promotion, only to find out I had wasted the column I was supposed to support...I now pay a bit more attention to mission briefs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Dunno if it was completely idiotic, but tried to land on what looks like a "workers" apartment block from the Brezhnev era. (just to test my hover, landing skills) Touch down on the roof and phhht, the apartment block just crumbles beneath me. So much for workmanship, they probably put straw in the concrete, capped hollow piers.

Dunno if it was completely idiotic, but tried to land on what looks like a "workers" apartment block from the Brezhnev era. (just to test my hover, landing skills) Touch down on the roof and phhht, the apartment block just crumbles beneath me. So much for workmanship, they probably put straw in the concrete, capped hollow piers.

Probably built by these guys.

building.jpg

3672780042_0a18af8ed1_o.jpg

I was flying a cooperative MP mission with USSR_Rik some time ago, and we were going through the heavy clouds (zero visibility range) above the mountains in formation flight. We reached the waypoint and I started descending by plan: I pushed the stick, looked at the variometer to report descent rate, and saw it stays at zero meters per second. Pushed the stick more, lowered the collective and asked myself, how could it be that I'm still going without losing altitude. Looked at ADI and saw the pitch is -60, but variometer still says I'm in horizontal flight. Looked at airspeed and understood I'm going 310 km/h down to the mountains, but without overspeed warning! :doh:

All these actions took seconds, not minutes, and I returned to normal flight. I was very close to crash and could not even reach our targets because I just didn't turn on pitot heater (so variometer became frozen) and AOA transducer heater and didn't check flight parameters with several instruments and not with the variometer only in instrumental flight. It was really stupid to keep pushing the stick while looking at variometer only and thinking of what is happening. :smilewink:

Do not repeat my mistakes. :smilewink:

Edited by Ulrich
picture.php?albumid=243&pictureid=1732

That's an awesome example.

Just goes to show: if something in your airplane feels wrong, most likely there is something wrong.

Correct. This example shows how things are gathering within seconds to become a catastrophe: lack of attention and a branch of mistakes, all the same as in the real life.

P.S. Your saying should be "memorized in bronze on the wall". )

Edited by Ulrich
picture.php?albumid=243&pictureid=1732

Probably built by these guys.

building.jpg

3672780042_0a18af8ed1_o.jpg

Good it didn't collapse anyway :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Getting caught in a vortex ring state twice in one of my earliest sessions is probably still my most idiotic moment so far.

Unfortunately I have video evidence:

Edit: Be sure to hit the HQ button to watch the high-quality version...much easier to see what's going on.

Edited by GreenGriffon

was in close formation with a squad mate of mine...... looked away for a second and looked back and my mate got shot and i biffed it right into him LMAO!!! :D

Edited by graywo1fg

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg