Life with Black Shark?

Flyby

hello troops! While I await my personal stimulus package (so I can get a gaming rig one day) I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable for an update on Black Shark. How is life with the sim these days? It's been out long enough, imo, for the shock and awe to wear off, and for the day-to-day routine of simming to set in. As a matter of perspective, when I first bought IL2 I was really happy with it. As time went by (plus a few add-on releases) I grew comfortable with it in the sense of spending time with a good friend. Online play certainly added a bunch of friends too! :D

So, again, how's life with BS?

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

Great, so far so good so what!

Well I hope the sim has legs, but with the addition of other a/c (when that happens) I guess that's a bygone conclusion. Also I suppose the eventual release of a new graphics engine will make the series even more long-lasting.

Flyby out

It’s worth it; this sim is unparallel to anything else available on the market. They did an awesome job. Combining the extreme learning curve with a very good eye candy interface (although old engine).

There are only good things ahead for DCS :thumbup:

Comparing IL2 to BlackShark is like comparing a bold of fruit loops cereal to a real breakfast with bacon & eggs. The taste of fruit loops is good, but not as fulfilling then a real hardy man’s breakfast LOL.

I'm getting hungry now, lol ttyl.

Cheers

Edited by TheMoose

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

My favourite sim ever was LB with its Korea add-on. Now its Black Shark. I bought it from day one and still playing regularly, learning and enjoying it. I bought a new pc, joystick, Track Ir just to play BS smoothly, who would imagine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

thanks for the comments, rotorheads!

You guys make a good case for Black Shark in the most basic way: you think it's a great sim. That's high praise, and good enough for me. I will add it to my wish list. I want to support DCS with more than just words anyway, but had/have the luxury of time to allow the sim to "breathe" for a while before asking how it's faring.

Hey TheMoose, that's an interesting analogy you threw in there. Let's hope Black Shark and it's subsequent iterations build a fan loyalty base such as IL2 has done. ;)

Flyby out

• ED Team
BS is a fantastic sim, but I believe that, if the developpers want to keep it alive for a very long time, they will need to release SDK pretty soon. I think the scenery SDK is about to get released, and I just can't wait to see what the community is capable of.

Already available:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/All_about_land

Wags, seriously, is there any chance at all of a blender toolkit? Seriously, not that many people can drop 4000 dollars on a piece of software. It will always be more accessible to more people if you can use Open Source alternatives instead.

As for black shark, well...

Right now, it's the one flight sim I always come back to. I used to always come back to falcon, but now even if I take a break from black shark, it won't be a long one, I just come right back to it.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

Hmmm... I guess all seem to enjoy Black Shark then (arcane references to rock groups aside). It's all good. ;)

Flyby out

Hmmm... I guess all seem to enjoy Black Shark then.....

As with all Demanding Mistresses, She's an Absolute Joy to Ride!

:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As with all Demanding Mistresses, She's an Absolute Joy to Ride!

:D

It now comes fully equipped with a 12-pack of Vhikrs, batteries included.

I recommend that you skip the foreplay.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I love the Megadeth reference! Here's another, that sums up the sim, at least to me! "Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?"

What do you mean "I don't support your system"?

I go to court when I have to. :music_whistling:

I used to love her, but I had to kill her

I had to put her, six feet under

And I can still hear her complain

A tribute to BBetty and NNadja

:bye_3:

...and the gameplay is adequately challenging? I know a lot of this depends on the mission (builder), but is the immersion factor deep enough for you hardcore types?

Flyby out

I haven't played DCS:BS for a while due to an installation of Win 7 RC and the awesome Arma 2, but I'm currently in process of reinstalling it. Can't wait. It just sucks that I have to reconfigure my X52 Pro, G25 pedals and Trackir once again - That will take hours :(

But DCS:BS is for me the best simulation of an aircraft made to date. Once you get comfortable with all the avionics, you become one with it. And multiplayer rocks!

As you say Flyby - It depends on the mission designers skills. Luckily you can download lots of great missions from this very site. I feel very immersed with this sim.

Edited by Zorg_DK

"There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:BS is for me the best simulation of an aircraft made to date. Once you get comfortable with all the avionics, you become one with it. And multiplayer rocks!

As you say Flyby - It depends on the mission designers skills. Luckily you can download lots of great missions from this very site. I feel very immersed with this sim.

I hear what you're sayin' Zorg. Too bad I can only relate via my experiences online with IL2 and Hyperlobby. There, good COOPS and online wars with "full real" settings was quite immersing, and helped in the suspension of disbelief. I'll be happiest when there are OPFOR breathers in dissimilar a/c for BS, but I suspect that is not the direction DCS will be taking in the short term; not with helicopter gunships anyway (nor with ground attack planes). I guess that's what LockON/FC is for. ;)

Odd, but I think of Gunship! as a nice little sim where stalking was fairly challenging, and really dangerous, but fun. Not a technical feat like LB, but immersing in it's own right. I can just see the DCS world of Apache Longbow online, trying to survive and slugging it out. D'oh! There I go again!:doh:

Flyby out

Edited by Flyby

I just wish they soon release the Ah-64a/d with the ability to share cockpit online!

Gunship 2000 - Oh, that was amazing on the Amiga.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just wish they soon release the Ah-64a/d with the ability to share cockpit online!

Gunship 2000 - Oh, that was amazing on the Amiga.

The Amiga is going back almost 20 years isn't it? I had one as well, it was just incredible. I played Gunship and the original Falcon 1 on it for I couldn't count how many hours. The graphics for Falcon 1 and Falcon 2 were amazing for the time, they were so good. Had my first train strafing run on Falcon 2, a very memorable experience even to this day.

I saw Falcon 1 on a PC that my brother had and I wondered how people could fly the thing it looked just so horrible.

I saw Falcon 3 on a PC and thought that looked horrible too, but as I had moved to a PC I bought it anyway and was amazed at the gameplay.

Back on topic. I'm looking forward to the Apache xpack for this game. I love this game, really do but for a newb like me the cockpit workload can be over the top at times plus I like the massive Hellfire battery it can carry. Probably by the time the Apache comes I might have memorised every key and command ... fingers crossed.

I just bought DCS today. I have done some research prior to buying but yeah I am still a nugget. I now appreciate the Ka-50 and I...dare say I love it. I can't wait for the A-10 / AH-64. But as for Black Shark life is great.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

Comments appreciated, guys. It's good to read that people are into Black Shark, and are looking forward to add-on releases. surely this bodes well for DCS's long term viability as a top notch sim maker. Then there are those modders out there; who knows what wondrous terrains await this series? :)

Flyby out

Gunship 2000 must've come out for Amiga in the mid 90s. i played it quite a bit. It included a flyable blackhawk and little recon heli (forget its name). The original gunship came out sometime in the 80s. I played that a lot on the c64. I bought falcon 1 the day I got my first amiga.

Can't wait for the ah64, whichever version, and a Mi24 in DCS. :)

Gunship 2000 must've come out for Amiga in the mid 90s. i played it quite a bit. It included a flyable blackhawk and little recon heli (forget its name). The original gunship came out sometime in the 80s. I played that a lot on the c64. I bought falcon 1 the day I got my first amiga.

Can't wait for the ah64, whichever version, and a Mi24 in DCS. :)

I actually still own Gunship!, the last version. I think it was published in '98 maybe. It was panned in most reviews because of the gameplay and mission builder, iirc. But I enjoyed it in it's relative simplicity compared to Jane's Longbow. They were definitely different sims. I guess I just thought that LB was far more a technical exercise while Gunship! was the better, imo, for practicing the tactical aspects of helicopter gunship warfare.

Flyby out