Really crappy tactic works... fantastic!

Ok, I'm confused. I believe that the tactic I use in real life would be really... crappy and dangerous, but now I have finished almost two whole campaigns, and it works fine.... fantastic actually. Let me explain.

Due to the range superiority the Vikhrs have against most SAM:s that frequently are used in this game, my tactic is simply to increase altitude reaching between 500-1500 m depending on visibility, and from there taking out targets one by one. The problem with flying low is that I find it extremely difficult to see all enemies, often resulting in me getting shot down. So, how can I adapt a more "realistic" tactic without getting shot down?

How do you do? And how do the real Black Shark pilots operate?

Intel Duo E8500 | 4 Gb RAM | HD4850 x 2 Crossfire | Vista Home

In real life I suppose you'd fall prey to fixed wing enemies? Also don't SAMS really have a far longer range at a higher elevation?

It may work but I understand AA's problem, I'm a bit the same, sure it works but probably not as intended.

And they have that super-duper automatic countermeasures system.

Ka-50 don't have the laser jammer, but you can dump flare manually to acheve the same result than the "auto flare dispenser".

Flying high is good depending on the threat level. I do fly high when there is no SAM sites.

SA-9 (manpads) usually have a sealing of 9000 fts. So flying above 2700m should keep you clear of those unpredictable SA-9.

Since AI can see and shoot trough forest and building, flying low kinda ruin it for me. But I do anyway so I can hide behind terrain and building when available.

Ok, I'm confused. I believe that the tactic I use in real life would be really... crappy and dangerous, but now I have finished almost two whole campaigns, and it works fine.... fantastic actually. Let me explain.

Due to the range superiority the Vikhrs have against most SAM:s that frequently are used in this game, my tactic is simply to increase altitude reaching between 500-1500 m depending on visibility, and from there taking out targets one by one. The problem with flying low is that I find it extremely difficult to see all enemies, often resulting in me getting shot down. So, how can I adapt a more "realistic" tactic without getting shot down?

How do you do? And how do the real Black Shark pilots operate?

This is a fine tactic so long as you have complete air superiority, and suitable suppression being applied against the enemy air defense. Given that both of those are definitively true for the Deployment campaign, and also true (though to a lesser extent) for the Georgian Oil War campaign, there's nothing wrong with that tactic.

Try playing an online game if you want to be punished for using that tactic. In particular, the 159th server often hosts scenarios in which the enemy SAM threat is very potent.

They can't shoot trough, but they see trough and will fire anyway. AI shoot each other and at you too sometime.

Sad but true.

If you are in range, the enemy will fire at you, no matter if you are behind a building, a tree, a cloud or thin air. The only difference is, that the building will take a few hits before it collapses.

In some occasions they also attempt to fire at you through solid ground. While that does not work for most missiles, it's very frustrating when fighting APCs or AAAs, because they fire ballistically over your cover and hit you with deadly precision, no matter if they can really see you or not.

To the tactics:

You'll see that a lot online and it also works in most offline-missions, as it also keeps you out of the firing arc of tanks, APCs and their AA-defenses.

I have rarely seen any realistic mission where you also have to worry about enemy fighters. But at these altitudes and speed, with no RWR and limited field of view, you should be easy prey for any fixed-wing.

Infact the longer I play, the more I notice that mission-builders tend to spam the area with MANPADS instead of a well-thought and realistic combination of SAMs and AAAs. :(

On some missions I'd rather switch to a tank, because you can drive through the defenses to the primary targets without ever facing a real threat for your vehicle. :doh:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

On some missions I'd rather switch to a tank, because you can drive through the defenses to the primary targets without ever facing a real threat for your vehicle. :doh:

Maybe landing and taxi-ing to the target is and option.....lol

Don't forget Murphy's Laws of War, the pertinent one being "If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

In real life you search for weak points in the defense and use it to your profit. I do the same in any game and of course I also use the weaknesses the game or the mission-design offers! That's not stupid, it's realistic, even if the outcome may be an unrealistic tactic ;)

You always have to adapt to the battlefield.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

At the moment, the only 'realistic' aspect of Black Shark is the Flight Model and attendant Flight Characteristics re Avionics, Weapon systems etc etc..........What you do with the Kamov on the other hand is so removed from the confines of realism that it beggars belief - which again is not a bad thing in itself ;)

In other words, rest assured in the submission that you are about as close as you're ever gonna get to True Helicopter Flight without actually climbing into an actual RL helo...........That stops the moment you engage targets - which atm can be equated to a Shooting-Range, albeit a large and awfully pretty one. As a consequence any attempt at application of RL Combat Doctrine stands to Fail at the outset simply due to the (understandable) Inherent constraints of the A.I.

Granted, the shortcomings can possibly attempted to be addressed by intellegent mission-building and the like..........again it will stand to fail as the target you are intent on destroying and will most likely do, is at the end of the day completely defenceless.

As a consequence, no tactic employed is really 'crappy'.........rather, if it works for you, why not? IMHO Success atm is best measured by my ongoing attempt at Mastering the Helo and it's attendant systems as opposed to clubbing baby seals, arhhh ermm I mean Ground Units :D

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

At the moment, the only 'realistic' aspect of Black Shark is the Flight Model and attendant Flight Characteristics re Avionics, Weapon systems etc etc...

Agreed. It's pretty much "sterile" outside these departments. That's what keeping me off recently, once I've mastered the helicopter I have pretty much stopped playing because the world surrounding Ka-50 is so basic. Tactics would be the next step naturally after mastering the helicopter but the AI and engine limitations really limit that aspect.

I have high hopes for the patch(better vehicle AI) and A-10 module though.

Got to agree, though it's becoming a bit OT.

I tend to make the missions a bit more interesting by using my wingman a bit more variable than "attack xy" or "cover me" and I also make use a lot more of the ARBIS, even if it doesn't make a difference against the 08/15-shoot'em up missions.

But I also mastered the tactics of "use all advantages" and often fly around the original waypoints and shoot them up from behind. It's fascinating how many missions can be won with just a few bullets, creeping up through the wide-open backdoor. :D

I think the A10-module will be better, because the engine as it is, is simply not the best for helo-warfare.

That's not stupid, it's realistic, even if the outcome may be an unrealistic tactic ;)

That's what I'm saying. If the tactic seems like crap, but it works, then it isn't crap. Many what-ifs can come together to make that tactic actual crap, but my point is that the fact that it works means that, in this particular case, it isn't crap at all. Which ties into being flexible and not thinking that something that may not work in one situation won't work in another, and vice versa.