How to attack targets while moving forward ?

repsol

Hello :pilotfly:

Attacking targets when i am in a hover works well for me but attacking targets while on the move is a diffrent matter...I feel it gets a bit much for me to both fly the helicoter in a good and safe way and also use the shkval

to lock my targets...What pilot aids are good to use while attacking on the move ? altitude hold ?, turn to target, routemode (with no waypoint, trg point, airfield on), routemode with one of the nav buttons on ? What speed is about right when attacking on the move ?

any help is appriciated since this does not work well for me..

Thanks !

Line up your target beyond your weapon Rmax (maximum range) so you have time to lock it and set the apropriate weapon function (track moving target, air target, turn to target...) then engage from Rmax. If it's ATGM, as soon as the weapon impact, make a hard turn 90 degree while maintaining speed to get some separation between you and your target. Get back out and come in again for another run is need be.

You should never be hovering when attacking. That how you find out how acurate TOW missils are and how tanks main gun are painfull.

You should have your Shkval control set on your hotas, so you can pan the camera while manuvering the aircraft.

I do this whitout any other pilot aids, other than the 3 mendatory Auto pilot functions.

• Like 1

You're a better pilot that me fox! I have to be hovering to cope with the workload! I tend to clear any ground to air threats from 3km out and tend not to get engaged from there.

Will definitely try some of your tips though when I get more confident.

Make yourself a practice mission with trucs as target and Humvee with .50 cals. When they shoot you, they won't hurt too much and you will know that you are too close.

You will be able to practice your aproach.

When it get something you do machinally once you spotted and lined up a target, you'll know it's time to do it while manuvering...

That I still find hard. Mainly because the Shkval tend to get crazy and move by itself and won't stay locked on target... That mean I have to reset it and come back again for another pass.

You're a better pilot that me fox! I have to be hovering to cope with the workload! I tend to clear any ground to air threats from 3km out and tend not to get engaged from there.

Will definitely try some of your tips though when I get more confident.

There is absolutely nothing wrong hovering while attacking targets. Don't underestimate your stand off capabilities, just make sure to keep an eye out for enemies on your flanks.

You should try to clear out air threats from a lot further than 3km. You really shouldn't be that close unless you are using rockets or guns on low threat targets.

Some of the best advice I've gotten is to avoid putting yourself in a situation where you can get shot at in the first place.

A good HOTAS will definitely make slewing targets while on the move much much easier.

The easiest way I have found is to do the following

-Ingress with route following and turn to target on

-Use helmet mounted sight to pickout target (get it roughly where your target is)....this also has the effect of turning you towards the target

-Fine tune the Shval over the target and lock use the cursor keys

-Engage when in range

-After target is destroyed use HMS to turn towards next target or egress

-To egress (or take evasive maneuvers) turn off route following and fly the helicopter.

I find I don't have to touch the flight controls at all (except a little rudder to get the vikhr lined up for the shot sometimes) except for evasive maneuvers. I use this approach for ATGM, guns and rockets.

If you find your self getting too close then peel off and set up another run

Tactics I use successfully in Campaigns

-Track toward target using waypoint mode

-after you have passed closest waypoint to target (make sure waypoint is still >11km from enemy front line), change to target mode and select first TP that is your mission goal (usually TP1).

-Turn on turn to target mode and hit uncage button on cyclic. SHKVAL will slew to target point and helicopter will turn towards target.

-Ground speed should be <150. Altitude low as possible to get line of sight on target.

-Slew SHKVAL around to acquire target and lock. Laser range finder should already be on. Master arm on, select ATGMs.

-Close to Rmax. Fire as soon as you reach Rmax.

-While missile is in the air, slow to a hover maintaining same altitude. Be careful not to balloon and or enter Vortex ring as you approach the hover. While you are doing this monitor the missile.

-After impact slew to next target (there are usualy numerous targets near each TP), lock and fire. Rinse and repeat.

-Don't get any closer than just inside Rmax, until all SAMS, MANPADS, AAA and MBTs are dealt with.

-Get you wingy to target air defences.

-After attack complete, re-assess you position and possible threats (have you drifted into enemy territory?)

-Change to next TP. If necessary, reset SHKVAL (Backspace) and uncage again to slew to next TP.

-Make sure you don't have to fly across enemy positions to get to next TP. You may have to fly back towards to your lines, before turning again to next TP.

-Throughout this, don't be afraid to use your wingman to attack targets, cover you, or conduct recon, but remember - he is STUPID STUPID STUPID and he will fly right over air defences. Once he is gone, you don't get another one and you may need his ordnance to complete a mission successfully.

Criteria for breakaway.

>>>This is the bit that is gonna save your a$$<<<<

If you encounter any of the following situations break off attack and re-assess. You may need to to do an immediate 180 deg turn to get to safety, or avoid traveling further into other danger zones while dealing with the first threat:

-Your wingy calls bandit. Order him to attack bandit. Break off attack if bandit is hostile (ie not a UH-60, MH-53, etc) and/or wingy can't deal with it.

-You get an "under attack" warning from your laser warning kit. Immediate 180 degree turn and re-assess.

-Your wingy calls Missile launch. Immediate Flares. Look for missile and turn 90 degrees to missile. Continue to maneuver until missile is evaded, then turn way from launch site, as another one is sure to follow. If possible, make a note of the location of the launch site, and teach them a lesson (from a safe distance) for daring to shoot at you.

-Tracers flying past your field of view/pinging off your hull. Immediate turn away and dive to get terrain shielding, if available. Retreat to stand off range and teach as per SAM site.

REMEMBER: The most dangerous situation is when you find yourself SURROUNDED by other defences and threats after evading the first one. Try to remain on the edge of the threat area and take little bites off it. This may be unavoidable if you are striking a target deep within enemy territory.If there are multiple threats along your flightpath, you may need to change you path to the left or right and probe a bit along a new flight path. Feel your way in slowly, using terrain shielding where possible.

This was written from lessons learned the hard way in DCS and other classic sims (F4.0, LOMAC, etc). The advantage you have in Blackshark, is that you can't feel your way along SLOWLY and not end up in a real mess -real quick - thanks to your super fast jet.

Line up your target beyond your weapon Rmax (maximum range) so you have time to lock it and set the apropriate weapon function (track moving target, air target, turn to target...) then engage from Rmax. If it's ATGM, as soon as the weapon impact, make a hard turn 90 degree while maintaining speed to get some separation between you and your target. Get back out and come in again for another run is need be.

You should never be hovering when attacking. That how you find out how acurate TOW missils are and how tanks main gun are painfull.

You should have your Shkval control set on your hotas, so you can pan the camera while manuvering the aircraft.

I do this whitout any other pilot aids, other than the 3 mendatory Auto pilot functions.

that's the worst tip ever. you're not always facing tows or tanks. besides, you can take tows out before they know where you are and you can easily stay out of tank range

Are you certain it's quite so easy when they're hiding right by the edge of that forest you're near, or behind a building in that town you're crossing and so on and so forth? ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

that's the worst tip ever. you're not always facing tows or tanks. besides, you can take tows out before they know where you are and you can easily stay out of tank range

Generally speaking, it's bad to hover.

In a battlefield, if you stay still, you need to be concealed and or behind hard cover. So if you choose to hover, keep that in mind.

When engaging targets in a city or "heavy" terrain, that is hard to get a good LOS on them to shoot. But that does not mean you should not be moving before and after weapon release, to keep you moving as much as possible.

That remind me of the stock mission, Clear Tarkelly (Sp?). Ennemies are randomly placed inside a little town. If you pop out of the hills, you get engaged by TOWs and SA-9. I tried many aproach to this mission. The main issue was target detection and threat avoidance.

I got the best result while going in at beyond weapon Rmax at about 200 km/h, altitude high enough to see in the village. Target high thread, engage at Rmax and flex out for another run. No hovering, unless you want to dodge missils and waist flares.

I don't want to sound like a preacher. I'm just sharing my thought and experience with the game.

Fox 111, you describe the very problem i have been having with my attacks (almost all from hovering possition). Being shoot at by MBT main guns and TOWs while hovering...If i can find my targets from Maxrange then hovering attacks usually works fine but as you mentioned often terrain makes that difficult...If a have to move in closer then the hover attack is very dangerous...Thats the reason i feel i must get better at attacking while moving...Some good tips in this thread i will give a try...

You should only be hovering and attacking when you know for a fact those sneaky TOW launchers aren't peaking from behind a building, etc. And honestly, the only time you'd know that is when you yourself created that mission.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P