"Alarm, alarm!" mission help

I'm having trouble completing the mission that takes place in the deployment section of the campaign, the one where you have to cold start while under attack in the dark and fly to a new FARP. I have a main gearbox fault and can't get to the new FARP before it goes tits up. I start up and fly off as fast as I can but it still happens. What am I doing wrong?

Also, is there anyplace I can find a mission "walkthrough" that will provide guidance in case I get stuck in the future?

• 2 years later...

What a fun mission this was! Managed to do a full manual start and get airborne. I was a little slow though.

== SPOILERS ==

They called out 'mortars!' and I was thinking, oh.. it'll be a few little explosions here or there. Then I heard an explosion from my right as I was trying to setup waypoint on my Abris. I glanced over and (I had labels on) there was a wall of blue... their mortars will blot out the moon! They started landing around me, streaking past my windscreen, demolishing everything. I paniced and shot almost straight up, somehow managing to weave (totally unintentionally) through all the raining shells.

I gave up on the plot and just flew north. Eventually my wingman (who I must sadly admit, I'd totally forgotten about) says he's in position on my left. I switch to external camera and wow.. he got wasted! But the good ol' boy was with me flying strong. Here's what he looked like (any splotchiness is Photoshop enhancing, not bad graphics):

mortars.jpg

I guess he didn't take off quite as quick as I did!

Started the shark manually too. I made it OK, but my wingman...

screen111105183050.jpg

...ouch :inv:

glcm1961 could you provide a track for us?

Can't help you much without one, other to tell you to practice more.

Edited by Mustur

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

As I recall, I had the same surprised on my first try and got completely wasted.

Second try I really sped up my startup (really, the only way to go in this mission is a manual startup, it's part of the challenge), and just immediately took off and headed in the rough direction of my destination, THEN took the time to setup the waypoint in the ABRIS.

Fortunately, since you're just going to an airport, it's fairly simple to setup a "go to" waypoint from the ABRIS database.

What I got hung on was trying to help the beleaguered forces along the was in nighttime. You don't actually need to help, but I kept trying... generally a bad idea. The Ka-50 is NOT a night bird. :)

Itkovian

I'm having trouble completing the mission that takes place in the deployment section of the campaign, the one where you have to cold start while under attack in the dark and fly to a new FARP. I have a main gearbox fault and can't get to the new FARP before it goes tits up. I start up and fly off as fast as I can but it still happens. What am I doing wrong?

Also, is there anyplace I can find a mission "walkthrough" that will provide guidance in case I get stuck in the future?

Usually this mission is fairly easy if you takeoff with engine and autopilot and K-041 turned on. I passed it the first time, and the wingman always gets it because he paints himself bullseye with the nav lights and blade tip lights on. It is just nerfed...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.