Do I need HOTAS?

Hi, I'm new to DCS and I'm planning to buy Black Shark in the next two weeks. Now at the moment I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo and and it is all I have needed for my other two sims, Free Falcon 5 (Falcon 4.0) and Il2 1946. With the Cyborg and the keyboard I can efficeintly play FF5 on full realism settings, but my question is because it is a helo sim will I require a HOTAS system, like the Saitek 52, to run Black Shark on full realism settings. This is my first time at a helo sim.

Toshiba Notebook

Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu T8300 @ 2.40GHz

4.0GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

Saitek X52 Pro

Trackir 5

DCS: Black Shark 1.0

Arma 2 1.0

Free Falcon 5.0

Il2 1946 4.08

Silent Hunter 4 1.5

Do you need it? No.

Is BS better with a HOTAS? Yes.

Is BS far better with HOTAS, pedals and TrackIR? Yes.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Thanks mate, I pretty sure I'll get the Saitek 52 at the asme time as Black Shark, Just waiting on my tax.

Just wondering because the Black Shark dosn't have a tail rotor does it still pivert on the spot like conventional helos or do you have to bank and turn like a fixed wind aircraft?

Toshiba Notebook

4.0GB RAM

Saitek X52 Pro

Trackir 5

Arma 2 1.0

Free Falcon 5.0

Il2 1946 4.08

Silent Hunter 4 1.5

You can still spin it; there's a rudder on the tail, and I think you can generate centrifugal force to spin at low speed by varying RPM between the 2 rotor discs.

At any rate, it's transparent; there are 2 pedals that allow you to turn, how it happens is not important. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS A-10C: putting the 'art' into 'warthog'.

(yes, corny. Sorry.)

You can still spin it; there's a rudder on the tail, and I think you can generate centrifugal force to spin at low speed by varying RPM between the 2 rotor discs.

At any rate, it's transparent; there are 2 pedals that allow you to turn, how it happens is not important. :D

Not exactly... rotor RPM is held constant by the engine governer, even when applying rudder.

If you allow me to explain: a rotor disk generates lift at the cost of torque, this torque is generated by the engine. A single rotor helo requires a tail rotor to counteract the torque from the main rotor. Why? Otherwise the helo would start spinning around its main rotor.

Now, with two main rotors (holds for "chinook" configuration as well) you can use the opposite directions of rotation and thus torque to cancel each other out. If you do want to turn, and here comes the point, you apply more torque to one rotor and less to the other by creating a difference in collective pitch between the rotors. The rotors are mechanically linked in the main gearbox, so they can only rotate at equal (but opposite) RPM.

Has this made any sense?

You can look it up in the manual at 13-10 of the printed edition (not included in the pdf manual, unfortunately)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

What about the z-axis on the stick or throttle, dosn't it do the same as the pedals?

Toshiba Notebook

4.0GB RAM

Saitek X52 Pro

Trackir 5

Arma 2 1.0

Free Falcon 5.0

Il2 1946 4.08

Silent Hunter 4 1.5

Thanks guys, I think I'll buy the game first and see how my current system handels it, then I'll put my orders in for the Saitek 52 and Trackir 4 pro. The pedals will have to wait a while.

Toshiba Notebook

4.0GB RAM

Saitek X52 Pro

Trackir 5

Arma 2 1.0

Free Falcon 5.0

Il2 1946 4.08

Silent Hunter 4 1.5