Autohover

pfrabott

Question..

I have tried engaging autohover (I have it assigned to my flight stick) but it doesn't engage. I think I'm doing something wrong or making assumptions..

If I am moving less then 4 knots and my VS is less then 2 does autohover work?

Does autohover cause the helicopter to hover while I am not holding the joystick.

How do I know when I have autohover engaged? (Is there a light?)

Do I have to set up any instruments to get autohover to work?

What happens if I try to move while autohover is engaged?

Does autohover use the autopilot? (I don't think I have the autopilot working either which is why I am asking)

Thanks,

If I am moving less then 4 knots and my VS is less then 2 does autohover work?
As long as at least the Bank Hold and Pitch Hold autopilot modes are on and Route Mode is not engaged.

Does autohover cause the helicopter to hover while I am not holding the joystick.
Yes.

How do I know when I have autohover engaged? (Is there a light?)
There will be an indicator light on the upper panel

Do I have to set up any instruments to get autohover to work?
I don't know for sure, but I would expect that the doppler velocimeter and the radar altimeter need to be functioning. No cockpit instrumentation is required, although the HUD and HSI both provide useful information during autohover.

What happens if I try to move while autohover is engaged?
The autopilot will attempt to correct, however, it will not be able to instantly zero out whatever inputs you provide, and is overall limited to only 20% of the max control available. If you provide more than 20% input, the autohover will not be able to maintain a hover over the specific point ( or at the specified altitude, if altitude mode is engaged) and, when you release the control pressure, the autopilot may overcompensate. If you need to make large control changes, you should disengage the autohover, or use the trimmer accordingly.

Does autohover use the autopilot? (I don't think I have the autopilot working either which is why I am asking)
Autohover is a function of the autopilot.
Edited by EinsteinEP

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

If you are not trimmed out for hover or near-hover, autohover will usually not work. In short, if you're not in a near-hover with your hand off the stick, then you have too much input for the autohover to handle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There is a button just above your hud, which states autopilot, look up in the cockpit. When you try to move, you slowly move forward.

I can't see any button above HUD for autopilot, or is it the "game" mode?

Any pictures in manual?

Thanks.

its not a button, its a light. On the upper left panel. It will light up when autohover mode is activated. Just above it is a light for 'r-alt', when you have the altitude autopilot engaged and in radar altitude mode, and to the right of that is the route mode indicator.

Its in the manual, but I don't have it with me at the moment.