Can not enable AA, AF or V-sync for my GTX 295

jermin

Just got a copy of the game recently. But after some traning missions, I have found I could not enable AA, AF or V-sync for the game. The graphics were still jagged and the screen was still torn even I hadenable AA, AF and V-sync in the nHancer. And with a 4 Ghz i7 920, my fps was still at a low level with affinity set for 8 cores. The in-games graphics settings are all maxed out except the mirrors disabled. Resolution is set at 1280x1024. With these settings, the FPS is only around 30 in the cockpit in the hover control training mission. And The video card driver is up to date. Even with maxed out settings in ArmA 2, I can get a fps higher than this.

What driver-version do you use for your GTX295?

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I'm using a GTX 295 with AA and AF here. Win7 x64 though - on 185.85 drivers.

Also as you say - Im not getting much out of affinity, I think the one core gets the most out most of DCS anyway - but the performance for GTX295 is not as high as I expected.

So I rarely use any affinity trick anyway, no gain there.

At 1600x1200 Im at ~25-45 in most situations. (25 for really heavy duty stuff at some of the MP servers - singleplayer is mostly much better quite often up in the 40-60 range).

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Try disable sli for this game as it doesn't help much. Also try DCS max with the 30 seconds delay for setting game affinity. Also try to disable hyper threading.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Try disable sli for this game as it doesn't help much. Also try DCS max with the 30 seconds delay for setting game affinity. Also try to disable hyper threading.

At least for myself, nah - I got sufficient performance for a Sim. It it was a FPS game I might have thought otherwise.

What I'm saying is ... Out of the box experience is good enough - altough I could have expected better ... for me that is :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

FPS is always relative. It depends on a lot of factors. E.g. no word was spent here on FSAA and AF settings ;) - without it, I run well at above 80FPS and my machine is not much different from yours, Panzertard, but with 16xAF and 8xSupersampling, that looks a bit different.

That said, I also tend to say that jermin's problems origin either from the Twin-GPU, which is not really supported by DCS at the moment, or from a faulty driver installation. Also check your settings in the graphics driver. E.g. enabling v-synch without enabling Tripplebuffer can have some really bad effect on performance in some games and also some odd effects.

So my 2 cents: Try running DCS:BS on a single GPU and if that doesn't help, try to reinstall drivers. Before that, I'd also lower cockpit resolution. You won't benefit much from higher resolutions of the MFDs, yet it can cause a tremendous performance loss. When that is the problem, you will see a performance hit when activating SHKVAL-sensor and/or ABRIS.

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

if you have the 'water' option maxed out it is a big fps killer. I use D3D Overrider to get the vsync working with my ATI card. Your system should run 1920x1200, all game options maxed except for water, all card settings maxed except for AA, with mirrors on and MFDs set to full, with fps from 20's tp 60 fps (vsync limit) with no problem. Don't expect more fps than that. Hope you get it fixed...

I have same card, i7 950, and 12gb ram running vista 64 and have great FPS. I have water at moderate, and mirrors off. Everything else is maxed. I have not experienced a large battle enviro yet which may kill FPS, as I am currently on mission two in the first campaign. However, so far, the sim runs great!

The Rig: i5 7700k OC 4.6ghz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Notes on affinity: some i7 users have reported gains when disabling hyperthreading. That's something you do in the BIOS, and if you are uncomfortable with being in the BIOS do not touch it.

But it should be said that you do NOT have 8 cores. You have 8 logical cores - that is, you have 4 actual cores and with hyperthreading enabled each core can run two threads, giving the OS the appearance of 8 cores. The idea with disabling hyperthreading is that you are not dividing the actual cores into separate tasks, something that can theoretically cause single-thread applications (like DCS) to only run on half the power a given core has, and this is paramount since the gains from affinity applications like DCSMax is caused by the OS getting the freedom to move the thread to whichever core has the least load - you are not making it run on more than one core simultaneously.

There are also very exhaustive tests run by Maximus_G that indicate that there are no gains in setting affinity to more than two cores. Relevant post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=668163&postcount=16

from thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=39823&highlight=affinity+i7

Even with maxed out settings in ArmA 2' date=' I can get a fps higher than this.[/quote']

Completely different ballpark. In ArmA 2 it is your GPU that is the big deal in FPS. In DCS there is so much heavy duty simulation work being done that it's your CPU that matters.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Just got a copy of the game recently. But after some traning missions, I have found I could not enable AA, AF or V-sync for the game. The graphics were still jagged and the screen was still torn even I hadenable AA, AF and V-sync in the nHancer. And with a 4 Ghz i7 920, my fps was still at a low level with affinity set for 8 cores. The in-games graphics settings are all maxed out except the mirrors disabled. Resolution is set at 1280x1024. With these settings, the FPS is only around 30 in the cockpit in the hover control training mission. And The video card driver is up to date. Even with maxed out settings in ArmA 2, I can get a fps higher than this.

There is a bug in 190.38 that is affecting the forced application of AA and AF in profiles in many games. Turn off in game AA for Arma2 and try to force it to see if the same thing happens.

To fix it, you can try forcing your settings Globally rather than in the profile, I have had some success with this. Alternatively you can get 186.18 driver until they fix the problem.

*Some people are reporting that this issue is caused by Nhancer. However, I have tried uninstalling nHancer and then reinstalling 190.38 and still had the same problem. Although I do think nHancer needs an update to properly deal with the new Nvidia options in the profiles.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

EVGA put out an SLI enhancement patch that specifically mentions DCS:BS I've installed that. You can change the profile in your Nvidia control panel. Thats has always worked for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Reverting to 186.18 drivers fixed my AA & AF problems.:)

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into this problem on my GTX295 today, too, after buying BS y'day. Forcing AA and AF in a dedicated BS profile or via nHancer did not work for me (when running either 190.38 or 190.56 drivers) but worked if I set the AA and AF in the global Nvidia CP profile.

P45 Platinum, Q9550 @ 3.33Ghz, HD6970 w/2gb, X-Fi Titanium PCIE, 4gb RAM, ANTEC 1000watt PSU, Lian Li PC-A71 case, Win7 64bit, CH Throttle and Fighterstick, Saitek Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro, 3 x Samsung SyncMaster 2443

I installed Win7 RC1 7100 x86 for now. Have a dual boot.

Getting up to 2x the fps comparing to XP Pro SP2.

16X AF, 4X AA, Texture Quality on High Quality in Nvidia panel.

Runs smooth with 185.81 beta driver for Win7, even on the Panzertard's server. Never goes below 25fps, where it used to go 15 and 7-9 with Shkval, which was unplayable. Mostly fps in the 40s flying around the mission.

With the latest 190.38 driver it ran like crap, maybe because it has the stereocrap installed as well. So I rolled back to a beta driver, problem solved.

Win7 seems to be pretty good. I even got the Gameport and my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro to work in it, with a little effort.

I even ran DCS in window mode and used the WinKey Tab to scroll through the windows and it actually continued playing the game, looked very cool in a window at an angle and moving, sweet!

Edited by [SCoRPioN]
  • Like 1

My first computer and my ED collection:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I won FC1 in the original Lock On Tournament in 2005:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=8805

Ran into this problem on my GTX295 today, too, after buying BS y'day. Forcing AA and AF in a dedicated BS profile or via nHancer did not work for me (when running either 190.38 or 190.56 drivers) but worked if I set the AA and AF in the global Nvidia CP profile.

Another user posted this fix that worked good for me to correct the AA +AF problem.

Open Nvidia control pannel: go to the option for Adjust image settings with preview and toggle it between Let the App decide and Use advance settings, make sure you hit apply. then your AA and AF will work again...do this even if you already have the use advance dettings checked. Until you do no setting for AA or AF in the DCS profile will work not even in global(for me anyways)

Edited by Slayer
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Another user posted this fix that worked good for me to correct the AA +AF problem.

Open Nvidia control pannel: go to the option for Adjust image settings with preview and toggle it between Let the App decide and Use advance settings, make sure you hit apply. then your AA and AF will work again...do this even if you already have the use advance dettings checked. Until you do no setting for AA or AF in the DCS profile will work not even in global(for me anyways)

And that worked perfectly - thank you :-)

P45 Platinum, Q9550 @ 3.33Ghz, HD6970 w/2gb, X-Fi Titanium PCIE, 4gb RAM, ANTEC 1000watt PSU, Lian Li PC-A71 case, Win7 64bit, CH Throttle and Fighterstick, Saitek Pro Pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro, 3 x Samsung SyncMaster 2443

Do you usually have resolution set at 1280x1024, or only for BS? Just asking because a 295 will struggle to work at that low res. Its a SLI card basically, and SLI really starts to kick butt at 1680x1080 and above, can you go higher on res, and whats the result? Also why are you using nhancer, you can force AA,AF and V-sync on any game thru NCP as already mentioned. And anytime someone mentions nhancer on the Nvidia SLI forum, people faint, and others run screaming from the room.

O..M..G This has been doing my (and many, many other people's) head in for a couple of months now.:doh: Thank you, thank you, thank you, your fix worked like a charm :thumbup:, STOOOPID nividia:chair:

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On