ATGM Temperatur selektor

Hey Folks,

i just stumbled about a selector wheel, which i´ve never seen before.

The ATGM Temperatur Selektor, back on the right Wall panel, where the weapons system is.

There are just a few numbers, and the manual does not explain it, it sais just it´s there.

So, is this switch important to me, and what does the numbers mean?

what about the Russians?

They like theirs served cheap from a two-liter plastic bottle by an old lady in the park--an option we will get with the Ka52.

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Simple really..........If the Doc tells you to bend over, would you prefer to receive the Incomin' Ice-Cold or Otherwise. Atm purely a matter of preference as opposed to functionality I would think...........:smartass:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Ok, here's a serious answer, but still a wild arsed guess...

Perhaps the vikhr optics are prone to fog and having the lens pre-heated/cooled prior to launch helps ensure that it stays clear throughout it's short flight.

No flames please, it was an honest guess ;)

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Sounds not too bad.

At least i don´t have any other idea, except for that i don´t know how or if the ballistic is influenced by temperature.

Maybe you can change the angle the missile is fired, because in the cold i flies short or something...

Sounds not too bad.

At least i don´t have any other idea, except for that i don´t know how or if the ballistic is influenced by temperature.

Maybe you can change the angle the missile is fired, because in the cold i flies short or something...

It's easy

Drag=1/2*density*velocity^2*Reference Surface*non-dimensional drag coefficient.

If temperature raises, then air density drops. If air density drops, for the same velocity and altitude, Drag drops. If Drag drops, then range raises. And ballistic calculations with standard temperature are not valid.

Regards!!

Ok, just had a look into the manual. Literally it says

“ББ/ТЗ” selector. Outside temperature setting for anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) flight control system pre-launch adjustments. No function.

I guess amalahama is right with the calculations but it seems that it's not simulated. Hopefully it will be one day :)

Ok, here's a serious answer, but still a wild arsed guess...

Perhaps the vikhr optics are prone to fog and having the lens pre-heated/cooled prior to launch helps ensure that it stays clear throughout it's short flight.

No flames please, it was an honest guess ;)

Vikhr has no lenses/optics ;)

Guided by sensors in the tail of the missile.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Laser sensors could be considered optics. ;)

Ambient air temperature is a factor in predicting the trajectory of unguided rockets, which is what the little circle that shows up on the HUD when you select unguided rockets is trying to do. As pointed out in an earlier post, ambient air temperature will have some effect on the ballistic profile of stuff flying through the air. Additionally, the core temp of a solid rocket motor at ignition affects the thrust profile: rocket motors with a higher fuel temp produce more thrust but burn out faster than a rocket motor with "nominal" fuel temp. Vice versa, colder rocket motors produce less thrust but burn longer. For you rocket scientists out there, total impulse generally stays the same, +/- 0.1%, it's the time rate at which that impulse is applied, which will affect the overall trajectory and impact point on the ground (if you're not pointing straight up or down!). Changes as small as 10oC in initial temp can have measurable effects on performance, depending on the rocket motor, fuel composition, etc.

My ejamukated guess is that, once fully implemented, spinning the temp dial will change the predicted impact point in the HUD when using unguided rockets, altering the projected burn profile and post-burnout ballistics, and not have any effect whatsoever on the rockets themselves.

Of course, that said, it seems kinda strange that they'd include a high-accuracy intertial navigation system with a complex autopilot paired with a sophisticated targeting and display system to reduce workload on the pilot and then make him/her turn a dial to the current outside air temperature instead of using a thermocouple system, but, hey, I'm no Kamarov...

Edited by EinsteinEP

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

Of course it does! It isn't optically guided in the manner of the Hellfire but it still receives light--with the sensor you mentioned--which is capped by a lens. That said, my vote goes to EinsteinEP's theory above.

Edited by ericinexile

Smokin' Hole