First I gotta say.. Wow.

ArmedGeek

This is certainly a decent sim. Well Done, DCS! I'm a noob to the KA-50, but a veteran of Falcon4. So far, I like what I see and I sooo very hope that DCS makes enough money off of Black Shark to continue producing sims.

All that said .... a helicopter is a damn sight more difficult to control than a jet. You know, with a jet the speed is higher so control surfaces don't respond as quickly. It's nothing to release the controls of Falcon 4.0 for a time to configure weapons/radar/chat/grab another beer/etc ... The Ka-50 is not so ... forgiving. I like it. You cover less ground per second than an F-16 but the controls are that much more responsive.

That said, I'd like to bitch about the Tutorial vids ... The "rule" for jets is "one pass and haul ass" ... which means you only overfly the target ONCE. You need your targeting and weapons configured for ONE pass. You tag the hell out of the target and "haul ass". Overflying the target is #`1 way to get shot down. That's for a jet. In a heli ... YOU NEVER OVERFLY A LIVE TARGET! EVER. Just don't do it. I t will get you smoked.

Tactical for a heli is "sneaky-bastard". You either whack the target outside of its effective range OR you sneak up on it from low altitude using trees/terrain as cover, you pop up .. kill .. drop down. The tutorials are great for the techicals of what controls to use, but eh tactics suck. Anyhow, love it.

Look forward to learning to fly a heli and GOOD JOB DEVS!

Edited by ArmedGeek

Yes, I think you're right about the tutorials - however, I think they are meant to be an introduction - then you learn to fly tactical when you have started to memorize all the normal procedures.

Btw, from having a look at frugal forums, there seem to be a few people who love F4, but hates DCS:BS due to issues like "cannot crash with trees" (isnt modelled) etc.

I loved the F3 and F4 series myself - but I dont understand why some come to "hate" DCS:BS due to lacking features. F4 have it's share of lacking features as well - and creating a simulator is making a series of decisions and compromises.

Oh, and welcome to the mud! :D

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning