Automatic Turn On Target

Timm

Hi Guys,

Info please. I am trying to do this "Automatic Turn On Target" thingy and some where I am missing something. I'm in a good hover position with a target off to my right, I slew the Shkval over the target using my HMS and lock the target, I get the target lock comfirmation weapons armed and ready (still pointing away from target) go down to the Targeting Control Panel and press the "Auto Turn" button, and nothing happens still facing the same direction. Now if I press the "ROUTE" switch ® this will turn and then take me to the target, but I don't want that I just want to turn from the hover and fire. I'm sure I'm missing something. I have watch the training video on this, he's in the same sort of position and he mentions if you press this button you will turn to the target. Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

Hi Timm, sounds like you are doing things correctly. Maybe check that the yaw autopilot channel is enabled. I know some people prefer to fly with it off, but if it's off then the helo won't turn to the target. Also maybe check your rudder is trim/input is pretty close to neutral so the AP doesn't have to try and turn against it. It might be wind too, if it's very windy the shark might not turn itself. Hope that helps!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever" - Napoleon Bonaparte

yse, all of the Autopilot channels (except altitude hold!) should be on ..in this way the AP has control over yaw / heading...also make sure the Flight Director mode is OFF as it disengages the linkage for the AP channels and only gives HUD indications as to what the AP channels would like to be doing instead of actually turning the bird.

yse, all of the Autopilot channels (except altitude hold!) should be on ..in this way the AP has control over yaw / heading...also make sure the Flight Director mode is OFF as it disengages the linkage for the AP channels and only gives HUD indications as to what the AP channels would like to be doing instead of actually turning the bird.

If in auto hover, Alt hold is on and doesn't cause problems with auto turn to target.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for this info, still no joy. Here is what I can see in the cockpit. Timm

Target Lock

screenshot000y.jpg

screenshot001afj.jpg

Edited by Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

Hi,

Tried that also, but these are static tanks. Timm

Looking at your images it seems the target is a little off to the right - at a guess I'd say it's a yaw trim problem - either your feet are applying a bit of pedal input or you've got it trimmed that way.

I find I tend to get close with the auto-turn but then tweak with my feet to get fully lined up. Without proper force feedback/hydraulic pedals it's just something to put up with.

I've never used it so I'm not sure what it shows, but there's a command that let's you see controller positions I think - perhaps check that to see if it shows yaw input (make sure you've reset the trim beforehand).

r.

Hi,

OK found the key command for the input window ( r/ctrl+enter) and then went in for some cover,locked a target just off to the right as before. and still the same. I'm hovering nicely tried Auto Hover ON and free Hover. Weather is calm, It just won't do a Auto Turn to Target. Timm

screenshot000xqz.jpg

It doesn't matter, you can lock first and then click auto-turn button.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Hi,

Tried everything. Just one question the two switches down on the Auto Pilot Panel would they need to be set in any position? Timm

Edited by Timm

I think auto turn to target is not just accurate enough always to center properly even with no wind conditions and you need to compensate with rudder pedal. I usually give enough pedal to get "C" and then click trim when aligned with target.

My impression is that Turn 2 Target will only work while you are in ROUTE or HOVER mode. If you are just "hovering" manually and are not in HOVER mode, (and you are not in ROUTE mode), my experience is that Turn 2 Target does not do anything. Maybe a bug? maybe the way it works IRL? Surely the way it works in DCS-BS.

2600K @ 4.2GHz, MSI P67A-GD55, 16GB G.Skill @2133 , GTX 970, Rift, SSD boot & DCS drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My impression is that Turn 2 Target will only work while you are in ROUTE or HOVER mode. If you are just "hovering" manually and are not in HOVER mode, (and you are not in ROUTE mode), my experience is that Turn 2 Target does not do anything. Maybe a bug? maybe the way it works IRL? Surely the way it works in DCS-BS.

AToT will work everytime. Just uncage shkval and slew it around. Helo must follow your moves everytime. You don't even have to flip master arm or laser standby. Timm, try the default cold startup, turn on shkval and lift off. Then press AToT and slew it around. It must work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Given that its Russian and a pretty basic Heli in comparison to the Apache I think the system is working as it is meant to, i.e. Get the target reticule to appear in your HUD (you might be heads in slewing shval over datalink/memory targets). Once in your HUD its a pretty simple operation to move it that last few degrees over the target manually.

If however, you like to experiment then you can try -

1. R_CTRL + ENter, make sure your rudder pedals are centralised

2. Greate a short mission with No wind and No turblulence

3. Make sure you are not too heavy (fuel 50%)

4. Make sure you are settled nicely into auto hover before engaging AUTO TURN

Otherwise, with Rudder, move weapons reticule over target reticule, hold and trim. Then try and lock up another target and see if it works. If it does then you are just slightly out of rudder trim for some reason.

One of the nice things I like about this Heli/Sim is that most systems are NOT fully automatic. Flicking 1 switch and watching it all work automatically and perfectly might be for some but not for me.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

This is not at all my experience. For me turn-to-target works without autohover or route mode.

Timm, the only thing wrong that I can see is that you've got a "MAIN HYDRO" warning showing up on the ekran. Perhaps this is another symptom of the problem that's causing the autopilot issue. So, why are you getting the MAIN HYDRO warning?

Edit: I think the quickest way to solve this would be for you to post a track so that we can analyse the situation in detail.

Edited by slug88

Timm,

Your description of your process sounds good. The first screenshots seem to show that helo *is* pointed at the target, but, based on your posting (and follow-on screenies), I assume you have to point it there manually? Any chance you can upload a track file? It would be easier to visualize/troubleshoot without looking over your shoulder.

The rctrl-enter display looks a little off: in a trimmed hover, the cyclic should be a noticable ways forward of center. The fact that it is perfectly centered is a *little* worrisome, as this means the autopilot is using a great deal of its cyclic margin. The rudder inputs look good though, so this probably isn't the main cause of the Auto Turn to Target not working.

[edit: you can clear the Ekran warnings left over from startup by repeatedly pressing the Master Warning Light (rectangular red light on the left side of the front panel)]

Edited by EinsteinEP

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

Hi Guys,

Thanks alot for all this info. I have picked up a couple of things that might help.

1. In the main OPTIONS I have easy Flight checked should this be unchecked?

2. Couple of you have mentioned TRIM? I have not got that on at all, should I?

3. Also you mention for me to post a track what is that when it's working ?

Now Druid I have done what yoiu mention ie

Timm

Edited by Timm

Hi Guys,

Thanks alot for all this info. I have picked up a couple of things that might help.

1. In the main OPTIONS I have easy Flight checked should this be unchecked?

3. Also you mention for me to post a track what is that when it's working ?

Now Druid I have done what yoiu mention ie

Timm

Ok, so your problem is clear. You need to disable easy flight for turn-to-target to work (as per a poster above). The fact that you have easy flight on explains how you can maintain a hover without trimming.

Note that if you wish to disable easy flight, you will have a large number of new issues to occupy you long before you can think of using the turn-to-target mode. Most importantly, you will need to become intimately familiar with the functionality of the trimmer button on your cyclic, as proficient trimming is absolutely crucial to flying in realistic mode. I recommend watching the Producer's Notes on trimming, as well as reading the pertinent sections of the manual and the stickied Noobies Guides on this forum.

Also, just to get you off on the right foot, I'll address this statement of yours:

Trim isn't something that can be turned on or off. It is always 'on', just like your cyclic input is always on. In simplest terms, you press the trim button whenever you want the helicopter to maintain your current flight regime without any further input from you. For example, if you bank left and enter a turn, you can press the trim button, then take your hands off the stick, and the helicopter will try to maintain that turn. Or, similarily, you can get yourself going along a particular heading with a particular speed and altitude, and then when you press trim, the helicopter will try to maintain those parameters without further input. In practice, using the trimmer is a bit more complicated than that, and there are various methods of employing trim, each with advantages and disadvantages and each requiring various levels of finesse. But, ultimately, trim is a button that tells the helicopter to keep doing what it's doing when you've pressed it.

Edited by slug88
  • Like 1

Hi Slug88,

Thanks alot I have just tried a flight with easy flight un check OH dear I think I better go back to flight school, did a couple of ground loops, three back flips and many more other things which I will not mention. I will have to master the flying again. Thanks alot bud for you very in depth guide. Timm