What Can Be Done for Multiplayer?

ericinexile

These days, any game that has a steep learning curve and is not console geared is going to have a small MP base.

Then you have to weed out those who want to find every exploit and bug in the game.

There is hope. I find people in other games who play Lock On still, but had given up in online play. We get together now and then and go at it. They're out there, you just have to find them and get the fire going in their joysitck again ;)

Yes Total. While MP in Lock On is realitively small, it is far from dead. What other Jet flight sim has a sizeable MP community? None! This Sat there is the Nucleus event with over 40 participants. Drop in Hyperlobby this Sat at 2100Z, and you will see close to 100 virtual pilots I am sure.

That's hyperbole, Ice. "1 or 2 servers" just isn't what I'm seeing, and the only time I have seen that was in the mid-patch stress when people were still patching their machines and their server boxens.

Sure there could be more, but you need to also realize that simmers in general are quite often people that just don't care about multiplayer. The median flight simmer in my experience is a slightly older male with a job and kids, which just isn't all that conducive to multiplayer gaming. DCS pushes this further through it's level of detail, which further detracts from the amount of people in the multiplayer generation.

Don't commit the mistake of equating the "Lock On Community" and "Lock On Multiplayer players". ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Until there is at least one fighter in DCS, multiplayer will be next to non-existent. Also the 3d world needs to be dramatically improved to become attractive to a large online community in the future. Pyramid hills, flat seas, static weather and dodgy inland lakes just dont cut it anymore.

Multi-Core support is also something that is a must have these days.

Not that I have much push on the confident vote & not that he needs my backing, but he has mine on this issue. I totally agree with you Ice. DCS needs a fighter Jet. As for multicore CPU, how others dare to say no with such remarks?... (some suprises me)

Dawm you all that wants to stop progress, lol.

Yes static weather IS totally boring. Dynamic weather would be better. I think the same way. I want to add. EAX surround support. 64bit OS Processor support. Why not take advantage of our current technology? And why not request as such?... Cuda GPU support? A DEDICATED SERVER anyone? Supported via Linux as well?...

Besides all childish behaviours and feelings...I see nothing wrong with what Ice has mentioned. He is up 2 par with what all we want in the end... A better game/sim...

So no one has a valid reason to chew his head off on that...

My 2 cents...

"Moose"

Edited by TheMoose
dawm grammar. I'm french so bare with me lol

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

On "multicore CPU" (actually "multithreaded application" is the appropriate term, but that's nitpicking. :P ), there is a very good reason for saying "no": it's a huge job. ED wants to make DCS multithreaded, and they know it would help a lot. But it would lock up so much manpower for so much time for no added content that it simply cannot be a primary priority.

As an example, getting a 64bit executable is an easier job and will allow a lot of benefits due to the massively increased memory space available to a 64-bit process. As an example, the 2GB limit of 32-bit applications is from what I've understood one of the reasons why they had to remove the Crimea when they included more of Georgia in DCS. There simply wasn't memory space enough to have both without a major rewrite of the engine.

Similarly, there might be greater performance gains in making other modifications - for example investigating ways of placing more calculations onto the GPU's. And by "greater" I here mean compared to effort. ED is serving a niche market, without a major publishing house backing them with money (which is good on it's own, since it doesn't force them to conform to the wishes of, say, the Board of Directors at Ubisoft), so taking on big projects with doubtful return is not something I'd want them to do. It could actually kill them, in theory. (Speculation though, on my part, since I've no clue what their financial statements look like, but I have background in the industry and know how tight most developers live financially even without serving a niche market.)

On 64-bit, I've actually seen it mentioned somewhere a couple months back that a prototype 64-bit executable is being worked on, though I don't know at what stage that project is right now.

The thing is, ED knows all of the things we want to have, and they know why we want them and how good they'd be. But ED also knows how much it would cost to make those things happen, and how many other things would have to be placed on hold while engineers are tasked with these things.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks for heads up. Always looking for newer technology implemented in our best past time. Truly hope they don't forget the Dedicated server request that has been wished since day 1...

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

lol, bite my head off then! I'm just responding to the thread subject. DCS, when you condider is a new release should be "packed to the rafters" with a new online community as well as old. I'm sorry, but 1 or 2 servers with a few players here and there IS practically Non-existent. Until there is at least a fighter it will stay that way. Lock On community even though its 5 or more years old is still much stronger than Black Shark simply because it has the essential ingredient of player v player.

What?? 1 or 2 servers?! But u don't mean the beta server's from 3 years ago right?:music_whistling:

:megalol:

I applaud the fact that ED intergrated in-game server browsing, but without basic chat and messaging built into the game the server browser and community will always suffer. Simply knowing who is out there, how many of them they are, and whether or not they want to play would create a HUGE positive impact on community.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 weeks later...