Mi-28N crash

Yet another news about aircraft crash, sorry.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/07/08/329383/gas-ingestion-suspected-as-russian-army-mi-28n-crashes.html

Gas ingestion suspected as Russian army Mi-28N crashes

DATE: 08/07/09

SOURCE: Flight International

A Russian army Mil Mi-28N attack helicopter crashed during firing trials on a range near Moscow on 19 June, representing the first loss involving the type.

The cause of the accident has not yet been confirmed, but is thought to be related to a loss of power following gas ingestion during rocket firing, according to a report by the Kommersant newspaper. An investigation by the Russian defence ministry is under way.

The helicopter was firing unguided rockets from a low hover of around 130ft (40m) when it suddenly lost power and landed heavily. Its tail rotor and pylon were destroyed in the crash, but both aircrew survived and left the aircraft unassisted.

A Rostvertol engineer quoted by Kommersant confirmed the incident as technical in origin, but would not specify the cause. Another source said the cause was "not connected to the main part of the helicopter".

According to a military source also quoted, the fault lay with the Mi-28's fire-control system, which launched the rockets under unsuitable parameters when the crew had intended to fire the aircraft's 30mm nose-mounted cannon.

A source in state holding company Russian Helicopters says: "A final resolution on the causes of the crash and possible repair of the machine will occur only after the completion of work by the accident commission." The helicopter remains at the firing range.

It was t/n 43 (02-03) as far I know.

Quote:

The helicopter was firing unguided rockets from a low hover of around 130ft (40m) when it suddenly lost power and landed heavily. Its tail rotor and pylon were destroyed in the crash, but both aircrew survived and left the aircraft unassisted.

Edit: Man, that bird is durable

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All attack helis are built to handle this kind of 'landing', since it is the only real safety measure you can offer their pilots if they take a hit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

They fell inside almost ~10ton beast machine, and walked away from it! Wow!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I think 40m is a little low to have auto rotation?

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear the pilots where ok.

Vekkinho, you are right, it does not look that bad. I can bring the duct tape, Who can bring the glue? We can have that thing fix in no time like the "A-Team"

• Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Those punks?!

I believe We can fix it better!

But hey, it's a 40m (130ft) we're talking and I'm amazed it didn't fall apart completely. I remember a similar accident in Vukovar, Croatia with one of our HRZ Mi-8 Hips. The helo started rotating right after takeoff and crashed from an altitude of 30m killing 2 onboard and a woman that was nearby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As far as I know the crashed Mi-28N #43 fortunately will be repaired in Rostov heli factory.

МАССАНДРА: "Микоян Артём Славный Сын Армянского Народа Дарит Радость Авиаторам".

The "N" letter means "nochnyi" ("night") and refers rather to the night attack capabilities of the Mi-28N. Like in AH-64D, the mast mounted millimetric-wave radar is not an obligatory equipment.

МАССАНДРА: "Микоян Артём Славный Сын Армянского Народа Дарит Радость Авиаторам".