*F-104 Starfighter Project*

Interesting choice :)

I still remember the German Starfighters, not sure when we finally got rid of them... late 80s, early 90s? Anyway, it's not totally misplaced in Lock On's "flexible" timeframe, and it's a classic plane for sure. So good luck with it!

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

Good Model! But I think your mesh Density is a bit high especially if it ends up havig to be trippled. the same smoothness can be obtained with far fewer polies. unless thats a wireframe of unfrozen sub-Ds or nurbs or subpatch. (not sure how max handles organics.) remember the goal is not high poly but high detail. especially with models for games where the lower poly the better.

It has under13500 polys but it inculdes part of the cockpit...moving canopy...and a few exteriro parts on the bottom you cannot see...that isn't too bad is it? plus when you cut out from a mesh it turns it into a boolean and takes away your ability to go back and lower the polygons...so am i screwed on that??? i hope not i would still like to go back and lower them on the fuselage!

Great job ur doing.

A F-104 is a very very nice plane!

Great job it looks very smooth and well detailed.

Can i ask how long u worked on it already ?

Allso how long u work with 3Dmax ?

Is it hard too model a plane ? Even if u are a noob :p (like me)

How can u see how many polygons u have ?

Keep ut the good job!

Grtz Eagle

13Kp isn't bad. But, for what's there it seems excesive. and when trippled it instantly jumps to 26Kp. I'm not familiar with max but you should always be able to reduce geomety. a boolean is just an operation to modify geometry based on other geometry. it shouldn't keep you from doing anything unless max is in fact the craziness i've heard it is. Focus the polycount on the detail that's really important first like the gear and control surfaces and various probes and intakes that cover the air craft. than for the fusealage use just enough polies to make it nice and smooth. Remember as I said above, "High detail and high poly aren't the same thing." Plus the lower the poly count the better the in-game preformance. You're off to a great start. the form looks verry good. I can't wait to see it in game the 104 is one of my all time favorite planes! Keep up the good work.

Great job and great choice!

Some infos I have found in Internet:

915 are Germans (F-104G F-104F and TF-104G), retired at the end of 1987.

100 Belgians, phased out of service in 1983.

120 Duchs, replaced by F-16 into the mid-1980s, some of the survivors were passed on to Greece and Turkey.

125 Italians, retired into the end of 2004.

20 Spanishes, retired 1/6/72.

See also http://www.vectorsite.net/avf1042.html.

Bye!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...