Note to the developers for the Apache AH-64A module

Ivonq

IIRC both pilots have the same controls so having command of your weapons systems should be a breeze, but then you're not taking advantage of the second guy in the cockpit.

As for what comes after the A-10C, no one really knows until ED announces what they're working on next.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

IIRC both pilots have the same controls so having command of your weapons systems should be a breeze, but then you're not taking advantage of the second guy in the cockpit.

As for what comes after the A-10C, no one really knows until ED announces what they're working on next.

Can you point me to some info on that?

I know the pilots have the special eye, I didn't know that they could fire all systems. Does the pilot have access to a target monitor as the gunner? Isn't the target data projected on the pilot's eye?

PS: I'm going to dive deeper into the Apache AH-64A documentation..., so I can be of more service!

Edited by Ivonq

I know the pilots have the special eye, I didn't know that they could fire all systems. Does the pilot have access to a target monitor as the gunner? Isn't the target data projected on the pilot's eye?

Assuming we're talking about the AH-64A (which would most likely be the variant ED made a sim of, if they make one), then pilot does have a monochrome video-screen in his cockpit which can show FLIR or DTV targeting images. The co-pilot however does have a headsdown eyepiece he can look through for targeting imaging. It also allows him to use the DVO sight which the pilot can't see on his monitor (though that is the least useful of the Apache's targeting systems).

Co-pilot's cockpit, note the big eyepiece sight in the center:

ah64copi.jpg

Pilot's cockpit. The targeting display is the small green display near the top centre (note how small it is, about the same size as the HSI, and not much bigger than the altitude gauge!):

P4242502.jpg

Both pilot's have flight controls, and both have a helmet sight. Though the pilot's night vision sensor is only available to one pilot at a time (since there is just one sensor), usually the pilot.

AlphaOneSix can probably fill in more about the differences between the cockpits of the A-model.

I cannot, other than to tell you an apache operator posted this for us before - or a maintenance guy - I forget who! :)

So yeah ... when the time comes for the AH-64, ED has SMEs.

PS: I'm going to dive deeper into the Apache AH-64A documentation..., so I can be of more service!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Assuming we're talking about the AH-64A (which would most likely be the variant ED made a sim of, if they make one), then pilot does have a monochrome video-screen in his cockpit which can show FLIR or DTV targeting images. The co-pilot however does have a headsdown eyepiece he can look through for targeting imaging. It also allows him to use the DVO sight which the pilot can't see on his monitor (though that is the least useful of the Apache's targeting systems).

Co-pilot's cockpit, note the big eyepiece sight in the center:

ah64copi.jpg

Pilot's cockpit. The targeting display is the small green display near the top centre (note how small it is, about the same size as the HSI, and not much bigger than the altitude gauge!):

P4242502.jpg

Both pilot's have flight controls, and both have a helmet sight. Though the pilot's night vision sensor is only available to one pilot at a time (since there is just one sensor), usually the pilot.

AlphaOneSix can probably fill in more about the differences between the cockpits of the A-model.

Thank you, I'll educate myself on this bird. Great picture!

I cannot, other than to tell you an apache operator posted this for us before - or a maintenance guy - I forget who! :)

So yeah ... when the time comes for the AH-64, ED has SMEs.

Thank you, I hope ED implements it well, as of today I'll gather reference material.

What's the meaning of SME?

Regards!!

Subject Matter Expert - in other words, pilots, technicians, and other people who have worked with the AH-64 directly.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS series use advantage of multicores (or use better in future). In my opinion the next step in videogames, or in this case, simulators, is AIPU (Artificial Inteligence Processor Unit). The market have CPU for general purpose, GPU for graphic acceleration, PPU for physic acceleration, and the logic new step is AI. Is the one of the most important feature for realistic experiencie.

If DCS use diferent cores for diferent works, can assign one or more cores for IA, for example ArmA 2 use one dedicated core for micro AI, RoF use dedicated core for physics and for FM. This is not futuristic, is reallity of today.

Yes, is complex work, but schedule a complex AI, dedicating one core for this, adding new world of posibilitys to a game. First, ability to add advanced control system of air space, similar of ATC in Falcon, and better, this advanced ATC ability to add Dynamic Campaign. But goes beyond, can add advanced control of terrain units, and this units can reacting more complex in combat situations.

And of course, this ability add advanced AI for multiseats aircrafts. In my opinion this is one of the most features for a realistic simulation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

DCS series use advantage of multicores (or use better in future). In my opinion the next step in videogames, or in this case, simulators, is AIPU (Artificial Inteligence Processor Unit). The market have CPU for general purpose, GPU for graphic acceleration, PPU for physic acceleration, and the logic new step is AI. Is the one of the most important feature for realistic experiencie.

If DCS use diferent cores for diferent works, can assign one or more cores for IA, for example ArmA 2 use one dedicated core for micro AI, RoF use dedicated core for physics and for FM. This is not futuristic, is reallity of today.

Yes, is complex work, but schedule a complex AI, dedicating one core for this, adding new world of posibilitys to a game. First, ability to add advanced control system of air space, similar of ATC in Falcon, and better, this advanced ATC ability to add Dynamic Campaign. But goes beyond, can add advanced control of terrain units, and this units can reacting more complex in combat situations.

And of course, this ability add advanced AI for multiseats aircrafts. In my opinion this is one of the most features for a realistic simulation.

Although, I like what they did in Arma 2, I think the technically the AI for the vehicles in Arma 2 is kinda handicapped. It still needs to evolve.

I'd like to see them release an updated gfx engine for the Apache module, and making sure that they got the two seater AI down.

I think the mod EECH did quite a good job on the Apache. Arma 2 was one of the reasons why I initiated this thread. As it has some critical AI errors when it comes to flying choppers.

• 2 months later...
Im all for the 'posibilities' of a multiplayer aircraft in a simulation.

ac-130h-0430-2.jpg

Why?

Cause i love cooperative work.

I totally agree with you on that one. This is one thing that I have not seen before in a military flightsim so it would be a new era that I would embrace with love :thumbup:

Go Ugly Early

I totally agree with you on that one. This is one thing that I have not seen before in a military flightsim so it would be a new era that I would embrace with love :thumbup:

Me too...oh yes, BIG GUN in the air :thumbup:

http://www.thebattlesim.com

AC-130U

ac130_photo.jpg

Edited by HungaroJET

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist