ATI Radeon Catalyst 9.7 crashes my computer in Black Shark

Ramstein

ATI Radeon Catalyst 9.7 crashes my computer in Black Shark. I ran Radeon Catalyst 9.7 RC3 drivers for 6 weeks with no problems, I just uninstalled those and tried the official Cat 9.7 and my computer crashes and reboots when I load a mission, and I either just get to the screen to select a helo, or actually get ina helo and select map view with the F10 key.

I have already, uininstalled Cat 9.7 and then re-installed them, still crashes and reboots the computer. I have been running Balck Shark since January with the same computer, same hardware, same software. First time this has happened with the Radeon Catalyst drivers.

I have WinXP Pro X32.

:cry:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

It appears that it's not the drivers.. still I don't know why Black Shark crashes. My other games/sims run fine..

I cannot even get to the screen to choose a helo before the computer reboots..

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

hm... looks like unstable system, system restarts for me were due to my overclocking so had to play with BIOS settings more so if you are overclocking you might wanna check that or maybe your PSU is on its limits

No longer active in DCS...

so far No luck, nada,, Blacl Shark just crashes my computer. It happens just before the select helo screen should appear. Bam! it just reboots..

no overcolcking,, common guys think past all the easy stuff! {Please.. :doh:

It happens in offline and online mode..

I have also unplugged my Saitek stick, disconnected my 2nd monito (HDMI cable to LCD TV)...

Will try a couple more things..

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

maybe you deleted some files, like video card driver, directX etc. Try reinstalling latest DirectX from MS and ofcourse, if you think this only happened after you tried new driver, revert back to previous one, but I still think it's your PC not being stable, not the game. Maybe PSU wearing off

No longer active in DCS...

I would have reported the problem on the ATI forums / support.

Even though there are people who have no problem with this it's still relevant that you have updated your drivers (from a Beta as well).

Maybe there's a situation / issue that needs to be solved by ATI - hence they may need a report.

EDIT: To get your DCS:BS to work again, why dont you downgrade to 9.6 again?

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I just unistalled and re-installed WinXP, BS is still broken.

Something bad happened..

I tried Radeon Cat 9.6 and 9.7.

note: only one Radeon display adapter is showing in the device manager, should be two. I am stumped what's broken.. hope it isn't my video card.

But, IL-2 1946 and other programs run fine. It's only Black Shark that isn't running, and crashes my computer while loading the mission. LockOn will load onto my new install but Flaming Cliffs will not install, it crashes my computer too. Falcon4:AF does play. I still have not installed a few more flight sims, it appears that when this particular problem happens withya video card, some application and games will play and others wil not play, or not even install.

Edited by Ramstein

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

Look like when others had this problem they had to get a new video card..

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=297293&highlight=adapter

I sent an email to Sapphire for an RMA, it has a 2 year warranty and is 1.5 years old.

Edited by Ramstein

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

I sent the Radeon 2900 Pro in with an RMA. Meanwhile, I have another computer that I use as a second computer and a general family computer. it runs Black Shark as a server with Servman, and it does it ok. But I tried playing BS missions on it and it chokes badly. It has a P4 3.2 GHZ CPU with a Radeon X1850 Pro video card. It gets really slow FPS playing Black Shark on it. (only about 5 FPS) it appears the old Pentium 4 CPU's are just to old and slow for Black Shark.

My main computer that has the Radeon 2900 Pro has a 1.8 GHZ Duo2Core CPU and runs fine.

Should have my Main computer back up by next week.. :joystick:

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

• 2 weeks later...

Update with the Sapphire Radeon HD3870 Sapphire sent as a replacement for my Radeon 2900 Pro PCI-e 512mb.

Win7 info included with Black Shark and Win7.

the Radeon 2900 Pro developed a problem when I updated the Cat driver from 9.7RC3 to 9.7 Cat final. It no longer showed as two Display adapters in WinXP device manager.

In Black Shark the ATI Sapphire Radeon HD3870 PCI-e will only work in low graphics settings in game. My Radeon 2900 Pro PCI-e 512 MB ran fine on Medium grphic settings in game.

It still only shows one adapter in the device manager in WinXP.

Also, in Win7 the Sapphire Radeon HD3870 512MB PCI-e in Bkack Shark crashes the computer. MY Radeon 2900 Pro had no problems.

:cry:

Edited by Ramstein

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI