My series of video tutorials

Alright, a while back before I even installed DCS: Black Shark, I went through all of the producers notes so I wouldn't have to wait a million years before I could fly the Ka-50. As I was watching these, I was always thinking "Man, these videos are reaally long, and there is like no enthusiasm in this guy's voice." Sorry, Mr. Wagner. I mean, the videos certainly have a lot of information in them, perhaps even too much information for a lot of the users (Like explaning the page in the ABRIS that details satellite locations and their effect on accuracy.) There certainly are some people who will use that information, but I can imagine that those people are a smaller minority.

So, when it came time to play the game, I couldn't remember much at all from the producer's notes. Not all information had stuck with me. I decided to make my own series of tutorials, sacrificing the amount of information for less time and a much, much more casual tone. I figure that if I take a much more casual tone and focus more in the key elements, then people will benefit more from it because it will keep their attention better.

Now, I am not an expert with the Ka-50, I probably made some mistakes. I am always up for re-making these videos. They seriously took me like fifteen minutes each. If you spot an error in any of my videos, please point them out to me. I can at least make a comment within the video itself, if I don't remake the video entirely.

Some videos may have some language in them, possibly deeming them NSFW if you have speakers. Again, I stress that I took a very casual feel to them.

Autopilot Tutorial - I plan to remake this one later, it is too long at nine minutes, and I stutter and say "uhhhh" too much. And my voice pales in loudness compared to the engines.

kmstMX8BldI

How to Hover Tutorial

zazolLemVds

How to Learn the Start-Up Procedure

j99-kO1N_3A

Countermeasures Tutorial - This one I might remake, I've remade it like three times so far. It still is too long.

5gq1MF3Pl9M

And a shameless plug for my "tutorial" of how to emergency land. This isn't a tutorial as much as it is a video just for laughs.

EQqllUGbOt8

Any feedback is appreciated. These are not meant for anybody but the casual, inexperienced user. Experienced pilots won't take much more away from this at all.

• Like 6

"actually: no. i want these on, i want these on. oh hey no, not cool, not cool!"

haha, hilarious.

take me out to the black,

tell 'em i ain't coming back,

i don't care, i'm still free,

you can't take the sky from me.

...still waiting for the day when the military recruits their dronepilots out of a group of flightsimgamers...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice job Waldo, I liked the semi sarcastic attitude about the BS, pretty funny at times. Many tutorials seem so dry and formal, nice change.

Sometimes we flightsimmers take ourselves too seriously.

Edited by mjolner

I love it, it's casual and funny and I get to learn some new stuff. The only thing I can complain about is that I have a hard time hearing your voice cause of the engine noise but then it might be my surround setup that enhances the engine noise to much. Thanks mate! :D

Go Ugly Early

Just watched the autopilot tutorial. I'm sorry to say but personally i didn't like it. To much negativity about the KA-50 for me.

Actually I switched it off after you where saying " this button sucks and we are not going to talk about it because it sucks". :doh:

Also i didn't like not calling the systems by name, for example you name the PVI-800 " this thing".

But there are probably a lot of people who do like it and learn a lot from it.

Keep up the good work.

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

is there a way to save these vids to our hard drive?

are the boring bland yet informational training mission in the DCS BS tutorials in video format somewhere as well? (and hopefully that I can save in my HD); Will Fraps do it?)

is there a way to save these vids to our hard drive?....

How to Download YouTube Videos

are the boring bland yet informational training mission in the DCS BS tutorials in video format somewhere as well? (and hopefully that I can save in my HD)....

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?scr=products&end_pos=133&lang=en&page=1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thank you everyone for the responses and feedback. I always read everything people say about my videos, your comments never go unheard. I do appreciate all of the positive things said, and especially the criticism. I haven't had much time lately, so I haven't produced any more. However, in the next few weeks that might change.

Just watched the autopilot tutorial. I'm sorry to say but personally i didn't like it. To much negativity about the KA-50 for me.

Actually I switched it off after you where saying " this button sucks and we are not going to talk about it because it sucks". :doh:

Also i didn't like not calling the systems by name, for example you name the PVI-800 " this thing".

But there are probably a lot of people who do like it and learn a lot from it.

Keep up the good work.

When I went into making these, I divided the theoretical group of people who play DCS: Black Shark into two groups. The first being the hardcore, knows-everything, detail-thriving simmer, and the other being the kind of guy who enjoys flight sims, but isn't looking for extreme detail and immersion, but will appreciate it (of course, individules within the two groups will vary greatly from the stereotype). These were meant for the latter, which is why I took the casual approach. They aren't going to want to look too deep into the functions of the Ka-50, but want to be able to use a wide variety of them. I figured that the target group (type B, for this explanation) is just going to want the autopilot to fly the basic route for them during long periods of flight, nothing special. That is why I decided to skip over the Flight Director function, and tried to throw in a little humor with the "it sucks, so we won't talk about it, it sucks."

I knew that a few of the dedicated simmer group would come across it and not take quite the same appreciation for the videos. My reasoning is that this group would consist of the guys who watched and listened through the entire in-game tutorial on it. I didn't quite like the tutorial for the reasons outlined in my OP, and I figured that the type B group probably didn't quite finish the tutorial or pay close attention the entire time either, so this video was purposed to highlight the functions most relevant to that kind of guy.

MainSail, I think I would categorize you in with the first group. I might not apply the full stereotype to you, but I think you might lean towards that group. I mean, that's fine, this stuff is probably easy as cake to you. If you haven't the chance to play the game much yet, I hope this was a starter for you, and hope that you look into the more detailed in-game tutorial. You will certainly get more out of that than I did.

As for giving different systems their proper respective names, I decided to stray away from that. I would easily categorize myself with the more casual simmer group, and when I play I don't think of every system as the "UV-26" or "PVI-800," I just think "ABRIS. Flares. Countermeasures. Fancy navigation business," so my logic led me to think that other people of the casual simmer group would have similar mindsets about them, and by using the more casual naming system the video would appeal better to them.

I thank you for your response, I appreciate the constructive criticism and positive comments, despite your disapproval. You might want to check out the last video, it is certainly a different style than the tutorials, not meant to teach, rather to entertain.

MainSail, I think I would categorize you in with the first group. I might not apply the full stereotype to you, but I think you might lean towards that group.

That is correct. It's not only a hobby but avionics is what i do for a living.

I watched your last video and it was very entertaining really nice, had a good laugh about it. :megalol:

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I liked the emergency landing as well. Very good. Same thinking as me in some situations it seems.

I am pretty sure your button mashing is pointless for the fire extinguisher though. I thought you had to flip a switch to manually use the extinguisher? Or to use the 2nd set or something. I thought there was an automatic fire suppression 1st stage.

The first fire bottle is automatic, no button pushing required. The second bottle is manual, you flip the switch to select manual, then press the appropriate button for the compartment with the fire.

I thought you didn't have to switch from auto to manual to fire the 2nd bottle. The button always activates the discharge?

EDIT: No wait, you're right as always. In manual it says bottle #1 can be discharged in auto or manual mode but #2 bottle requires manual mode. When you press discharge in manual mode with #1 and #2 bottles charged does it discharge both of them? Does it require 2 presses? Which fires first?

Edited by Frederf