My opinion of home made videos

Guest Jocko

Guest Jocko

IMHO, and take it for what it's worth, a flight video needs to show airplanes that sound like airplanes and sound effects relating to flight. Music should only be added in moderation to fit the flight video, less is better than more.

As soon as I click to play a flight video and hear it is going to be a music video, I stop it and leave. If I want to hear a music video, I will go to MTV or search music videos.

Nearly everybody today thinks a video needs to have a music background and I think most of these who think this are teens. Nearly everybody is interested in what the background music is. Personally, as an adult, I couldn't care less about dubbed in music to a flight video.

Finally, keep in mind that copying what others do is not at all creative. Create videos with your own unique imagination. A flight video does not, necessarily, need any music. To think so is narrow-minded. :thumbup:

I absolutely need to agree you! I also want to hear the ingame sounds and especially the load-dependent engine and rotor sounds of the shark. Not music that if the worst comes to the worst isn't fitting to what you see (-> absent cinematics).

Music only should act as support, not drowning everthing else.

Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3.4 Ghz | 12 GB RAM (DDR3-1600) | Nvidia Geforce GTX660 Ti/2GB (Driver Ver. 381.65 ) | ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus | SB Audigy 2 ZS (kxProject 3552) | Samsung SSD 830 Series (Sys: 64GB, DCS+other: 128GB) | Saitek X52 Pro + TM MFDs | TIR4: Pro (TIR 5.4.1.26786 Software) | Windows 10 Pro (x64, non Anniversary)

I absolutely need to agree you! I also want to hear the ingame sounds and especially the load-dependent engine and rotor sounds of the shark. Not music that if the worst comes to the worst isn't fitting to what you see (-> absent cinematics).

Music only should act as support, not drowning everthing else.

Check this then..... 2 vids..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRaNnpIdYWY&feature=channel_page

And how do you like this one:

Yes, it also have music, but we tried to synchronize it with the video, and we added some real life sound, plus in game sounds, plus communication between pilots, and finally all together to have a story. Not just flying around.

Sorry that this video is recorded in LO FC (during COOP MP mission with 4 A-10s) and not in BS, but soon we are planning to make something like that in BS, so I would like to hear other people's opinion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, it also have music, but we tried to synchronize it with the video, and we added some real life sound, plus in game sounds, plus communication between pilots, and finally all together to have a story. Not just flying around.

Sorry that this video is recorded in LO FC (during COOP MP mission with 4 A-10s) and not in BS, but soon we are planning to make something like that in BS, so I would like to hear other people's opinion.

Very nice video. Can you post it without the music, in my opinion it will by even better because it is so realistic. The music is good but without it will be better with those real life pilot communications. Cant wait for your BS video.

Edited by connos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Well i would say that it's case sensitive. I also don't like videos that have some dumb music that doesn't fit to the video at all. But for example

superb video (made by one of our forum members) is basicly built around the music and just wouldn't have the same effect without it.

Great video! How did you get your voices to sound like real radio chatter? Is it an after effect or are you able to make yourself sound like that in the Teamspeak (or similar)?

Great video! How did you get your voices to sound like real radio chatter? Is it an after effect or are you able to make yourself sound like that in the Teamspeak (or similar)?

Thanks, i'm glad you like it. This gives me inspiration and energy to continue my production! :D

Regarding to voices, it is actualy after effect. First we recorded our comunication (we were using Ventrilo) parallel with the video. But it sounded really unrealistic because Ventrilo gives very clear sound. I've tryed to modify that audio later using morphing software, but that didn't get satisfying results also. At the end, we recorded needed phrases (minding to keep authentic events) via Sound Recorder on our mobile phones. You will be surprised how realistic results you will get if you keep the mic of your mobile 1mm of your mouth (or closer) while you are recording. That is the secret.

Anyway it would be great if ED integrate radio comm software that sounds like real comm with next patch/module, but that's another topic...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice video. Can you post it without the music...

Connos, unfortunately I don’t have raw materials any longer, expect the whole video in .wmv format in high res. I will have that in mind with my next video, and maybe make 2 versions – with and without music.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest Jocko
I made music a pretty big part of
, but I think you'll enjoy the method which I did so.

[/shameless plug]

that thumping is awfully annoying. method? I'll never know your method until you redo your video without that annoying thumping...:mad:

that thumping is awfully annoying. method? I'll never know your method until you redo your video without that annoying thumping...:mad:

Maybe you should watch the whole thing before making rude sarcastic remarks, for if you did you would find that I worked changes of music as launching points for humor.

IMHO, and take it for what it's worth, a flight video needs to show airplanes that sound like airplanes and sound effects relating to flight. Music should only be added in moderation to fit the flight video, less is better than more.

As soon as I click to play a flight video and hear it is going to be a music video, I stop it and leave. If I want to hear a music video, I will go to MTV or search music videos.

Nearly everybody today thinks a video needs to have a music background and I think most of these who think this are teens. Nearly everybody is interested in what the background music is. Personally, as an adult, I couldn't care less about dubbed in music to a flight video.

Finally, keep in mind that copying what others do is not at all creative. Create videos with your own unique imagination. A flight video does not, necessarily, need any music. To think so is narrow-minded. :thumbup:

I have been saying this but to no avail. Man you read my mind.

I love music and I can listen to almost every genre but dam they are annoying in flight videos. Look man, why not just dub it with Sarah Palin's speech if you want to annoy someone in stead of those heavy, screaming, metal songs? No imagination what-so-ever.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Connos, unfortunately I don’t have raw materials any longer, expect the whole video in .wmv format in high res. I will have that in mind with my next video, and maybe make 2 versions – with and without music.

Nice thanks it is one of the best videos out there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

• ED Team

Well, don't know about other movie makers out there, but i hardly doubt you will ever see a movie from me without music in it.

Unless it's story based of course (and again, depends on what genre the movie goes under).

Hehe, was it a humour vid or were you trying to really show an emergency landing? In the case of the latter, you still did it wrong - but I was definitely amused!

First, when you get engine vibration warning, shut off the appropriate engine. If you didn't, and you get a fire warning, shut off the appropriate engine.

THere's no need for you to discharge the fire bottles, the first one discharges automatically when a fire is detected, but that will not help if you don't shut off the engine (ie. cut off the fuel)

Finally, maintain rotor RPM through your descent, and flare close to the runway. Do NOT slow down at altitude as this will work against you - you'll fall to the ground just like you did.

Once you slow down close to the runway, land it like an aircraft. You must do so precicely because you have an exact amount of flying ability left in the airframe.

Nice vid though, and I like how you kept changing music :D

Maybe you should watch the whole thing before making rude sarcastic remarks, for if you did you would find that I worked changes of music as launching points for humor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Don't you be dissing Kenny Loggins Kif. You and I will have words :D

I agree with the OP on the tendency for people to jsut slap their favourite hard rock/metal song over some footage and call that a movie. But for many moviemakers (myself included) the music is an inspiration for the movie and it adds a lot.

As an example, my VAAF promo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT16OWI-NAg

Now there are a lot of things about it that I'd change in hindsight, but the music is not one of them.

Where would Tarantino be without his uncanny ability to match music to visuals? Like anything, it is the *thoughtless* use of music that is the problem, not the use of music itself.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Oh poo. I wasn't talking about you, GA. Sooo, when you gonna show us the new A-10 vid? :D

ruprecht,

Now that is appropriate music for flight. In my opinion, there is something graceful about a fire breathing hunk of steel milling through the sky, even if two of them were hell bent on killing one another.

Sadly, most people tend to associate the death and the glory of military aviation with mental metal. Again, I love music, I'm an aspiring writer and my creativity soars when I listen to music -- except Jazz and country.

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I partially agree but with quite alot movies music is really great composed into movie. Look at Egde by glowing Amraam as example. Great movie, one of the best I don't think it would be still so cool without "requiem for a dream" :)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

• ED Team
Oh poo. I wasn't talking about you, GA. Sooo, when you gonna show us the new A-10 vid? :D

It's in the works ;)

And i actually spent TIME finding a good music track for this movie and editing different pieces to sound like 1, so if you dont like the music, im gonna hunt you down, and throw water at you :D :P