Strafing advice?

Wags94

Any advice for strafing targets with the cannon or rockets? I can launch ATGM's from a distance quite well but I am terrible at strafing. I can never hold the aircraft still enough to shoot on a target accurately when strafing.

"Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano at a whore house."

Some find it easier to strafe with Flight Director enabled, so you could try that. Also, you can try switching the Shkval to Gunsight mode, which gives you a CCIP indicator on the HUD each time you lase. Alternatively, you can leave the Shkval in auto tracking mode and designate the target from long range as you would for a Vikhr attack, then run in and use the designator pointer on the HUD as an aim point. Besides that, I can only advise you to practice...a lot :).

The way I do it, that I find it work well untill I get too close.

- Line up the target

- Range the first and fire a burst.

- Walk the fire to the other targets that are close.

- If other target are far from the first, re-ranging sometime get more acurate result. I never hard-lock target.

Take advantage of the power of multi purpose explosive rounds. Sometime, 1 or 2 rounds are enough to set veh. in fire.

When I'm close and confortable, I use the gun in it's fixed forward position and straff as if I was a WW2 fighter.

I use the medium burst mode. If your speed is not suffisient, your aircraft will be rocket out of alignement by the gun recoil, so ajusting with rudder smootly is a must.

If target are in visual rage, ignoring the Shkval display and using only the HUD to shoot targets with the piper reticle is better to coordonate aircraft movement and gun recoil.

That's how I like to do it.

I use the rudder pedals alot....and short bursts about 1 second in length. I also turn on the Flight Director. Took alot of practise.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

Taking off is the easiest part. Landing is a nightmare even though I've mastered it. I need one more arm for the rudder. :D Strafing targets with rockets and cannon is almost impossible.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I bet his problem is that, like me, he's using solely the keyboard to fly this beast. I can't imagine having this kind of problem if he was using appropriate device.

I can't imagine it full stop. :(

Are you waiting for a joystick to be delivered? Even when I was travelling, I took a rotten little stick with me.

159th_viper sent me his copy of BS. Believe me, if I could afford a decent stick with rudder and throttle, I'd have gotten it.

But I take solace in the fact that when I do get proper device to fly this beast, I'd be one badass pilot. :D

lol No. But after playing BS for several weeks, I've noticed I've gotten better moving through the cords for Interstate Love Song. :D

Joke aside, a very nice gentleman sent me PM offering to give me a joystick. Ah hell, he'd be Groove. Thanks, man. A while ago, several people offered to send me BS for free when I mentioned I'd buy an unused copy if someone would sell it cheap. The people here rock, man. Really. But I'm building my own controllers. Thanks for your generosity. I'm touched -- :love:

Oh dear :( I desperately wanted one of those, too. I was within a whisker of ordering one a couple of months back as well. Kinda glad i didn't.

If anyone knows anyone else trying to sell off a second-hand attachment for whatever reason, i'd happily take it off their hands =)

Thanks by the way, Namenlos, for updating me

Ok. Back on topic. When strafing, first b sure your trim is reset, alt hold disabled, flight director enabled. As u dive in, decrease collective, adjust angle of attack and yaw as necessary. You really have to baby it. If u dive in too fast the heli will become unstable and it'll rock n roll, too slow and the gun/rockets recoil will throw u off. After you run in, increase collective and pitch up. zigzag to minimize the chance of getting hit.

Hope this helps

Edited by ArchAngel

An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.