Flight Dynamic Engine

For less money you could probably cobble together a seat-mover and write/repurpose your own software if you don't care about simulating vehicle movement and just want something that will bump you around.

I hope we can have this option for a long time... Because with 6DOF HT... :music_whistling:

Great idea and hardware. I don't think it's overpriced. It's a really cool, nice and complete package!

And with a good site, a lot of info!

Edited by LoBiSoMeM

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the previous poster meant $2995; which is the starting price for a full motion system that provides simulation quality motion. This has always been the price since our product launch in early May, 2009.

For less money you could probably cobble together a seat-mover and write/repurpose your own software if you don't care about simulating vehicle movement and just want something that will bump you around.

We are in the business of providing a quality simulation experience and to this end offer the same components found in our $25K military grade simulator, but without the expensive racecar grade steel chassis and aircraft grade aluminum yaw bearing.

Our intention is enabling the more mechanical savvy simulation enthusiasts the opportunity to add realistic motion simulation to their cockpit designs.

Thanks again for your interest, as discussion among the simulation community will only make motion simulator technology better.

Michael Boardman

SimCraft Information Officer

M Boardman @ SimCraft . com

So how far does your pit move? Is it 360 degrees movement roll/pitch/yaw?

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Hey all

Does anyone have some good detailed reference links for the Ka-50 on the web.

Or maybe a good book on the aircraft?

I realize that this might be condsidered clasified info for civillians, but I was just curious to no more about the yaw and cyclic system. Is the tail rudder the only means of yaw control in the aircraft?

can't really seem to find some detailed specs.

anything would be helpfull.

all I seem to find is the basic like presentaion material.

• Like 1

If you search the forum for posts by AirTito you'll find lots of information here about the cyclic/collective/twin rotor system/trim system etc.etc. (Incidentally - the primary Yaw control mechanism is the rotors - the helicopter is controlable & flies reasonably well without a tail... :-)

Cheers.

Yeah, yaw control is achieved in two ways - rudder (not really useful in cases of zero or very low airspeed), and differential torque on the rotors.

Simplified, if you have a rotorblade alpha of 7 degrees and want to yaw, the rudder input might make the lower rotor gain one degree while the upper rotor loses one degree. Total lift is maintained, but there is added torque in one rotational axis and this causes the helicopter to yaw.

To inspect this, view the helicopter from an external view where you have the rotor discs level, then slam hard rudder in either direction and you'll see changes. You can also inspect it while on the ground with the engines off - give rudder input while sitting outside (zoomed on the rotor mast) and you'll see things happening there.

I seem to have a vague memory of someone (Tito? YoYo?) mentioning that one of the primary reasons for the addition of a rudder was to allow the pilot better yaw authority while in autorotation, but I can't quite recall the details.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I seem to have a vague memory of someone (Tito? YoYo?) mentioning that one of the primary reasons for the addition of a rudder was to allow the pilot better yaw authority while in autorotation, but I can't quite recall the details.

Correct. During powered flight, the main gearbox "drives" the rotor system, resulting in a lot of torque. Differential torque, as previously mentioned, is used to control yaw. In an autorotation (unpowered flight), the process reverses and the main gearbox is driven by the rotor system. There is still torque involved, since the main gearbox is not frictionless, but there is less torque involved than during powered flight. Kamov aircraft have an ingenious design that automatically reverses the control inputs during autorotation, otherwise the pilot would have to remember that the pedals get reversed. Since the switchover is automatic (unsure exactly how that's done, I think it's a Kamov trade secret), right pedal turns you to the right no matter if you are powered or unpowered.

Anyway, since there is less torque in unpowered flight, the tail boom includes a movable rudder to help yaw the aircraft.

I am curious

How much yaw or in respect to yaw. How fast should one be able to get the heli to turn in one direction or another. I have been playing with my axis inputs and trying to get the heli a little more snappy in the yaw control.

sometimes in combat situations it seems rather slow to turn. or is this just normal for this heli? I know things are different in different situation. So I am speaking just in general here.

It's a very heavy helicopter; it doesn't do 'snappy', unless in comparison to other helis of similar weight.

Perhaps you're fighting the autopilot though, in which case it might seem quite sluggish.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thanks

I was just curious.

And I never have anything flying my heli but me.

I make sure everything except the dampining system is off unless I need it for some reason.

Even if I have to input new settings into the abris or something like that I just trim and make sure I'm not going to hit anything!...lol

Like I said I was curious.

....sometimes in combat situations it seems rather slow to turn. or is this just normal for this heli? I know things are different in different situation. So I am speaking just in general here.

Depends on your Engagement parameters.......Personally I engage from Distance, very rarely venturing closer than 3k's. Should the need arise (in a moment of reckless disregard) to get close, I found it to be prudent to 'Run in from Altitude, Engage and Break' so to speak, using your speed and altitude to break either left or right after engagement, akin to a rudimentary 'Split-S'.

Usually the Whirly-Bird's pretty nimble and the maneuver lets you get away with adequate haste, leaving you only with the odd scratch or two to your paintwork......As the saying goes: Speed, Altitude or Brains....You Always need at least Two!

:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Well if I'm out of either speed or altitude I'm knackered then!!!!!!!! :cry:

:megalol:

Surely you Jest you Do!

:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• ED Team
Correct. During powered flight, the main gearbox "drives" the rotor system, resulting in a lot of torque. Differential torque, as previously mentioned, is used to control yaw. In an autorotation (unpowered flight), the process reverses and the main gearbox is driven by the rotor system. There is still torque involved, since the main gearbox is not frictionless, but there is less torque involved than during powered flight. Kamov aircraft have an ingenious design that automatically reverses the control inputs during autorotation, otherwise the pilot would have to remember that the pedals get reversed. Since the switchover is automatic (unsure exactly how that's done, I think it's a Kamov trade secret), right pedal turns you to the right no matter if you are powered or unpowered.

Anyway, since there is less torque in unpowered flight, the tail boom includes a movable rudder to help yaw the aircraft.

It's not a trade secret :) and no reversing is necessary. It's only a rotor physics. When the helo of classic scheme get autorotating the torque disappears so the pilot has to return rudder pedals to neutral.

The yaw authority due to the tail rotor remains more than significant.

The helo with coaxial rotors has no torque to compensate during powered flight thus no significant rudder input is not necessary on transition to autorotation.

But coaxial rotor in AR has differential moment causing yaw and the differential pitch control has low authority. At certain conditions this effect can be counter pedal input. The big rudder is used to have a mean to compensate this yaw moment and have adequate and significant control effect.

You have to maintain airspeed not only to obtain lowest sink rate but to preserve yaw controllability.

While flaring the pilot must increase collective and this control input transfers rotor from AR to propeller mode using its inertion so the yaw controllability restores.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Speed, Altitude or Brains....You Always need at least Two!

There's another that says you should always have at least one of:

• daylight
  • good weather
  • fuel

:)

sometimes in combat situations it seems rather slow to turn. or is this just normal for this heli?

Compared to a blackhawk or huey it's snappy as hell. And remember that in combat you'll be close to max all up weight. Dump all your stores and half your fuel, she'll perk right up :)

Edited by ruprecht

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Just to add my piece. BS feels right to me, it does take a bit of practice and you do need to spend a little time adjusting your setup. I also fly RC helicopters, although there is some similarity to full scale helis, without doing the maths common sense dictates, particularly in terms on inertia, they are going to behave very differently. Does anyone have a comparison written by a genuine Ka-50 pilot?

Just to add, for those wanting to fly twitchy RC aircraft a brilliant Flight Simulator is:

http://www.realflight.com/

Thanks GGTharos for your reply below.

Edited by StewJW

Not currently; however this simulation was created with much help from the Russian Army Aviation's pilots who actively fly the Ka-50.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team

I have just watched a video created in the 1960's about training Huey pilots for Vietnam.

The key point is to make very minor inputs for the cyclic when in the hover.

The statement was "Never move your cyclic more than the width of a silver dollar".

As a Brit, I do not know what the width is of a silver dollar! But a guess - one inch?

Edited by JimMack
more info

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

• ED Team
U got link to that vid, JimMack or did you watch it from some thingy that plays VHS? :D

It was on "Helicopter Wars" on the UK Nat Geo channel, sorry - I did not save it.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.